Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Key Mod vs M-Lok

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    There are still plenty of face shooters using KeyMod equipment. Even Garand Thumb has mentioned this.

I’ve been using KMR rails since they debuted. Not a single issue despite some real abuse (patrol and specialty work).

I don’t begrudge anybody who chooses MLok, but both are very strong. More than strong enough to fill any combat style role they are set against.

Buy what you like from a quality manufacturer. I would rather have a quality MLok rail over a cheap KeyMod rail and vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I am with Mark. We have been using KM since BCM introduced the original mag alloy KMR. The people who had KM fail either couldn't read, couldn't understand what they read or didn't follow instructions. Not sure the Crane results were not influenced by lobbyist. It wouldn't be the first time. In the end I don't think one system is better than the other if used properly.
    The Crane results, as shown in their PP presentation images, were deeply flawed.

Several years ago, I dismantled their garbage protocol and setup here on M4C. It was the kind of test-rigging and failure to control for variables that would get one eliminated from a 4th grade science fair in the first round.

"That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    The SBR that I ordered with M-Lok rails is still in the process of being made. Meanwhile, I purchased a Bren 2 pistol in 7.62x39. I put in the magazine well insert to get it to take 7.62x39 AR15 mags. It runs like a champ and will be SBR'd as soon as CZ-USA has the stock and other parts available. One thing that I don't like about the pistol is that the front handguard is all metal and doesn't seem to really have a good place to grip on it. Since it's also M-Lok, I decided to get some M-Lok grip panels. I ordered and received the grip panels, but they don't fit. Of course I could be doing something wrong.

As you can see, the sides of the grip panels bend back at an angle. It looks to me like they're made for an octagon shaped handguard. Because of this, they don't sit flush to the surface and the parts that stick out down the center line of the backside of the grip panel do not fit within the slots on the Bren. Additionally, the grip panel can't be screwed down because it rubs against the sling loop above and the screwed in panel behind it. Did I just order the wrong grip panel? If not, what am I missing? If so, where can I get one that will fit?

Also, since this has to do with the M-Lok and this Bren in particular, what's the purpose of the piece behind where I'm trying to locate the grip panel? I took it off and just don't understand it's purpose. Seems like a lot of pointless machining and screws. Any idea? I think I'm missing something.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I have both and like both.

Keymod is very simple (but not necessarily idiot-proof) to mount your accessories on, but evidently isn't as strong as MLOK.

With MLOK, it's more difficult to mount accessories, but it's supposed to be stronger than keymod.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    The Crane results, as shown in their PP presentation images, were deeply flawed.

Several years ago, I dismantled their garbage protocol and setup here on M4C. It was the kind of test-rigging and failure to control for variables that would get one eliminated from a 4th grade science fair in the first round.

That’s an eye opener right there. Makes me less likely to want to switch out my KMR-A rail now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    The SBR that I ordered with M-Lok rails is still in the process of being made. Meanwhile, I purchased a Bren 2 pistol in 7.62x39. I put in the magazine well insert to get it to take 7.62x39 AR15 mags. It runs like a champ and will be SBR'd as soon as CZ-USA has the stock and other parts available. One thing that I don't like about the pistol is that the front handguard is all metal and doesn't seem to really have a good place to grip on it. Since it's also M-Lok, I decided to get some M-Lok grip panels. I ordered and received the grip panels, but they don't fit. Of course I could be doing something wrong.

As you can see, the sides of the grip panels bend back at an angle. It looks to me like they're made for an octagon shaped handguard. Because of this, they don't sit flush to the surface and the parts that stick out down the center line of the backside of the grip panel do not fit within the slots on the Bren. Additionally, the grip panel can't be screwed down because it rubs against the sling loop above and the screwed in panel behind it. Did I just order the wrong grip panel? If not, what am I missing? If so, where can I get one that will fit?

Also, since this has to do with the M-Lok and this Bren in particular, what's the purpose of the piece behind where I'm trying to locate the grip panel? I took it off and just don't understand it's purpose. Seems like a lot of pointless machining and screws. Any idea? I think I'm missing something.
    Take a look at slim Mlok panels.

Or, just cut the slant off of one of the sides of each panel you already have?
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 08-27-20 at 20:08.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mm1990 View Post
    That’s an eye opener right there. Makes me less likely to want to switch out my KMR-A rail now.
    I have zero plans to eliminate any keymod rail I'm using.

Don't do it if you thought you were addressing a weakpoint in keymod.

I've still got a first generation BCM KMR (made from magnesium alloy). Been beating on that damn thing for years. Patrol car trunks, gun racks, training, deployment in the field, etc. Its now on my wife's carbine and, frankly, she beats the sh*t out of it too.

That is the most fragile form of KMR.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I purchased a new rail which arrived today via FedEx - yep its key mod (and pic rail).

It really comes down to usage. I probably will only install a light mount and a QD sling socket and covers on the key mod part of the rail so it's not holding me back.

Andy

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I have zero plans to eliminate any keymod rail I'm using.

Don't do it if you thought you were addressing a weakpoint in keymod.

I've still got a first generation BCM KMR (made from magnesium alloy). Been beating on that damn thing for years. Patrol car trunks, gun racks, training, deployment in the field, etc. Its now on my wife's carbine and, frankly, she beats the sh*t out of it too.

That is the most fragile form of KMR.

I still have 2 of the originals also. I'm not as hard on them as you describe, but they've never disappointed and I see no reason whatsoever to change them.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I just switched all my rifles to MLOK. This isn't because of a perceived weakness of keymod, but I wanted continuity across the board, and I prefer the look of MLOK. I've also noticed more after aftermarket support for MLOK recently.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast