Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Key Mod vs M-Lok

Feedback Score
    I am still not convinced either is better than pic rail.

With KeyMod, it’s easier to tell which way is forward by seeing which way the ****s are pointed. I guess Mlok goes both ways.

Feedback Score
    I really appreciate the help here. I'll go the M-Lok route since that seems to be the way market availability of accessories is going.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Call me crazy but I like keymod. I have both and while mlok is obviously the chosen one, I just like keymod. Not that it matters much either way.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've now got roughly equal numbers of each type. Once an accessory is attached, the interface ceases to matter.

I greatly prefer the way accessories attach to KeyMod.

If enough force is applied to my handguard to detach a high quality KeyMod accessory, I'm probably broken as well.

......but M-LOK looks better, some may say. WGAF about how a handguard looks? Most of it will have covers or accessories hiding the interface.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I will say this, I have had keymod handguards of one type or another and I have several M-LOK handguards. Although there is nothing wrong with the Keymod system, I much prefer M-LOK as the aesthetics are better and makes for a much cleaner look. There was a time where there was a limited amount of accessories for the M-LOK system, but that is not the case anymore. Recently, I did some upgrading on an AR I built back in 2012 of which I installed a set of MI Keymod drop-in handguards. Those were replaced with a new Centurion Arms C4 M-LOK Rail handguard (12" Carbine - FSP). It works much better. I did away with the BCM VFG that was on the old handguards and used the Centurion Arms MLOK CMR Handguard Rail Covers and Centurion Arms MLOK CMR Handguard Hand Stop. Much cleaner and much more functional for me.

Keymod vs. M-LOK, it is a personal preference, but M-LOK seems to be the go-to these days and you will see Keymod handguards on sale quite often because they do not move like they used to.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I’ll add only that not all rails are created equal in terms of overall durability.

Some KMRs are studs
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    KeyMod = Easier to attach, detach and reattach stuff on the fly.
    MLok = More permanent attachments.

I have no need for on the fly accessory three card monte, so I am OK with MLOK.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an original KMR and a C4 MLOK. Keymod is vastly easier to attach stuff to, but if you're the set it & forget it type then you should look to the Crane report on mounting strength. Personally I don't think it matters much for most accessories people attach, but MLOK is significantly stronger than keymod, and seems to be the way the market is going. That said there's still plenty of keymod accessories out there.

Get the rail you want and ignore mounting system.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Mlok = VHS
    Keymod = beta max
    MLOK = Blu-Ray
    Keymod = HD DVD

Feedback Score
    Personally, I don't care what rail system to get. As long as you can get the stuff to put on them, I'm golden. Here's the deal though. It's been stated before, but I want to stress it again... GO M-LOK.

I recently picked up a new-to-me rifle. She's actually a "new" as in unfired rifle, but she's not "new" as in a newly manufactured one. She's an 18" Larue Tactical Stealth 2.0. The old version with the Keymod rail. She was leftover from some GSA contract, and just never sold. Now they build good guns. The fit, and finish is excellent. I expect her to shoot just fine, so I bought her, but when I went to order a light mount, VFG, and sling attachment point... it was a huge PITA...

Because Keymod.

That said... She's ready now, so I'm not worried any more. Time to take her out, and shoot.
    However, had she been M-lok, it would have been much easier.
    Of course, I might have payed more for her too...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 07-21-20 at 23:58.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast