Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Key Mod vs M-Lok

Feedback Score
    I have one M-Lok hand guard and a couple of Key-mod's and even a couple of Troy TRX rails. Personally I really like Key-mod best but you can get nearly any kind of mount from IWC but they have a good selection of Key-mod https://www.impactweaponscomponents....tegory/keymod/
    but they all work if you can follow directions.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    KeyMod = Easier to attach, detach and reattach stuff on the fly.
    MLok = More permanent attachments.

I have no need for on the fly accessory three card monte, so I am OK with MLOK.
    Although I have fairly limited experience with either platform I would say this assessment is spot-on.

I picked up a keymod rail from ALG on clearance for a pistol. I'm perfectly happy with it but all I really care about is mounting a light. BCM keymod rail covers are both much more of a pain to install and much more secure on the ALG rails than mlok.

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The only thing I'd potentially detach on the fly is a VFG. Other than that, my keymod stuff is pretty much permanently mounted.

If I were getting new gear??? I would, under no circumstances buy Mlok. However, I'd be somewhat reluctant to by Keymod too just based on concern for future accessory availability.

My last purchase was the BCM QRF. Love it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Unless you're a gear reviewer or an instructor, there's no need to regularly take your accessories on and off.

The bigger issue is that KeyMod has no future. The KeyMod accessories market is slowly drying up, and new accessories are skipping the format entirely in favor of M-LOK.

Unless the handguard you're looking at is ONLY available in KeyMod and whatever company making it is never going to make an M-LOK version, there's no good reason to purchase a KeyMod handguard.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post
    The bigger issue is that KeyMod has no future.
    Although this may be true, a handguard really isn't a massive investment in the grand scheme. In other words, if 5 years from now I want to add something to my KMR (like a Rona mask dispenser) and I can't get it in Keymod. I'd just put it on another gun, or replace the rail.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the help. I just placed the order for the rifle with the M-Lok rails. It's not an AR15. I'll post pictures when it shows up at my dealer.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I don't think either is superior to the other, however you'll be hard pressed to find quality keymod accessories in this day and age.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I don't think either is superior to the other, however you'll be hard pressed to find quality keymod accessories in this day and age.
    Umm, BCM, IWC, Arisaka, Tango Down, KAC? That's a pretty good list of companies that make KM accessories with a pedigree of quality.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I really don't care for either one.

Keymod:

The tapered web of material where the nut sits is too thin.

I do like the self centering action caused by the tapered keymod nut and corresponding web as it self centers the accessory.

MLOK:

Doesn't really have a self centering action in all 3 degrees of freedom. Some brands of mounts use countersunk tapered head screws to get constrains in all 3 degrees of freedom.

Other comments:

Neither one is stronger than mil-std-1913 rails.

What I would really want to see is the Geissele MK1 system developed more as the accessory sits on a curved surface and are constrained in all 3 DOF. The handguard walls can remain thick.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Okay, I’ll be that guy, URX3.1 FTW! It is the best looking handguard of all time.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast