Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Key Mod vs M-Lok

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HCrum87hc View Post
    I just switched all my rifles to MLOK. This isn't because of a perceived weakness of keymod, but I wanted continuity across the board, and I prefer the look of MLOK. I've also noticed more after aftermarket support for MLOK recently.
    Currently doing the same thing.
    Here comes the thunder.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Too long; don’t bother reading: it doesn’t matter which one you choose. But I prefer MLok, and the market has spoken.

I was a bit of a late adopter of either. I first bought a pistol with Keymod in like 2015 or 2014. It was a range toy 9mm that got used infrequently, instead passed over for a pic rail gun (DD RIS) when range days came. I didn’t really like it because the rail was so skinny, and I was invested in accessories and rail covers that were in pic format. So I had to use adapters, which is how you get AIDS. These aren’t really good reasons. I also hated the way the bare rail felt on my fingertips, which may or may not be a stupid reason to dislike KM.

A couple years ago, it became time to put that pic rail rifle into semi-retirement, and I went with MLok, and committed to it. It feels better on a bare rail, and I really like the Magpul panels that I first discovered as an included accessory on my first MLok rail, a URX4. MLok has been gtg in my experience, and the accessories go on and off just as quick as KM.

I think both systems have been plagued by overly thin, hot, and floppy rails. The majority of whats on the market is simply way too skinny. I like a rail that is skinnier than a RIS or RAS, but not so thin as a Wedgelock (which I will not call floppy). This is one of the things I love about the URX4. Its Goldilocks in diameter.

Ironically, I would say that there’s no reason to switch from one to the other, but I recently did. Due to ammo considerations, that 9mm pistol with the KM rail has been getting used a lot lately. I wanted to add a light and a finger nub, so instead of investing in KM stuff, I installed a Triarc MLok rail. Its a much better handguard than the one it replaced, but that has nothing to do with the format.

Where TF are you guys finding these super cheap KM URX4’s that I keep hearing about?

Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    The Crane results, as shown in their PP presentation images, were deeply flawed.

Several years ago, I dismantled their garbage protocol and setup here on M4C. It was the kind of test-rigging and failure to control for variables that would get one eliminated from a 4th grade science fair in the first round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’d like to read that. Do you have a link, or remember the thread title?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Take a look at slim Mlok panels.
    Or, just cut the slant off of one of the sides of each panel you already have?
    The panels were cheap, so I'll just try to modify what I have first. This all seems so odd. It's like CZ forgot that most people just want a handguard that they can hold on to. I'd think that a plastic handguard would be standard. If not, I'd certainly think one would be available.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    The Crane results, as shown in their PP presentation images, were deeply flawed.

Several years ago, I dismantled their garbage protocol and setup here on M4C. It was the kind of test-rigging and failure to control for variables that would get one eliminated from a 4th grade science fair in the first round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd like to read that thread.

One thing that really stood out to me in that test was that the mlok 5 slot picatinny attachment they used doesn't appear to have a recoil lug and was mounted far forward (toward muzzle) on each mlok slot. This allowed the simulated weaponlight (steel or aluminum rod or tube? They don't specify what it is or how much it weighs) to absorb impact from the drops, while only shifting backwards slightly on the rail after each drop; you can see the scrape marks across the mlok slots on the tested rails. I'm sure the results would have differed on the mlok drop test if there was a recoil lug present. All the quality mlok accessories I've seen that span 2 or more slots contain a lug that keeps the accessory from shifting under recoil, or impact. I think its part of the spec.

They also dropped one of the keymod rails a 7th time to get the keymod accessory to detach because they missed the steel plate on the 6th drop and the entire handguard detached from the rifle and had to be re-attached for the 7th ("6B") drop.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I run MLOK only these days because that is what the market chose, not because of strength. In fact I liked Keymod, but alas.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have both...but the Keymod is the BCM polymer handguards and they seem to work well for me, but I can see how fingers can get a little irritated like 1168 mentioned, so I have grip panels on mine.

MLOK does seem to be a bit more durable on the Larue Ultimate upper I have.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was an early adopter of the NSR - Keymod system. I have several keymod rifles and a lot of keymod attachments / accessories. There was a lot of hate toward Keymod because some felt the Keymod system was fugly and there were a bunch of armchair commandos that didn't know how to install their attachments properly. Not to mention at one point there were a lot of out of spec attachments floating around.

I eventually switched over to MLOK and it has worked out fine for me. I personally haven't had any issues with either system but MLOK is clearly the new industry standard so that's the way I went. I still shoot and enjoy my Keymod rifles and do not plan to swap them out for MLOK any time soon.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I was late to the game, first AR purchased right after the Orlando night club shooting. It had mlok so I missed out on keymod. Without keymod they wouldnt have figured out mlok.

Feedback Score
    (I went and found my answer to this question from a year or two ago)

Actually, if you read the results of the Crane testing, M-LOK proved to be a slightly stronger connection under certain conditions. It was noted that M-LOK is only stronger when installed correctly, and that Keymod is easier to install correctly. It's also worth noting that the design of the attachment has as much to do with the strength of the interface as the attachment standard does. Probably more. If you examine BCM's Keymod sling attachment, it's a really clean and well-executed design. Because it locks through one hole and partially into the preceding hole, it's very strong; probably as strong on the same axis as the handguard as a comparable M-LOK attachment would be.

What do we attach to handguards? White lights, vert and angled grips. Lasers and ir illuminators. Slings. A go-pro maybe? None of that stuff should just fall off, but I'm not expecting to be dangling on the edge of a volcano from my rifle handguard. I'm not even sure it wouldn't be better for the accessory to break off if it struck something that hard; how much damage is it already going to do to the handguard?
    Vert grips and angled grips depend on a strong interface, sure. But lights and lasers? Half that stuff can mount off of the picatinny rail on top, usually resulting in a tighter, lower-profile setup with the light or laser tucked closer to the handguard. Which might prevent the accessory from snagging on stuff to start with- that might be more important than how strong the interface is in determining whether the accessory stays attached or not.

I'm definitely not trying to be contrary. I try to come at these things from a mechanical standpoint. I don't think Keymod and M-LOK are all that different. I have both on different rifles; I think I actually own more M-LOK than I do Keymod.

The last two rifles I assembled for myself were midlengths with fixed front sight gasblocks. I don't have nods so I don't need space on my handguard for a laser or an ir illuminator. I don't use a tapeswitch for my light, either, and the mount for my light cantilevers it forward past the handguard next to the front sight. The Midwest Industries midlength handguard has qd sling cups at both ends of the handguard, so I'm not even using the M-LOK attachments for that.

So decide what you actually need to attach to your handguard and then decide what mounting standard makes sense for it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Keymod is obviously on its way out, but that doesn't make it useless. I have 3 keymod equipped ARs because I could buy quality rails for 1/2 (or less) what the same rail in M-Lok cost. All I really need are rail covers (BCM), a QD sling mount for one rail and light mounts.

Andy

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast