Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Enhanced BCG's

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    It’s all snake oil as far as I’m concerned. The only actual “enhancement” that has been legitimately proven to be beneficial is the KAC bolt & carrier.
    Bold statement, and honestly quite ignorant. Other than the chrome sand cutter bolt carrier from KAC their standard carrier is just that. Totally milspec.

You seem to have no knowledge of the LMT enhanced carrier (actually enhanced and definitely not snake oil) and enhanced bolt similar to KAC but uses mil spec extension. The LMT is not snake oil.

The Surefire does what it says, but honestly only really offers all its benifits to full auto fire.

If you took some time to search this site and the internet in general I’m sure you could educate yourself and not find yourself making such ignorant statements in the future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Bold statement, and honestly quite ignorant. Other than the chrome sand cutter bolt carrier from KAC their standard carrier is just that. Totally milspec.

You seem to have no knowledge of the LMT enhanced carrier (actually enhanced and definitely not snake oil) and enhanced bolt similar to KAC but uses mil spec extension. The LMT is not snake oil.

The Surefire does what it says, but honestly only really offers all its benifits to full auto fire.

If you took some time to search this site and the internet in general I’m sure you could educate yourself and not find yourself making such ignorant statements in the future.
    No I’m quite familiar with it, I just don’t care. The bolt is beefed up, but not like the KAC, and it does have an altered cam pin track and increased ventilation that may aid in suppressed or over gassed guns, but to me, personally for the cost, if I’m going for anything other than a quality mil spec BCG, I’m getting a KAC. That’s my opinion and it’s worth absolutely nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    There is a ton of brilliance into the LMT enhanced BCG that few will ever appreciate. So many things make it just outstanding, but is it needed for most folks no. It’s kinda like KAC, nobody needs a KAC SR25 mag, but they don’t suck and are over built for most saps slinging lead down range including me. You are not waisting money buying great kit, but most don’t need it. PB
    Good post. Adding... Sometimes, such enhanced products were developed to address a specific combination of conditions, components, variables for a group of users dealing with a proprietary issue. Later release and other benefits to everyone else is just incidental.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
    No I’m quite familiar with it, I just don’t care. The bolt is beefed up, but not like the KAC, and it does have an altered cam pin track and increased ventilation that may aid in suppressed or over gassed guns, but to me, personally for the cost, if I’m going for anything other than a quality mil spec BCG, I’m getting a KAC. That’s my opinion and it’s worth absolutely nothing.
    I guess I’m just not tracking why you’d come on a public forum and say it’s ‘snake oil’ then retort with its cause you just don’t care? I stand by ignorance being the right term for all of it.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I'm not sold on LMT's "enhanced" bolt either. There is another thread about their "enhanced" bolt peening. Here's mine after ~2,000rds. I've never encountered a regular milspec bolt that did this after that many rounds. The bolt was only used on a LMT 16" and 10.5" MRP barrels. YMMV
    IMG_1261.JPG
    Last edited by sig1473; 07-27-20 at 15:20.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Our philosophy is to start with a properly configured and properly gassed barrel.

Then use standard components for the rest of the system.

This should be the norm, but whatever..

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Good post. Adding... Sometimes, such enhanced products were developed to address a specific combination of conditions, components, variables for a group of users dealing with a proprietary issue. Later release and other benefits to everyone else is just incidental.
    Correct. And some things, like the bifurcated gas port into toroidal expansion chamber (formed around the bolt tail), the angle of those twin ports as they direct gas from the gas key, the geometries of the cam pin path, and the location/size/countersink beveling of the additional exhaust ports.... some of those things are the fathers of many patents, hundreds of hours of CFD and physical testing, with dozens of iterations.

Very few items on the AR platform fit all use cases. Triggers, buffer weights, barrels, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    I'm not sold on LMT's "enhanced" bolt either. There is another thread about their "enhanced" bolt peening. Here's mine after ~2,000rds. I've never encountered a regular milspec bolt that did this after that many rounds. The bolt was only used on a LMT 16" and 10.5" MRP barrels. YMMV
    IMG_1261.JPG
    Yeah you should probably read that thread in it’s entirety before referring to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    OP, are you trying to fix something that is not broken? If your mil spec part, any part, does not break, why ever fix it on any component?
    No, just curious about these new and improved BCG's. I don't have money burning a hole in my pocket but I'm willing to pay for quality if there is a real reason to buy it.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    No, just curious about these new and improved BCG's. I don't have money burning a hole in my pocket but I'm willing to pay for quality if there is a real reason to buy it.
    I think somewhat similarly to you. I sometimes have money burning a hole, but I’m not willing to pay for extra features unless there is a reason to buy it.

For BCG’s, I have only bought Forward Controls Design’s NP3 (nickel teflon) complete recently. One is in a suppressed-only upper that was built to have correct gassing from the get-go, just waiting on the suppressor to clear to put into use. The other is in my Colt CCU upper. I knew both were/would be gassed correctly, so there was no need to go with bonus features; however, a nice treatment that enhances lubriciousness can’t be a negative when combined with quality components.
    I’ve also picked up several bolts and components (gas rings, pins, firing pins, cam pin, extractor springs) when they are on good sales. If you don’t have cash burning a hole in your pocket, just get a Centurion/BCM/Sionics/FCD bolt carrier group, then an extra bolt from one of the same companies, then some extra Colt parts (they’re out there). And some lube.

If you want to save money, Toolcraft nitride or even NiB BCG’s will almost always run just fine, and they used to be on sale for as low as $70. But still get some extra parts from known, quality companies. That way, you’ve saved money and have the same extra parts that you should have even with a higher quality company. If the Toolcraft fails, unless it is a dimensional thing with the carrier itself, you can just drop in your spare parts and rock on. Still should end up saving a bit of money.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast