Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: nitride vs chrome phosphate

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

nitride vs chrome phosphate

i know, i know, i know, not this again...

i have been searching this, and the discussion usually goes, "..because milspec..." and the other part of the conversation "...nitride is cheaper, better tolerances, easier to clean...". one topic that always gets touched on is nitride is easier to clean and CP (chrome phosphate) holds oil better, but the discussion usually stops there even though the threads go on for multiple pages, but that is the major take away.

the only experience i have with nitride are my 2 aero m5s; one is a 12.5 carbine gas with sico saker, the other is an 18 rifle gas with tbac ultra9. they both cleaned up really easily with a taco bell napkin. when i took out my BCG from my ar15 with CP BCG, it didn't clean up at all. as we all know, the CP start to get sticky, grimy, but throw some oil on it real quick and its back to normal, but it's still skanky and a bitch to clean.

so is it better to be able to wipe the carbon off easier or is it better for the CP to hold oil better?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Primary and Secondary did a modcast with the guy behind Black Rifle Balm, where they talked about the virtues of using grease instead of oil.

It was full of deep technical discussion beyond my understanding, but you may want to give it a listen or watch on YouTube.

Might be worth considering a grease like that in combination with a nitride BCG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    thats what i was kinda thinking with the nitride, use a good grease.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I won't mess with non spec BCGs with the exception of one NP3. Holding some lube is priority for me. The NP3 actually does hold Froglube quite well. But if I were picking up a new BCG, Mil spec 100%, no question.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    did you have a bad experience with nitride not holding lube?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't believe there's anything wrong with nitride, but my opinion is similar to markm's. Phosphate chrome lined bcg or np3/dlc for a "slick" bcg. I read that a phosphate bcg that is dlc coated will retain the porousness of the phosphate.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Is the question regarding BCGs or barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post
    i know, i know, i know, not this again...

i have been searching this, and the discussion usually goes, "..because milspec..." and the other part of the conversation "...nitride is cheaper, better tolerances, easier to clean...". one topic that always gets touched on is nitride is easier to clean and CP (chrome phosphate) holds oil better, but the discussion usually stops there even though the threads go on for multiple pages, but that is the major take away.

the only experience i have with nitride are my 2 aero m5s; one is a 12.5 carbine gas with sico saker, the other is an 18 rifle gas with tbac ultra9. they both cleaned up really easily with a taco bell napkin. when i took out my BCG from my ar15 with CP BCG, it didn't clean up at all. as we all know, the CP start to get sticky, grimy, but throw some oil on it real quick and its back to normal, but it's still skanky and a bitch to clean.

so is it better to be able to wipe the carbon off easier or is it better for the CP to hold oil better?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Question is regarding BCG

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Short answer: Hard Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post
    Question is regarding BCG
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hard pass on the nitride?

Feel free to elaborate, we won't mind.
    Last edited by corey4; 07-22-20 at 15:01.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast