Hard pass on the nitride?
    Feel free to elaborate, we won't mind.
    I'd like to know more as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post
    Hard pass on the nitride?

Feel free to elaborate, we won't mind.
    I would like to know more as well. I had the same thought on the topic of nitride vs chrome bcgs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm kinda old school about some things. I can't really see what the advantage of nitride on a BCG is other that making it easy to clean.

I've got quite a few (12+) ARs and I use top quality mil spec BCGs (BCM, DD, Colt) in all of them with the exception of the LMT enhanced. And I swear I never have any problems that aren't Mag or Ammo related. So WHY would I want to change?

And they just aren't that hard to do a quick clean on. I used to be fanatical about cleaning, but over the years I realized that ARs almost BEG to run dirty because they are designed to crap where they eat... Trying to remove all the carbon burned oil and powder residue is good to do once in a while, but I seldom do that.

When I do a thorough cleaning I spend more time cleaning the inside of the receiver, barrel extension/lugs, and barrel than I ever do cleaning the BCG, because its just not that hard.

Most of the time I just put some CLP on the carrier and bolt, hit it with a nylon brush, wipe the CLP off with a clean rag, put a new light coat of oil on, put some action grease on the bearing surfaces and cam pin and stick it back in the gun.

Anyway, I picked up a nitride BCG a year or so ago as a spare because it was on sale and I was curious. So when I get around to trying it I guess I'll know. But I'm in no hurry.

Feedback Score
    I never had a problem with a quality Phosphate/Chrome C158 HPT/MPI BCG

The problem i see with the nitride is it is mostly lower end/cheaper bcgs using them. They do not have things like sprinco enhanced extractor springs, correct carrier key screws, are not individual HPT/MPI, etc

I would rather pay $20-30 more for know quality. Sionics milspec can be had for $120. OCKS screws, sprinco spring etc. Centurion and SOLGW (when on sale at PA) are really good options as well

The only coated BCG I would buy is NP3 from a quality manufacturer, but dont believe it is a huge improvement other than easier cleaning and maybe some add lubricity

Feedback Score
    Wait, you are talking about a carrier that in chromed internally and manganese-Phosphated on the outside right?

You are not talking about a chrome-phosphate conversion coating?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-23-20 at 14:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Wait, you are talking about a carrier that in chromed internally and manganese-Phosphated on the outside right?

Correct- sorry i could have made that more clear

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Correct- sorry i could have made that more clear
    Lol, i should have been more clear, the question was for the OP.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

correct

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    This is an excellent practical summary.

Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    I never had a problem with a quality Phosphate/Chrome C158 HPT/MPI BCG

The problem i see with the nitride is it is mostly lower end/cheaper bcgs using them. They do not have things like sprinco enhanced extractor springs, correct carrier key screws, are not individual HPT/MPI, etc

I would rather pay $20-30 more for know quality. Sionics milspec can be had for $120. OCKS screws, sprinco spring etc. Centurion and SOLGW (when on sale at PA) are really good options as well

The only coated BCG I would buy is NP3 from a quality manufacturer, but dont believe it is a huge improvement other than easier cleaning and maybe some add lubricity
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Nitride's ease of cleaning and corrosion resistance are undeniable, but the easy button is paying between $120 - $180 for a quality phosphate BCG with a C158 bolt.

Andy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast