Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: nitride vs chrome phosphate

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It's not only possible, but quite common.

Chad is exactly right with this observation.

It is a manufacturing problem because the coating thickness (or lack thereof) is not properly accounted for in the machining dimensions.

There are a lot of potential reasons for this but the end result is a part with finished dimensions that are out of spec.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    I see more dimensional/efficiency issues with Nitride and NiB than any other treatments or coating. Nitride especially.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    I do not see how that is possible with Nitride because of the treatment itself. That is a manufacturing problem, not a treatment problem.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    It's not only possible, but quite common.

Chad is exactly right with this observation.

It is a manufacturing problem because the coating thickness (or lack thereof) is not properly accounted for in the machining dimensions.

There are a lot of potential reasons for this but the end result is a part with finished dimensions that are out of spec.
    Edit: I missread, it is a manufacturing problem in regards to nitride, someone made the BCG to dimensional specs that account for a coating instead of no coating.

So again, as I stated before, one should do their due dilligence and buy from a reputable manufacturer or business with an established track record and great warranty just in case.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 07-28-20 at 00:41.

Feedback Score
    L. F. Moore was testing the original M16 at Aberdeen Proving Ground and he told me that Colt had hired a PHD engineer whose specialty was chroming and he told Moore "the best way to ruin a barrel is to chrome it" and went on to explain that chroming a barrel tends to deposit more chrome here and there causing thick spots which damage the bullets going down bore.

Moore had a very good target rifle and he let him take it back and chrome it. When he got it back he said it never shot well again.

The ARMY MTU wanted to build sniper rifles on M14 actions for Nam and one of the guys that built them told me they air gauged over 10,000 barrels to get about 125 that air gauged to National Match Specs.

Nitride is the best thing that has happened to barrels in years for wear resistance.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    L. F. Moore was testing the original M16 at Aberdeen Proving Ground and he told me that Colt had hired a PHD engineer whose specialty was chroming and he told Moore "the best way to ruin a barrel is to chrome it" and went on to explain that chroming a barrel tends to deposit more chrome here and there causing thick spots which damage the bullets going down bore.

Moore had a very good target rifle and he let him take it back and chrome it. When he got it back he said it never shot well again.

The ARMY MTU wanted to build sniper rifles on M14 actions for Nam and one of the guys that built them told me they air gauged over 10,000 barrels to get about 125 that air gauged to National Match Specs.

Nitride is the best thing that has happened to barrels in years for wear resistance.
    Barrels are one thing, BCGs are another, note posts 7 & 8.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345