Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with Arisaka lights?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

Any experience with Arisaka lights?

Ive got a Mk18 with 1-6 Razor on top that acts as my GP carbine. For fear of reliability issues, I sold the HLX I had on it (after seeing some issues with another first hand). I'm looking for a lightweight light with alot of throw, that costs less than a modlite or OWL (I have an OWL and will have a Modlite before the end of the year). While I don't hunt, this Mk18 does get used at night, thus the need for the throw over spill. Whatever I light I get will be mounted at the 11 o'clock in an HSP Thorntail 2 with a Cloud LCS.

I recently stumbled on the Arisaka 600 series lights, specifically the E2HT and the E2XT, although I think my main focus is on the E2HT as it has a slimmer profile. I've spent my entire adult life/military/LE buying SF lights based on Lumen alone, and have only this month discovered candela and lights with a lot of throw. As such, I am impressed with the E2HT's candela (35k) but wholly unimpressed with the lumens (500). The E2XT sports 55k candela but again only 500 lumens.

I can find very little on these lights beyond superficial youtube reviews or wildly technical candlepower forum discussions. Do you any of you have direct experience with either light? How do you find they stack up to the Modlite or OWL, or even the Surefire 600DF? How are the Arisaka lights reliability wise, any issues with recoil or anything else?

Can the rechargeable 16650 cells be charged using my Nitecore charger that came with my OWL?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I own both the E2HT and E2XT (and other Malkoff E-series weaponlight heads), but have never experienced the Modlight or Cloud Defense lights.

High lumen count isn't necessary when the light is focused mostly into the spot of the beam.

The head is a fully potted Malkoff, so you don't need to worry about it breaking. 16650 cells work very well in these heads....even better than primaries. The increased diameter of the XT's head isn't noticeable in the hand or on the AR.
    Last edited by grizzman; 07-22-20 at 21:19.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I own both the E2HT and E2XT (and other Malkoff E-series weaponlight heads), but have never experienced the Modlight or Cloud Defense lights.

High lumen count isn't necessary when the light is focused mostly into the spot of the beam.

The head is a fully potted Malkoff, so you don't need to worry about it breaking. 16650 cells work very well in these heads....even better than primaries. The increased diameter of the XT's head isn't noticeable in the hand or on the AR.
    Does the E2XT outperform the E2HT to justify the additional cost increase? What are you using to charge the batteries?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The throw increase of the XT is very noticeable, and well worth the extra cost. I haven't taken 100 yard measurements of them yet, but that's planned. I was afraid the XT would be totally devoid of spill, but that's not the case.

I'm one of those Junkies active on candlepower forums.

I use a couple different XTAR chargers, as well as old Pilas I've had for years. Nitecore chargers are highly regarded, so it should work well.
    Last edited by grizzman; 07-22-20 at 22:30.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have the E2HT, along with Modlights and an OWL, and other stuff. The Arisaka/E2HT will absolutely do what you are asking. And the battery that comes with it will charge in the charger that comes with the OWL, no problem. I have not yet used a E2XT, and I feel like thats reaching the point where a Modlight would make more sense.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Thanks guys, very informative. I am shocked there isn't more info in these lights. I ordered the E2HT simply due to cost. When it arrives, I'll do a side by side with the OWL in a separate post, maybe throw in my buddy's 600DF for good measure.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have been using the Arisaka lights for a few years now. I have the 300 series with E1HT heads on mine. Despite only being like 325 lumens, the 23,000 candela really throw the beam out there. It's not comparable to Modlite or the OWL, but it kicks the shit out of the Surefire 300 series that they replaced.

The one on my home defense gun is setup with the Surefire tailcap and pressure pad, the one on my AR pistol that I travel with is mounted on a ModButton, which is an awesome little package that weighs next to nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    AD lights are excellent. Super bright. Excellent throw. I have around 8 in AD mounts. I personally feel AD lights and mounts are best in class. Buy with confidence.

I would personally adios the IWC mount in favor of an AD 1913 rail mount.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 07-26-20 at 13:49.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    AD lights are excellent. Super bright. Excellent throw. I have around 8 in AD mounts. I personally feel AD lights and mounts are best in class. Buy with confidence.

I would personally adios the IWC mount in favor of an AD 1913 rail mount.
    Why AD over IWC?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Why AD over IWC?
    I have both ADM and IWC SBR Thorntail mounts. I cannot say one is definitively better than the other. The thorntails offer offset AND extra reach(?) That helps get the light further forward around stuff on your rail (or further back if you need to go that route). Otherwise, the ADM has less screw together pieces and a machined recoil lug instead of straight screws, if that's a concern.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast