Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14.5 pistol, bad idea?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

14.5 pistol, bad idea?

I purchased a OSS Elite over the barrel (3 1/2") Silencer and wanted to put together something that would work well with it. I knew I was going with BCM. I also knew with a 11.5 and a2 it wouldn't fit. The 12.5 might fit closely, but might not tighten all the way because of the A2 front sight. the railed versions extended to 10", making mounting impossible. I decided to go with a 14.5 middy with a 10" rail. Mounted, it leaves about an inch between the rail and the OSS, and is still shorter than a standard carbine with muzzle device. 31" and my 16" with FH is 33.5. I did not permanently attach a muzzle device because I wanted to be able to use my OSS and remove it.

The more I am practicing, the more I am loving the 14.5 pistol with the SB A3 brace. I wonder why they aren't more popular. Why are so many people still welding their muzzle devices and going "rifle". Are people nervous the ATF is going to change its ruling and make pistol braces illegal? Could they even pull it off? I mean, so many have done it, it is probably in common use, hundreds of thousands being sold.

Is there something I am missing?
    “Do you know what happens when you slice a golf ball in half? Someone gets mad at you. I found this out the hard way.”

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    While the newer braces are good, for typical 'rifle' type use, a real stock is far better.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Help me understand.

I get about the same stability against the outer pec, maybe a little better because of the slight flex of the soft rubber, Adjustable LOP, Large cheek weld, a5RE compatible, qd mounts. Using both in classes, I cant tell a difference. (they were short range classes out to 200 yds)

Although when I had a Shockwave brace, it was night and day. I can't tell the difference with the SBA3 and SBA4.
    “Do you know what happens when you slice a golf ball in half? Someone gets mad at you. I found this out the hard way.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’m getting ready to build a 13.7 with a surefire muzzle device. I’m gonna run it with an sba3 until i’m sure i like it, then i’m gonna pin and weld to move to a real stock. The sba3 is fine for the range and i’ve run drills with them, but I can definitely see one or all of them breaking or tearing from use. They’re kind of flimsy compared to a stock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Because if you are running a pistol brace, do you want something pretty close to what a 16” rifle is or something with a noticeable length reduction? I know people that make a huge deal about shotgun barrel lengths... but I can’t tell the difference between a 26” and 28” barrel on my 11-87. I can put my 11.5” AR pistol next to my 16” D/I .45 rifle... and it is night/day. Partly the reason why I’m SBRing that rifle.

I’m sure people have SBRed a 14.5” AR, but I really don’t think it is the norm. Only benefit I could see of an AR pistol with 14.5” barrel is that it is long enough that you can run a vertical grip (judging you didn’t do a folding brace).

Feedback Score
    It does sound crazy, but I get it. I run several SBA3 & Tailhook II braces, they work as well as an M4 stock.

I have a 9mm AR pistol with a 4” barrel on a Tailhook II and last year I got a 9mm 16” complete Ghost upper, planned to build another lower but my pistol is running a Hahn conversion block/Metalform mags and they’re not cheap. So I just slapped the 16” upper on the pistol lower and it shoots fine.

And if you decide to ditch the brace down the road, you can just pin a flash hider on that 14.5” barrel. My favorite 5,56 upper is my BCM 14.5” pinned lightweight middy.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ok I'll bite. Having run most of the popular braces out there, SBA3/SBA4, Tailhook Mod 1 and 2, KAK blade, OG Sig brace, they're If I'm gonna run a brace, it's going to be on a 10.5/11.5" gun with a red dot. If I'm gonna run a 14.5-16" barrel, it's getting a stock.

Feedback Score
    SBA3 is nice, I use it with 10.5" and 11.5" pistols. Have a couple 14.5" pinned/welded uppers, use them with stocks.

In my opinion, while the SBA3 is a really nice step up from a bare extension tube, it is still a compromise compared to a stock.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Feedback Score
    In some localities, there may be legal reasons to opt a 14.5" pistol over a carbine.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I could see running the 14.5" on a pistol lower to determine the final configuration prior to P/W, but see no legal or practical advantage in doing it permanently.

Here in Al, 12" is the max barrel length for a pistol covered by CCW and my CCW is the reason for owning an AR pistol. It's not legal to run around with a 12"+ AR in a soft case with loaded mags under the back seat of my truck, but my 11.3" AR is good to go.

I have one 14.5" P/W M4 "clone", the difference between it and a 16" gun is not worth the hassle to me for any other reason. My opinion only, of course.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast