Thread: New AR9 build

Feedback Score

New AR9 build

Hello all, longtime lurker, and lover of the pew. I have built 2 AR15s and now want to build an AR9.

My parts so far:
    McPherson billet dedicated AR9 lower (small outfit in NH)
    Fire control group milspec (leftover from prior build)
    7 inch Odin Works heavy barrel
    VG6 Epsilon flash hider
    KAW Valley Precision buffer kit with SS spring and 7.5 oz buffer

Have not picked an upper or BCG/CH as all I want are sold out, open to suggestions!
    Thinking about Faxon nib BCG (14 oz)
    FM upper
    Radian Raptor CH.

And so now my question. I am trying to use takedown pins from another build, and noticed there are no holes for a retention spring and detent. So do I need specific Takedown pins?

Feedback Score
    Soooooo, on closer inspection my old tired eyes missed the detent spring holes.

Still open for suggestions, etc thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Medic View Post
    Soooooo, on closer inspection my old tired eyes missed the detent spring holes.

Still open for suggestions, etc thanks in advance!
    I like the nrb upper from WPA. Thinking of getting one myself.
    https://www.wolfpackarmoryusa.com/

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’m running the Faxon BCG using Endomag inserts. Also an 8.3 oz extended buffer with a sprinco carbine spring and ballistic advantage 5.5” barrel. The Faxon BCG is top notch.

For an upper check Aero Precision’s site for a blem upper. I ordered one last night for $59 plus shipping. Also check MasDefense.com for an upper. Blem or otherwise. I’ve used a bunch of stuff from them and all of the holes are in the right places and they’re made of 7075.

I’ve been surprise recently by the number of receivers I’ve seen on the market that are made of 6061.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    I’m running the Faxon BCG using Endomag inserts. Also an 8.3 oz extended buffer with a sprinco carbine spring and ballistic advantage 5.5” barrel. The Faxon BCG is top notch.

For an upper check Aero Precision’s site for a blem upper. I ordered one last night for $59 plus shipping. Also check MasDefense.com for an upper. Blem or otherwise. I’ve used a bunch of stuff from them and all of the holes are in the right places and they’re made of 7075.

I’ve been surprise recently by the number of receivers I’ve seen on the market that are made of 6061.
    I too have seen some 6061 receivers. 6061 is great in the right place but 7075 is SO much stronger. I don't like poly receivers either on AR's because where the buffer tube screws into the receiver is weak with polymer IMO.

OP, MAS has blem stripped uppers on sale now for $42. Beware that the MAS charging handles are 6061. I highly recommend a 7075 part here too.
    Last edited by machman72; 08-18-20 at 05:15.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for all the tips and info. I grabbed an Odin works upper, rationalizing fitment with OW barrel might be beneficial.

Still chasing the elusive "in stock" bcg and CH.

Ran into my first issue, the inch rail I picked from Timber Creek outdoors and the 7.5 OW barrel with the Vg6 Epsilon do not adequately clear the rail. So plan b is to use a forward blast diffuser of 4.26 inches to clear the rail. Looking at the KAW Valley linear comp.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I use this Spinta BCG and they show in stock ATM https://www.spintaprecision.com/9mm-...xtractor-sale/

Andy