Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filling in spare parts. Stainless pins for gas tube retaining pin?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Any thoughts on coiled spring pins? I think Geissele? uses a coiled spring pin for the ejector retention pin.
    Geissele also provides a coiled spring pin for the bombproof installation of their gas blocks.

This is from the company that invented the coiled spring pin in the 40's (link to PDF):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...5eX-UR26-dwWd_

This is another, simpler explanation:

Slotted pins have the sheet material coiled by less than one revolution, leaving a slot along the length into which the pin can compress. They are generally used for light-duty applications or where a slightly more accurate and rigid location is required.

Coiled or spiral roll pins coil the sheet material by more than one complete revolution, typically about two full revolutions, so that the sheet coils toward the center. This enables them to be made from thinner, more flexible material while achieving a greater overall strength. This means that they are able to withstand a greater shear force than a slotted pin while also being more flexible. The increased flexibility helps reduce stress concentrations and the cyclic loading that can lead to fatigue, particularly around the edges of a hole. Coiled pins are, therefore, well-suited to heavy-duty applications. For example, they are used to pin joints on earth-moving equipment.

https://www.engineering.com/Advanced...-Assembly.aspx

According to my list, the ejector pin is 1/16x7/16, McMaster Carr doesn't carry coiled spring pins that size. Wonder where Geissele sources theirs?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Bolt catch pin from the TM is MS 16562-119 and seems to be a 3/32" by 1/2" long pin. I think the shorter 7/16" long number may have came off an old internet list that went around.
    Ejector retaining pin is MS 16562-98 and seems to be a 1/16" by 3/8" long pin. Some use the 7/16". It fits but has to be centered to keep it from hanging out.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Gunz was fanatical about not re-using roll pins. I, on the other hand, will use one until I lose it.
    I f*cking miss Will.

Yeah, he was fanatical about that.

He was the one who turned me onto McMaster-Carr. Their parts have, literally, never failed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    I used to do the same thing, I've since decided to repent my evil ways.

When I'm done; I'll have multiple spares for every pin, spring, nut, bolt, receiver, buffer, gas tube, detent, extractor, ejector, hammer/trigger spring, receiver extension, gas block, etc. etc. so my rifles (and friendlies rifles) can be maintained no matter what happens. LOL

Today, I got an email from Geissele and they are selling complete Mil Spec bolts. I had a 35% off coupon and bought two to add to my collection of bolts and complete BCGs, along with SSA and SSA-E spring kits, trigger pins, an MRO mount, and some other stuff. I wanted to buy another rail, but their website is rather barren right now/

I just really don't like the way things are going in America and I consider this another step to self reliance and preparedness.
    I bought some spare Sionics bolts on Father’s Day and just got around to sticking them in the spare parts drawer, where I found a few more BCM bolts from before the last election. It NEVER hurts to be prepared and Geissele spring kits are something I have thought about, but not purchased.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12