Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LPVO height, lower 1/3 (1.7") vs. 1.93"

Feedback Score

LPVO height, lower 1/3 (1.7") vs. 1.93"

I tried the standard 1.54" scope mount, but I returned it since I had to scrunch my neck way too much. I've been looking at taller mounts and the Badger 1.7" mount looked very enticing, but I'm not sure if that will be tall enough compared to a 1.93" especially if I wear a gas mask or during quick 3-gun shooting. On the other hand, I've read reports of 1.93" being uncomfortably tall for some, especially when shooting prone, but also not getting a good cheek weld in general. Unfortunately these mounts are quite expensive, so trying them out is pretty difficult. I'm not a very big person, at 5' 9" with average neck height, so I'm wondering what people's experiences with taller mounts are.

Feedback Score
    That's a tough question to answer since everyone is different. You could experiment with a rail riser and see if what height you like before buying an expensive mount.

Something like this might help your decision. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2130306216

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I agree this is tough to answer for anyone else.

In light of the gas mask requirement, I would think you'll be happier with the 1.93" option. That information comes from my SWAG manual.

Feedback Score
    I forgot to address the gas mask.

I feel like if you found a mount that works with the mak, it might not be comfortable shooting without the mask.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I don’t mean to be too incredibly snarky, but who buys a LPVO weapon mount specifically to allow for usage while wearing a gas mask?
    I get the end of days approach, but... with a LPVO?

That said, I’m intrigued by the 1.7” height. I love the lower 1/3 with RDS, so I’d like to get one of these to see how it works for me.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    One of the considerations I made was what position the majority of my shooting is in. Since the majority is standing or kneeling and not in the prone, I made the switch to the 1.93" mount. I can still shoot in the prone, and to be honest I don't find it all that more difficult. I wouldn't want to do it all day, but it is still a very usable shooting position.
    For what it's worth, I'm only 5'7 but I still maintain a pretty good cheek weld.

There are a couple of threads about this topic that have some great information from more well versed in the high mount heights than myself. I've used 1.54", lower 1/3rd and now the 1.93" but so far, I've had no negative impacts shooting yet with one.

Here's one of the links:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Mount-Options
    Last edited by ap1220; 07-24-20 at 10:54.
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Feedback Score
    i'm 6'5" and only had my 1.93" mount with NF1-8 for a month or so, but so far, i'm in love. much more comfortable. no problems in prone.

i can't speak to BUIS, but my peq15 was visible at 1x and annoying me enough that i moved it to the side.

Feedback Score
    1.7" height is basically the same height as Eotech EXPS height which is 1.75", I think. I think it also depends on the stock used. Maybe a SOPMOD style stock works well with a 1.93", but a skinnier stock like a Magpul SL or regular BCM Gunfighter would make it easier for the cheek to ride a bit lower. I might end up getting a spacer to try out a high mount, because I don't see many 1.93" mounts at the range for me to try out and these mounts are expensive.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    1.93. Its not like you can cowitness, and 1.93 is a meaningful change if 1.54 isn’t working for you.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I don’t mean to be too incredibly snarky, but who buys a LPVO weapon mount specifically to allow for usage while wearing a gas mask?
    I get the end of days approach, but... with a LPVO?

That said, I’m intrigued by the 1.7” height. I love the lower 1/3 with RDS, so I’d like to get one of these to see how it works for me.
    The Instagram commandos who are making a living on getting people to buy them with cool marketing.

I personally don’t understand the tall LPVO mounts. Lower 1/3 makes sense with a red dot where you have unlimited eye relieve and FOV but on an LPVO I don’t see how you’ll get a great sight picture with a chin weld. Could just be me but I know most 3 gun guys get their scopes as low as possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast