Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded P320 pistols are still going boom.

Feedback Score
    Folks, I'll be following this possible P320 safety issue. Even though I don't own one, I want to be familiar with any potential problems should I ever be around one (occasionally I am). I've friends with these pistols and my state highway patrol has been issued them (NV Highway Patrol).

Reading on another forum, there's one LE armorer who has some very good knowledge & suspicions as to what could be going wrong. Apparently, he's awaiting to hear more from SIG for more info. So far, he's i.d.'d a few probable suspect parts and related quality control issues in assembly:

-firing pin/striker safety spring; apparently this spring is now no longer used, but if still present, could disable the safety by keeping the safety stuck out of the firing pin's way;
    -old model sear; the old sear design makes it easier to assemble the sear with its 2 springs "cockeyed" which could allow the sear to possibly release the striker even with mere jarring or rough handling of the pistol.

I'm not a P320 owner, but thought about buying one, at least for a moment. I've got three SIGs; a P225, P229R, & P226R, all in 9mm. Other than my personal safety, when in the presence of a P320, my interest is, at the least, academic.

Edited to add: If I did own a P320, I'd learn how to detail strip the P320; I'd ascertain whether there was that striker-safety spring present; verify indeed whether that spring is really no longer being used and remove it if so; I'd ascertain if I had the latest/current sear; and ensure the 2 sear spring were installed correctly. Even so, until I heard more about the alleged issue, I'd not yet be confident with carrying one. Alternatively, if a P320 was issued, I'd want some of these same assurances from my dept. armorer as I'd likely not be able to detail strip the handgun myself due to dept. policy.
    Last edited by L-2; 07-29-20 at 16:48.

Feedback Score
    Geez, you'd think this was an M9 or something

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Compared to LE, the military VERY rarely has a round chambered in a pistol. 99% of the time, it is when the troop is on the firing line and he tracks the slide prior to firing his qual, etc. In CONUS, there is virtually no other time the M17/M18 is going to be hot than immediately before being fired
    Overseas in combat zones, the chamber still spends most of it's time empty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    As Taekwondopreacher stated, mil rarely carries a pistol with a round chambered. As far as Glocks go, yes they are partially cocked, compared to the 320, but the Glocks firing pin does contain enough energy to set off some primers from it's partial position. TXPO
    Saying "military" is a very generic descriptor. As a percentage of total force the number is low, but there are many more personnel carrying chambered rounds than most realize. Enough that using this as a mitigating argument in favor of the 320 isn't valid, for either side.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Saying "military" is a very generic descriptor. As a percentage of total force the number is low, but there are many more personnel carrying chambered rounds than most realize. Enough that using this as a mitigating argument in favor of the 320 isn't valid, for either side.
    I understand this as a guy who sees significantly more pistol shooting than the average troop. Not SOCOM levels, but well above average for DOD. I'm not justifying faulty equipment. Just saying that it's easy for problems to escape attention given the general standard of pistol use for conventional forces, and the level of understanding the same general forces have of pistols. I was hoping they'd choose something with less growing pains. To be fair, I wasn't happy with the M9 when I started using it, but adapted pretty well and got ahead of the curve with it. I'd like to be ahead of the curve when it comes to learning of the M17's problems, real or imagined.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    All valid points but keep in mind that most of the shooters in USASOC if not SOCOM don't really use the 320, they still have Glocks.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I never understood why so many people wanted to adopt the 320. At the tone it had not even been fielded anywhere. Yup let's send troops and cops into battle with in unproven gun.

Had glock been picked I wander what problems would have arose. Im guessing they'd have had quality issues, but I wonder what else. I'm a glock guy and looking back I thought why not go with a proven brand and gun already tested. But now I'm thinking no matter who was picked there would have been problems.

Either way they could have picked so many other brands that would have out performed the sig lol.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    All valid points but keep in mind that most of the shooters in USASOC if not SOCOM don't really use the 320, they still have Glocks.
    Yes, I would think that the number of M17 s that have a round in the chamber, right this moment, is a small number, and pales in comparison to the number of 320 s in cop holsters.

There are probably more G19 s and G22 s with a round in the pipe right now in DoD.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Who knew in 2020 320s would still be trash of all things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You had your warning--next?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I have a P320c made in April of 2020. This winter when i am not in the field as much. I going to try to make that thing go off in the holster (obviously without a live round in the pipe)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast