Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauges

Feedback Score

Gauges

Recently found a Youtube channel called School of the American Rifle. He's got some pretty specific gauges for measuring everything on the gun.
    One ideo was on a BCG. He had gauges for bolt tail NO GO and Field. Cam pin hole on the bolt. Bolt face etc, pretty cool stuff.

I've asked around and have reached out to get a better idea of what some of these gauges are. Understandably he needs to protect his intellectual property, which I completely get.
    Going through TM 9-1005-319-23&P, I can get NSNs all day long but no real places to actually buy a few of these tools.

The ones I'm interested in right now would be
    5220-01-043-9473 Gage, Plug, Taper Cylindrical

5220-01-075-5004 Gage, Plug, Plain Cylindrical

He used one similar to 5220-01-043-9473 Gage, Plug, Taper Cylindrical to find an egged out cam pin hole in a bolt. Just think it would be nice to have something like that on hand
    to check things after a high round count, multi day class or possibly buying a used gun ? I do see Vermont Gauge offers the handles like in his videos, just not sure where to get
    the actual gauge that would go in that handle. Haven't been in machine shop class since 1989 and am trying to piece together a better understanding. I've got no time to start
    my own business, just want a few specific tools for piece of mind. Any ideas on where to source some of these tools or ones similar ?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The channel owner is a member here. As soon as he posts, the mouth breathers will start in with the "well actuallys". The last time, he remembered more pressing business elsewhere, our loss.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The channel owner is a member here. As soon as he posts, the mouth breathers will start in with the "well actuallys". The last time, he remembered more pressing business elsewhere, our loss.

Andy
    Yeah just read through that mess. Not sure what that was about... I told him wouldn't bug him any more about it so am asking in other places along with just doing simple research with NSNs and cross referencing tools.
    Something might be doable but would probably have to be a custom job.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I saw some of the gauges on the SOCOM barrel video. Pretty impressive tools, but honestly.. just my opinion... in 28 years on the AR platform, I've never found it necessary to use any of my gauges unless I'm checking out some garbage gun... maybe an occasional firing pin protrusion check if I'm getting pierced primers.

No offense if you want to get them, but it strikes me that they're more ideal for a manufacturer to have than even us high AR use shooters.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I saw some of the gauges on the SOCOM barrel video. Pretty impressive tools, but honestly.. just my opinion... in 28 years on the AR platform, I've never found it necessary to use any of my gauges unless I'm checking out some garbage gun... maybe an occasional firing pin protrusion check if I'm getting pierced primers.

No offense if you want to get them, but it strikes me that they're more ideal for a manufacturer to have than even us high AR use shooters.
    Yup.

I do like the guys videos but he wastes a lot of time checking stuff that should never need to be checked if the parts were not bottom of the barrel junk to begin with.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Yup.

I do like the guys videos but he wastes a lot of time checking stuff that should never need to be checked if the parts were not bottom of the barrel junk to begin with.
    Those gauges would be ideal for QC on parts ordered/purchased for assembly... like where you might have to reject a batch, etc. Cool stuff for sure, but really, IMO a waste of time for 99% of us end users.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Those gauges would be ideal for QC on parts ordered/purchased for assembly... like where you might have to reject a batch, etc. Cool stuff for sure, but really, IMO a waste of time for 99% of us end users.
    It would fit my OCD profile, so I'm just looking into them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    I like his videos too, and I understand what you're saying. But the thing is, there really is no other way to definitively say something is good or bad, other than by measuring it. Also, one thing I like about his analyses is that nothing is sacred. He will scrutinize and criticize even the most well regarded brands. That's the way it should be.

He obviously sees a very wide range of parts quality in what he examines, so of course he sees a lot of junk. I assume that wide range of experience and perspective is also why people go to him.

Compare what he sees to what a military or law enforcement armorer or gunsmith sees. They see a very narrow slice of what is out there. I'm sure most are good at what they do. But it's a very limited perspective in my opinion.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    Okay, school me on understanding the pin gauges thing from McMaster.

Found similar items with a handle but it's saying the No Go side is minus ?
    Do they mean minus material hence larger diameter ?

Then there's the figuring out the NOT GO modified gauge used to find egged out holes... That's the custom part. I did see a post from him on Instagram offering to sell the tools but that was over a year ago
    and do not see that option on his site. I'd rather go that route honestly but can't keep pestering the man. Just tend to dive deep into anything I get interested in and would find some of these valuable
    for buying used guns or checking defensive weapons after heavy use.

https://www.mcmaster.com/pin-gauges/...s-with-handle/

PinGauge.png

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedfs View Post
    Recently found a Youtube channel called School of the American Rifle. He's got some pretty specific gauges for measuring everything on the gun.
    One ideo was on a BCG. He had gauges for bolt tail NO GO and Field. Cam pin hole on the bolt. Bolt face etc, pretty cool stuff.

I've asked around and have reached out to get a better idea of what some of these gauges are. Understandably he needs to protect his intellectual property, which I completely get.
    Going through TM 9-1005-319-23&P, I can get NSNs all day long but no real places to actually buy a few of these tools.

The ones I'm interested in right now would be
    5220-01-043-9473 Gage, Plug, Taper Cylindrical

5220-01-075-5004 Gage, Plug, Plain Cylindrical

He used one similar to 5220-01-043-9473 Gage, Plug, Taper Cylindrical to find an egged out cam pin hole in a bolt. Just think it would be nice to have something like that on hand
    to check things after a high round count, multi day class or possibly buying a used gun ? I do see Vermont Gauge offers the handles like in his videos, just not sure where to get
    the actual gauge that would go in that handle.
    You can use these guys, or someone else, to request a quote:

http://www.positexinc.com/inspection...-5220/page/195
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast