Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gauges

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    You can use these guys, or someone else, to request a quote:

http://www.positexinc.com/inspection...-5220/page/195
    I actually did request a quote from a company today lol. Thank you for the link.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    I like his videos too, and I understand what you're saying. But the thing is, there really is no other way to definitively say something is good or bad, other than by measuring it.
    Shooting the firearm will tell you if something is not right.

Considering tolerances of parts - Do these particular parts work properly together?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedfs View Post
    Okay, school me on understanding the pin gauges thing from McMaster.

Found similar items with a handle but it's saying the No Go side is minus ?
    Do they mean minus material hence larger diameter ?

Then there's the figuring out the NOT GO modified gauge used to find egged out holes... That's the custom part. I did see a post from him on Instagram offering to sell the tools but that was over a year ago

https://www.mcmaster.com/pin-gauges/...s-with-handle/

Attachment 63220
    From what you wrote, I'm not sure if you are asking how to use the catalog to order.

Class X gives you the +/- needed.

Determine your size. As an example, lets say the trigger/hammer pin hole size is .154” and the tolerances are +/- 0.001”. That gives you .153 as go and .156 as no-go (.156 because .155 would be go)

On the link you provided in the 'Class X' group click on the third line down 0.0751" to 0.1800" that will bring you to the order page. Use the boxes in the 'product detail' block to select the sizes, select quantity and add to cart - you just spent $41.42.

The hardest thing will be actually coming up with good go/no-go numbers.

The go no go I used is from this thread: Trigger/hammer holes are .154” the tolerances are +/- 0.001”.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...r-by-Scottryan

In this thread Iraqgunz (RIP) said: MILSPEC Colt holes are .155, not .156 and not .154. The reject for them is .163.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...questions-pics

So getting good data is important.

JMO

ETA: No handles, but these have worked for me:

https://www.amazon.com/HFS-0-061-0-2...rd_i=401593011

Here's a handle:

https://www.amazon.com/Accusize-0-25...7&sr=1-13&th=1
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-24-20 at 21:36.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    In reference to gauges only being useful due to crap parts...
    I find the SOTAR videos useful, because they do not only show only cheap manufacturers being afield of proper specs.

Feedback Score
    Tedfs,

My apologies if you have tried to contact me and haven't received a response. I get overwhelmed with messages and emails and it takes me a while to get around to responding.

I usually avoid commenting on Youtube because people don't read the replies. If that's where you tried to reach me, I do apologise.

As far as Gauges go, many of the ones I use are just Pin Gauges mounted to a handle. The TDP can give you a great deal of information to determine what pin gauges to use.

I do make my own taper pin/plug gauges. Some are copies of the military examples. The Military Gauges can be unobtainable/hard to find.

The non Military Gauges are ones I have fabricated from problem parts and extensive troubleshooting.

Many people will claim gauging is pointless if you buy quality parts. I have seen otherwise. Approximately 11k AR's have crossed my bench so people can take it or leave it.

People assume my gauging has no basis in actual repairs and troubleshooting, but they are mistaken. Everything I check has a purpose or I wouldnt be checking.

I no longer make gauges for the public because they are extremely time consuming to make, and in all honesty I lose money making them. I do make them for students on a limited basis, but it's very limited.

Thank you for following my work. I'll do my best to respond here. I respect M4C and it's mission.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the kind words gentleman. I did have some probems with a few people here, but I won't let them run me off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Tedfs,

My apologies if you have tried to contact me and haven't received a response. I get overwhelmed with messages and emails and it takes me a while to get around to responding.

I usually avoid commenting on Youtube because people don't read the replies. If that's where you tried to reach me, I do apologise.

As far as Gauges go, many of the ones I use are just Pin Gauges mounted to a handle. The TDP can give you a great deal of information to determine what pin gauges to use.

I do make my own taper pin/plug gauges. Some are copies of the military examples. The Military Gauges can be unobtainable/hard to find.

The non Military Gauges are ones I have fabricated from problem parts and extensive troubleshooting.

Many people will claim gauging is pointless if you buy quality parts. I have seen otherwise. Approximately 11k AR's have crossed my bench so people can take it or leave it.

People assume my gauging has no basis in actual repairs and troubleshooting, but they are mistaken. Everything I check has a purpose or I wouldnt be checking.

I no longer make gauges for the public because they are extremely time consuming to make, and in all honesty I lose money making them. I do make them for students on a limited basis, but it's very limited.

Thank you for following my work. I'll do my best to respond here. I respect M4C and it's mission.
    I did contact you via email with talk of an NDA but promised not to bother you anymore if it was a problem on your end. You replied with the time you had, which I appreciate.
    275 hours at work in the last three weeks, being busy is understandable. Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just want to invest in some quality tools that will tell me if my kit is in order.
    Going Alice, rabbit hole deep is just something that I do with things that spark a passion.

I'd be more than willing to buy the specs from you, just promised in my last email to not bother you anymore about it if there was an issue.
    Hence my post here to not take up your time via email.

More just thinking out loud to try and understand what's going on. The NOT GO modified gauges are of particular interest to me, the normal round gauges are a dime a dozen
    on any decent site. I can PM here or email but would rather not break my promise.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Trying not to bother you with the journey. Taking a class from you would be ideal but getting the time off to actually travel out of state, during the current issues at hand,
    is out of the question.

Tedfs3...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

In this thread Iraqgunz (RIP) said: MILSPEC Colt holes are .155, not .156 and not .154. The reject for them is .163.
    Wait, what ? I haven't been here in a very long time. That RIP part just ruined my week. Had no idea.

end transmission...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Shooting the firearm will tell you if something is not right.
    Actually, it won't. You can have a gun with out of spec parts that functions fine. Let's say it's a competition gun that has been modified considerably, and functions fine. Then, put a new part in, and it stops working. Is the new part out of spec or is it something else, or a combination of multiple out of spec parts. You wouldn't know without comparing various parts to some specification.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    Well one quote came back for one of the special NOT GO gauges, a few bucks shy of $900. So that's a No Go, pun intended.

Are there specs for the NOT Go gauges somewhere or is that proprietary ? Could possibly have some regular pin gauges modified if the specs are out there. I don't think Chad does that anymore due to workload.
    I did save a boatload of measurement pics from wbparts:

https://www.wbparts.com/rfq/5220-01-043-9473.html

Still have to figure out the bolt NOT GO, haven't seen one of those so they might be a custom.

Thank you everyone for the help and links. Just trying to keep my brain working by learning something new besides work
    Last edited by Tedfs; 07-28-20 at 20:45.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast