Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gauges

Feedback Score
    PleasE start with the headspace gauges with milled bases! Very useful
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    PleasE start with the headspace gauges with milled bases! Very useful
    This would be great. I finished a build last night, disassembled the bolt, checked headspace, and reassembled... It would probably be worth the price of admission to not have to disassemble the bolt.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    This would be great. I finished a build last night, disassembled the bolt, checked headspace, and reassembled... It would probably be worth the price of admission to not have to disassemble the bolt.
    Yeah, I’ve been lookin for something like this for a while.

Feedback Score
    So I'm trying to understand the Bolt Tail No Go. Seems to me after some reading and watching it would be an undersized gauge ? No clue what the Field gauge would be.
    Last edited by Tedfs; 08-16-20 at 00:00.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Great to read that last part!

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    You can build several Gauges by using the proper go and no go dimensions. The handle just makes them more "handy".

Unfortunately some of the no go dimensions are not looking for round holes and require the pins to be modified so they can detect an out of round hole. That's the pain in the rear part of the gauges I make.

I am working with a very large company to bring all my gauges to the commercial market, but I have no ETA.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Tedfs,

My apologies if you have tried to contact me and haven't received a response. I get overwhelmed with messages and emails and it takes me a while to get around to responding.

I usually avoid commenting on Youtube because people don't read the replies. If that's where you tried to reach me, I do apologise.

As far as Gauges go, many of the ones I use are just Pin Gauges mounted to a handle. The TDP can give you a great deal of information to determine what pin gauges to use.

I do make my own taper pin/plug gauges. Some are copies of the military examples. The Military Gauges can be unobtainable/hard to find.

The non Military Gauges are ones I have fabricated from problem parts and extensive troubleshooting.

Many people will claim gauging is pointless if you buy quality parts. I have seen otherwise. Approximately 11k AR's have crossed my bench so people can take it or leave it.

People assume my gauging has no basis in actual repairs and troubleshooting, but they are mistaken. Everything I check has a purpose or I wouldnt be checking.

I no longer make gauges for the public because they are extremely time consuming to make, and in all honesty I lose money making them. I do make them for students on a limited basis, but it's very limited.

Thank you for following my work. I'll do my best to respond here. I respect M4C and it's mission.
    I found your YouTube channel via suggested videos and I just want to thank you for putting out content. I've learned a bunch from watching your videos and just want to say thank you. I find your data driven approach to be very refreshing; there is a lot of root cause analysis going on which again is really great compared to the "start swapping parts until it works" approach that seems to be so prevalent. Thanks !

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just would like to add my two sense. I think gauging is very import, and that what SOTAR has shown the world is neat and informative. A lot of people foolishy believe that Ar15s are like legos. I've seen products from high end companies and unknown companies have serious issues from the beginning. With issues like out of spec gas ports,very out of spec bolt carries, extremely tight mag wells and in all honestly these parts "worked" but not effectly.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234