Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gripping a Glock

Feedback Score

Gripping a Glock

I bought my first Glock (a 21, soon followed by a 23) in 1993. Have had and still do have several since then.

My question is this: does anyone actually use the squared-off front of the trigger guard for placing the index finger of the support hand on? I wish Glock would round those off, but apparently someone must use it for that purpose, right?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    No.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Never had.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I went through FLETC in 1994 with a Glock 17. This is where I was introduced to thumbs up shooting. I was also taught to wrap my support hand index finger around the front of the trigger guard. Went back to FLETC in 1998 and they were really pushing rolling the support hand forward and pointing the support thumb straight forward along the slide. Finger around the trigger guard was not mentioned by then. David
    Last edited by dwhitehorne; 07-25-20 at 20:52.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I seem to recall being told by the guy who taught my CCW course back in 2004 that the squared off trigger guard was for shooting while bracing the pistol against a barricade.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 07-25-20 at 20:52.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I seem to recall being told by the guy who taught my CCW course back in 2004 that the squared off trigger guard was for shooting while bracing the pistol against a barricade.
    I've had this mentioned in a couple of classes also. David

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I would like to see evidence to support the using-hooked-trigger-guard-to-shoot-off-a-barricade theory.

Everything I've seen suggests that the hook came about because the best scoring action pistol shooters in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s were wrapping their support-side index finger around the front of the trigger. The evidence supporting this is that most of the pistols introduced in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s had those hooks while pistols introduced before that period and since that period have mostly not - plus there are plenty of images of said top action pistol shooters wrapping their support hand index fingers around the front of the trigger guard, often on 1911s modified to have hooked or squared-off trigger guards. (The only really significant exceptions I can think of are H&Ks - but the Mk23's trigger guard is too long for anyone to be able to use in the index finger in front of trigger guard mode and was intended to be used in conjunction with a laser aiming module. The USPs and HK45s that followed did not. And the VPs, P2000s, and P30s all have contours designed to match up with SureFire X200/300s and other WMLs.)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I get far enough forward with my support hand that the second joint is flat against the face of the trigger guard on both Glocks and M&P's. The palms of my hands are in total contact with the grip surface, the heels of my hand are touching and the wrist is rolled forward.

It works well for me. You are getting a lot of hand on the pistol and getting grip as far forward on the pistol as you can. If I remember to firmly roll my elbows out the pistol doesn't move much.

It feels more comfortable to me than 'wedging' that finger (index finger) under the trigger guard and none of my support hand is below the grip - in a more conventional grip my little finger doesn't do much.

I want to emphasize that I didn't start doing this in order to use my support hand index finger to control recoil, I do it primarily to get my support hand heel/palm more in contact with the grip - no gaps.

I have XL hands, not particularly meaty if that makes a difference.

ETA: OP, I don't like shooting the Glock 21, the grip size doesn't mesh. On the other hand, I shoot my 30S pretty good.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-25-20 at 22:46.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I get far enough forward with my support hand that the second joint is flat against the face of the trigger guard on both Glocks and M&P's. The palms of my hands are in total contact with the grip surface, the heels of my hand are touching and the wrist is rolled forward.

It works well for me. You are getting a lot of hand on the pistol and getting grip as far forward on the pistol as you can. If I remember to firmly roll my elbows out the pistol doesn't move much.

It feels more comfortable to me than 'wedging' that finger (index finger) under the trigger guard and none of my support hand is below the grip - in a more conventional grip my little finger doesn't do much.

I want to emphasize that I didn't start doing this in order to use my support hand index finger to control recoil, I do it primarily to get my support hand heel/palm more in contact with the grip - no gaps.

I have XL hands, not particularly meaty if that makes a difference.

ETA: OP, I don't like shooting the Glock 21, the grip size doesn't mesh. On the other hand, I shoot my 30S pretty good.
    The 21 I have nowadays is a 21SF. Slightly better than the standard 21 in that respect.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can/could also use it, if out of ammo, as a knuckle duster and pop someone in the mouth or head if need be.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast