Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gripping a Glock

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ernest Langdon demonstrating and describing why you want that 4th finger wrapped around your others and not the trigger guard, this is the best explanation I've heard, skip ahead to 12:40.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Putting index finger on the guard weakens a support hand grip, that's obvious and Ernest has his way explaining it.
    A little digression. A gent named Mason Lane finished last year's CO Nationals placing amidst somewhere M class crowd and good 10% above me. He shot the entire match one handed, his support hand was in the cast.

The point of this is that there are folks who either have strength or specific techniques that don't need or rely on death grip from all four fingers, and who might derive benefit from an advantage that finger-on-the-guard offers, namely placing a support hand higher on the frame.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Putting index finger on the guard weakens a support hand grip, that's obvious and Ernest has his way explaining it.
    A little digression. A gent named Mason Lane finished last year's CO Nationals placing amidst somewhere M class crowd and good 10% above me. He shot the entire match one handed, his support hand was in the cast.

The point of this is that there are folks who either have strength or specific techniques that don't need or rely on death grip from all four fingers, and who might derive benefit from an advantage that finger-on-the-guard offers, namely placing a support hand higher on the frame.
    That's awesome!

I do a lot of shooting one-handed. (Well, perhaps 1/3 of it) It's one of the reasons I prefer smaller than full-size and lighter recoiling pistols.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I bought my first Glock (a 21, soon followed by a 23) in 1993. Have had and still do have several since then.

My question is this: does anyone actually use the squared-off front of the trigger guard for placing the index finger of the support hand on? I wish Glock would round those off, but apparently someone must use it for that purpose, right?
    I don’t use the squared off guard to place my index finger. I’m sure some might, but I’ve not personally seen it done that way.

Feedback Score
    It feels more comfortable to me than 'wedging' that finger (index finger) under the trigger guard and none of my support hand is below the grip - in a more conventional grip my little finger doesn't do much. I want to emphasize that I didn't start doing this in order to use my support hand index finger to control recoil. autoclicker.onl
    Last edited by Mikeguy2225; 08-09-20 at 00:51.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Finger on the front of the trigger gaurd tended to make me pull shots left, I am right handed.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I would say there is no secret sauce...try everything and see what works for you. However, in general most people (including myself) need to grip more with their support hand (crush). I would suggest filming yourself shooting bill drills (or just into the berm) with different grips and watching it back on the Coaches Eye app. Make mental notes if you feel the gun moving in your grip or how the sights tracked.

my 2 cents.
    Colt Armorer Course, 2004
    Remington Factory LE Armorer School (870, 1187, and 700), 2008, 2013
    Remington 870 LE Armorer course, 2017
    Specialized Armament M16 / M4 / AR-15® Advanced Armorer Course, 2012, 2016
    Glock Armorer Course, 2012, 2016
    S&W M&P 15 Armorer Course, 2013, 2019

Feedback Score
    I round off the "hook" of the trigger guard on all my Glocks. I've had my pointer finger of my support hand get caught up on it when drawing from the holster. Having it rounded allows my support hand to slide right into position if I'm off a little
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123