Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Buy overpriced lowers or wait and hope?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Look at it this way. A $150 lower is 3x the cost of a $50 lower...but it only increases your total build cost by $100. This is why I've always questioned people buying PSA and Anderson lowers over something like a LMT Defender.
    Still waiting for someone to show me that a PSA or Anderson lower isn't the same as any other forged lower? Milspec is milspec. Did you have the same thoughts about PSA when they were selling Aero lowers?

I have sold many, many PSA (and to a lesser degree Anderson) and haven't had a single problem with them.

PSA has lowers for $70 right now. Don't know why you would pay double that for a name. Just saying...

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarbine View Post
    Still waiting for someone to show me that a PSA or Anderson lower isn't the same as any other forged lower? Milspec is milspec. Did you have the same thoughts about PSA when they were selling Aero lowers?

I have sold many, many PSA (and to a lesser degree Anderson) and haven't had a single problem with them.

PSA has lowers for $70 right now. Don't know why you would pay double that for a name. Just saying...
    Here we go again...

You could go watch someone actually checking this on YouTube on the School of the American Rifle channel.

Cheaper does not have to mean “bad.”
    Functional is not the same as “the same.”

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Well, for starters, PSA and Anderson aren't milspec, so there's that. I don't pay for names though, I pay for quality. You may or may not be in a place financially where you can afford an extra $100. That's okay. Enjoy your PSA and Anderson.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Just saying...
    And nobody here cares...

Feedback Score
    Look at it this way. A $150 lower is 3x the cost of a $50 lower...but it only increases your total build cost by $100. This is why I've always questioned people buying PSA and Anderson lowers over something like a LMT Defender.
    Amen brother !!

Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    do you also violate the NFA and have illegal SBRs and MGs?
    Its only illegal if you get caught!

Feedback Score
    Well, for starters, PSA and Anderson aren't milspec, so there's that. I don't pay for names though, I pay for quality. You may or may not be in a place financially where you can afford an extra $100. That's okay. Enjoy your PSA and Anderson.
    I can afford any and all, but I don't see a reason to pay out more for something if I can't tell a difference. I bought a PA-10 lower and the fit to their upper was crap. However, I have Anderson lowers among many others and I honestly can't tell a bit of difference between any of them other than perhaps the finish. Please educate me since the difference isn't obvious. How are the Anderson lowers out of spec?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Please educate me since the difference isn't obvious.
    Anderson, Aero, Spikes, PSA are budget friendly-quality- economical lowers. They are a great starting point if you chose to build the entire gun from an economical platform. I wouldn't suggest starting with an Anderson lower if your intent is to use a Noveske barrel or higher end components like KAC, LMT etc. The fit and finish are consistent with each other in regards to machining, deburring and anodizing. The question at hand is, is it worth spending the extra coin considering there is a nation wide shortage of AR components and accessories or wait this season out and hopes that the shelves will be restocked and prices will adjust accordingly. In short, No! Not during an election year.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I can afford any and all, but I don't see a reason to pay out more for something if I can't tell a difference. I bought a PA-10 lower and the fit to their upper was crap. However, I have Anderson lowers among many others and I honestly can't tell a bit of difference between any of them other than perhaps the finish. Please educate me since the difference isn't obvious. How are the Anderson lowers out of spec?
    They have a long history of shipping out of spec lowers and improperly assembled uppers. I'm no longer on Facebook, but this question came up everyday in gun groups and one guy that owned a gun shop had piles of pictures of bad Anderson product. Things like un-broached magwells, grip screw holes not being threaded, offset buffer retainer being required due to the hole for the spring and retainer being too far back which causes the buffer to strike the retainer, trigger pin holes in the wrong location, and just overall poor quality.

They literally have no QC dept, so you run a bigger risk of getting a bad product from them than many others. Sure their lowers are $40, but my time is valuable and dicking around with companies with bad track records is something I'm absolutely not going to do at this point in my life.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have always said buying high quality products increases your chance of having a good experince exponentially. The chances of having a bad product are much higher when you buy cheaper. You can buy a PSA lower, even if the lower is "in spec", the LPK could be trash. I have one friend that buys cheapest gun and gun parts and every time he is always coming to me saying why is this not working. And I tell him and tell him and he just keeps doing it.

You can lead a horse to water...

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-06-20 at 12:38.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I have always said buying high quality products increases your chance of having a good experince exponentially. The chances of having a bad product are much higher when you buy cheaper. You can buy a PSA lower, even if the lower is "in spec", the LPK could be trash. I have one friend that buys cheapest gun and gun parts and every time he is always coming to me saying why is this not working. And I tell him and tell him and he just keeps doing it.

You can lead a horse to water...

PB
    Absolutely true. I got lucky with a serviceable Anderson lower, but I am not foolish enough to think they are as good as my Sionics, Nodak Spud, LMT, or Sabre Defense lowers. Anderson will (used to at least) take care of you under warranty, but will you have to pay to transfer the replacement lower? You certainly will be out your time and frustration.

I will (and have) purchased a stripped PSA lower before another Anderson. I believe PSA is "better". But I purchased my PSA lower at a LGS (at a good price) where I could inspect it. I rejected 2 PSA lowers before I bought one for a dedicated 22 build.

There is a place for cheap parts IMHO, but I would struggle with buying an Aero part for close to the same price as better suppliers (Sionics, SOLGW, etc).

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-06-20 at 15:12.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast