-Ballastic advantage 10.3 Hanson Barrel w/
    Pinned lo pro gas block
    -Geissele MK8 Rail
    -Noveseke Flaming pig kx5
    -Aero upper reciever/ assembled
    -Aero M4E1 lower reciever
    -Tool Craft Bcg
    -Radian Raptor Lt CH
    -Sba3 brace w/buffer tube, standard carbine spring and buffer.

I dont plan on suppressing it for a year or two.
    I want it too be a real nice shooter. I'm new to shorter barrels. What buffer should I go with? Should I plan on upgrading the spring?
    Last edited by spiro; 07-27-20 at 14:57. Reason: Forgot component

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I am running an H2 buffer and standard carbine spring in my 11.3" Hanson and suggest the same for your 10.3.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Thanks man I ordered the spikes t2 I'll try that first if I need to go heavier I will. I was thinking about trying one of the sprinco springs.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you need to go heavier buy an A5 system. There is no downside to them but not every Gun needs them even though all mine do. YMMV

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I'll look into that thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds like a good build. I run H3s with standard springs in all of mine.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiro View Post
    Thanks man I ordered the spikes t2 I'll try that first if I need to go heavier I will. I was thinking about trying one of the sprinco springs.
    The Spikes tungsten powder buffers don't damp bolt bounce as well as the equivalent buffers using solid weights.

The H2 buffer is a good choice for shorty ARs. The A5H2 coupled with a Sprinco green spring is even better.

Extractor spring quality is critical. Use either a Colt or Sprinco M4 extractor spring.

Get a Split Fix for the SBA3. It goes a long way towards stiffening up the brace to keep it from collapsing and protects it from damage.

Free float tubes on a 10.5 are not always a good value. Barrel that short doesn't flex much. Before investing in an aluminum free float handguard, take a look at the Magpul Slimline handguard. Costs much loves and does a far better job protecting your hand from heat.

Skip the Flaming Pig. Get the BRT Covert Comp instead. Costs less, it's lighter, smaller and does an excellent job pushing muzzle blast down range.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions. I already have the kx5 and geissele rail. I also have the bcm extractor upgrade kit. The sprinco springs look awesome. Why the green one?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiro View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I already have the kx5 and geissele rail. I also have the bcm extractor upgrade kit.
    The problem with the BCM extractor upgrade kit is that it's meant to be used with an O ring when used in a shorty upper. The O ring was just an interim fix needed only because the military dragged its feet adopting the Colt M4 extractor spring. Any extractor spring that needs an O ring needs to be replaced. O rings flatten and deteriorate and jam up the extractor.

The sprinco springs look awesome. Why the green one?
    Because there are rootbeer floats, then there are rootbeer floats made with Virgil's rootbeer and Farr's vanilla bean ice cream. Combining an A5H2 buffer with the Sprinco green spring is the Virgil's & Farr's of buffers & springs. Sweet and smooth. The green spring is the same power as a standard rifle recoil spring, but it feels smoother and more consistent in operation.

(Just remember that A5 buffers must be used in A5 receiver extensions and the green spring is a rifle spring and shouldn't be used in a carbine RE or with a carbine type buffer.)
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-29-20 at 05:42.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The Spikes tungsten powder buffers don't damp bolt bounce as well as the equivalent buffers using solid weights.

The H2 buffer is a good choice for shorty ARs. The A5H2 coupled with a Sprinco green spring is even better.

Extractor spring quality is critical. Use either a Colt or Sprinco M4 extractor spring.

Get a Split Fix for the SBA3. It goes a long way towards stiffening up the brace to keep it from collapsing and protects it from damage.

Free float tubes on a 10.5 are not always a good value. Barrel that short doesn't flex much. Before investing in an aluminum free float handguard, take a look at the Magpul Slimline handguard. Costs much loves and does a far better job protecting your hand from heat.

Skip the Flaming Pig. Get the BRT Covert Comp instead. Costs less, it's lighter, smaller and does an excellent job pushing muzzle blast down range.

I agree on the point regarding the handguard. I have an 11.3" build with a 10" freefloat handguard on it and a 10" build with MOE handguards on it. The freefloat gets hot fast. Heat isn't an issue with the plastic handguards. Unless you need to mount something on the rail that needs to maintain a zero, I'd go plastic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast