Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10.3 pistol build

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The advice MistWolf is providing is solid, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. I would only buy parts to replace what you have if it's necessary.

The Hanson barrel does not have a shoulder to secure traditional handguards and is intended to be used with a free float rail.

The A5 system is an upgrade over the carbine, but can be harder to find and is more expensive. If you go A5, a A5H2 buffer with standard or Sprinco green rifle spring is a great starting place.

The T2 would not have been my choice but will work if you cannot return it. I am running an H2 with a BCM standard spring on an 11.3" Hanson. You can run a Sprinco white or blue spring, but BCM is cheaper and solid quality.

The BCM extractor spring is an improvement over the spring that came with your BCG. I prefer Sprinco, but the BCM will work if you already have it. I don't use the "donut" with the BCM (or Sprinco) springs. BCM says you don't need it, btw.

I strongly second MW's recommendation to use a BRT Covert Comp in place of the Flaming Pig. I am running one on my 11.3 and won't change unless I am supressing.

Honestly, your 10.3" should run well with the parts you list, with a H2/T2 or H3 buffer and a BRT Covert Comp replacing the Noveske unit.

You need a lower parts kit/fire control group (trigger/hammer/safety) too. BCM and Sionics are good, Joe Bob Outfitters is the least expensive I would use. Others are good too, I just have not used them.

Andy

P.S./Edit: The flaming pig will not hamper the fuction of your pistol, but it's awfully heavy and expensive for a flash can.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 07-29-20 at 08:33.

Feedback Score
    Great information from everyone. Thank you for the solid advice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The Spikes tungsten powder buffers don't damp bolt bounce as well as the equivalent buffers using solid weights.

The H2 buffer is a good choice for shorty ARs. The A5H2 coupled with a Sprinco green spring is even better.

Extractor spring quality is critical. Use either a Colt or Sprinco M4 extractor spring.

Get a Split Fix for the SBA3. It goes a long way towards stiffening up the brace to keep it from collapsing and protects it from damage.

Free float tubes on a 10.5 are not always a good value. Barrel that short doesn't flex much. Before investing in an aluminum free float handguard, take a look at the Magpul Slimline handguard. Costs much loves and does a far better job protecting your hand from heat.

Skip the Flaming Pig. Get the BRT Covert Comp instead. Costs less, it's lighter, smaller and does an excellent job pushing muzzle blast down range.

I agree on the point regarding the handguard. I have an 11.3" build with a 10" freefloat handguard on it and a 10" build with MOE handguards on it. The freefloat gets hot fast. Heat isn't an issue with the plastic handguards. Unless you need to mount something on the rail that needs to maintain a zero, I'd go plastic.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    I agree on the point regarding the handguard. I have an 11.3" build with a 10" freefloat handguard on it and a 10" build with MOE handguards on it. The freefloat gets hot fast. Heat isn't an issue with the plastic handguards. Unless you need to mount something on the rail that needs to maintain a zero, I'd go plastic.
    But his barrel (assuming it has been purchased) doesn't have a shoulder and cannot mount plastic handguards.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Im building this around the mk8 rail i love the way they look! I plan on putting some rail scales or burn proof handguard cover like I have on my mid-length. 20200718_192316.jpg

Feedback Score
    I ordered a maritime bolt catch, 2A armament take down pins, and a radian 45 degree safety selector. The brace came with a psa lower parts kit. The EPT trigger comes with it. Basically a polished upgraded milspec trigger. Eventually I will upgrade it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last time I shot my 10.3" hanson barreled firearm (before the atf changed how to measure OAL and I broke it down), I used a Sprinco Blue spring and H3 reliably with Mk262, M193 and M855. I then dropped down to an H2 for use with more types of ammo and adverse conditions just in case.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just pulled the barrel from the safe.

10.3" Hanson profile w/pinned LPGB and .750" gas block journal diameter.

1/16" drill bit drops in freely
    5/64" drill does not fit

And just because
    1.5mm drops in freely
    2mm does not

Using digital calipers, I'm getting .075" ~ .0755" gas port diameter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Just pulled the barrel from the safe.

10.3" Hanson profile w/pinned LPGB and .750" gas block journal diameter.

1/16" drill bit drops in freely
    5/64" drill does not fit

And just because
    1.5mm drops in freely
    2mm does not

Using digital calipers, I'm getting .075" ~ .0755" gas port diameter.
    Awesome information!! That is super helpful.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spiro View Post
    Awesome information!! That is super helpful.
    No problem.

Did a little search and also found this
    https://sites.google.com/view/black-...ference-charts

Seems I'm not the only one to get .075" and I'm more than willing to chalk the extra ~.0005" difference to user error.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast