• 14.5”

42 46.67%
  • 16”

48 53.33%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 14.5 vs 16” rifle

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Neither is objectively “better.” Barrel profile is more of a topic when comparing barrels this close in length, IMHO.

The 16” isn’t that much longer, and you can change things, and you get a little more velocity. I have pared down to one 16”, a 12.5, and a suppressed-only 11.5.”

With that said...

If you have enough experience to know what you like, know what you want, know the intended purpose, know what suppressor is already purchased, know that you don’t need to stretch the velocity as far as possible, and don’t mind the added expense of pinning/welding, then there are some benefits to the 13.7-14.7” lengths. A) It’s shorter. B) It is not restricted in any way while being shorter. C) It saves a little weight if an appropriate-to-purpose profile is chosen, which may start to matter with the added weight of a suppressor. D) If used with a suppressor, the pin/weld can be an advantage if the suppressor gets baked on.

If I only were going to have one upper, and if I didn’t already have an SBR lower and did not want one, I would probably pin a BRT 14.0” barrel. But I didn’t and won’t do this.
    A 16” seems like the easier and more practical choice. Then go shorter to 11.3-12.5 for a CQB and suppressed setup.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I prefer 14.5, but I've decided that I can "live" with a closed tine WarComp. If you haven't made the decision to stick to a MD then 16". The difference in weight & handling isn't huge but I'll take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    Given this is the tech forum, I'd point out that you will see differences in gas pressure and muzzle velocity between the 14.5 and 16 inch. The relevance of said difference depends on the ammo you are using and what you are using the rifle for. You may also see differences in reliability due to the different pressures. Gas pressure drives bolt velocity which in turn drives buffer spring and weight (IOT mitigate bolt balance, etc.) Also, differences in gas systems carbine vs mid-length can change the gas pressure equation. We've got some SMEs around here that really talk intelligently about it.

I use a 14.5 service rifle (M4A1) and own 16" and 14.5" perm pinned. The M4A1 is really good getting into and out of vehicles and in closed spaces. The 14.5 with pinned device measured out to 16.1ish where my 16 with device ranged from 17-18 inches, so a little longer.

For a general purpose rifle for a civilian that can't/won't SBR, I generally recomend the 16" mid length from a reputable vendor. That way you don't have to worry as much about the law, you can remove the muzzle device to change rails, gas system parts etc.

Feedback Score
    If it were me, I wouldn't be considering 16 vs 14.5. I'd be considering 16 vs 13.7-13.9, depending on muzzle device. If you're going to pin and weld, make it worth your while.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Depends on your plans.

For general purpose without a form 1, I’d take a 14.5 with a can every day over a 16 with the same can unless I’m shooting 500+ yards. Without a can, I’d want overall length to be at 16. For longer muzzle devices, get a shorter barrel to match. Most 16” barrels are just 18” once the muzzle device is on. Walk through your house with a broom handle the length of a rifle with 18” to see how narrow your doorways have become. If you live in a barn, that isn’t an issue.

I don’t find the argument “but you’re married to your muzzle device” to be convincing for multiple reasons.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I second jackblacks 13.9 recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Depends on your plans.

For general purpose without a form 1, I’d take a 14.5 with a can every day over a 16 with the same can unless I’m shooting 500+ yards. Without a can, I’d want overall length to be at 16. For longer muzzle devices, get a shorter barrel to match. Most 16” barrels are just 18” once the muzzle device is on. Walk through your house with a broom handle the length of a rifle with 18” to see how narrow your doorways have become. If you live in a barn, that isn’t an issue.

I don’t find the argument “but you’re married to your muzzle device” to be convincing for multiple reasons.
    Your point is taken but your math is off. A 14.5 with A2 flash hider is less than 16". A 16" with an A2 FH is closer to 17" than 18.

Turning OCD off now.

Andy

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mine are 16” just because they came 16” and I didn’t care to spend the money to have ‘em cut down and P&W.

Not much different either way.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I prefer 16" just because it allows much greater flexibility in changing your muzzle device and handguard if you ever decide you want to.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score

14.5 vs 16” rifle

Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Depends on your plans.

Yer right, because if it’s a duty or a fighting rifle, you shouldn’t ever need anything more than a good flash hider or a can anyways. No need to change muzzle devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast