• 14.5”

42 46.67%
  • 16”

48 53.33%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 14.5 vs 16” rifle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Me, I'm not following some arbitrary and ridiculous law and having FH pinned and welded onto a barrel. The concept is, in my brain, idiotic, and I will never get past it.

16" for that "medium size/weight" gun is, I think, optimum. I have a handle extension on my bayonet, fits perfectly.

I like 11.5" for the short/light niche, and 18" for a "long gun".

Can't see a reason to ever own a 14.5.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Me, I'm not following some arbitrary and ridiculous law and having FH pinned and welded onto a barrel. The concept is, in my brain, idiotic, and I will never get past it.

16" for that "medium size/weight" gun is, I think, optimum. I have a handle extension on my bayonet, fits perfectly.

I like 11.5" for the short/light niche, and 18" for a "long gun".

Can't see a reason to ever own a 14.5.
    FWIW, a 16" midlength mounts an M7/M9 bayonet just fine. Not a huge selling point for me, but it works.

Andy

Feedback Score
    In the AR15 a barrel length of 14.5 to 20 inches seems practical depending on your priorities. I know they are gaining popularity in recent years, but to me the shorter barrel lengths just seem like expensive noise makers. Just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
    You lose so much velocity when you go shorter than 16”, and velocity is the 5.56 main strong point. Just for useless information... a friend and I were shooting mild steel plate with same FMJ ammo. He had 14.5” and mine was 16”. My rounds went through clean, but his couldn’t make it and just left a bubble on the backside of the plate. His twist was 1/7 and mine is 1/9, but I don’t know if that affects bullet velocity. I just thought that was curious given the small difference in barrel length.

I would check out the terminal ballistics forum if you still think the velocity difference between a 14.5" and 16" makes a difference in lethality of the 5.56. cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by Colt Carson View Post
    In the AR15 a barrel length of 14.5 to 20 inches seems practical depending on your priorities. I know they are gaining popularity in recent years, but to me the shorter barrel lengths just seem like expensive noise makers. Just my opinion.
    There are people out there who go in and out of vehicles and structures all the time as well as put things like suppressors on their guns.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 08-04-20 at 02:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I will say this, I have ARs in both 14.5" and 16". When I do not feel the need to go through the expense and inconvenience of having a muzzle device pinned and welded or if I am building a specific clone, I will get a 16" barrel and have done so many a time. The weight savings between the two barrels is negligible to me and the cost savings is advantageous as it allows for part of the budget to be better spent in other areas of a build.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballo View Post
    Right now this would be my only rifle. Although not ideal, I figure I can get the job done with the 16”.
    if it is your only rifle, I recommend 16" simply because you can change things on and off. As you shoot you will develop preferences and once you know what you want go build yourself a 14.5 pinned. I have built several, my last built is a 10.3... after some troubleshooting and help from some members of this forum... I am very very happy... but before having a shorty, I built two 16" that I use to hunt and precision. I built an 18" that I sold... it was great but could not see a major difference with m 16". I have a 14.5 pinned that I use to practice. I have played with the idea of changing something and I cannot because it is pinned. I have my do it all... a 12.5 noveske... I simply love it. If I had to choose one, that is the one that comes home with me. I built a 10.3 to carry during these troubled times since I spend a lot of time on the road.... it is also for my wife since she likes the weight and maneuverability.
    Again... if it is your first and only gun for a while go with the 16".
    Last edited by elpotro; 08-04-20 at 16:28. Reason: typo

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456