Thread: M1A Scout Squad Sage Chassis ( EBR ) issues.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Question M1A Scout Squad Sage Chassis ( EBR ) issues.

In Summary/Clif Notes: Op Rod Block rotates slightly and Receiver is loose in chassis. Gas system was loose per below, but I think I can sort that out. (for those of you who don't care for my shit story telling)

So I've been looking around the interwebs the last few days and I cant seem to find anyone with a similar issue. I recently finished my AR project and turned my project attention to the EBR sitting in the closet. I started with a range session to see what I was working with and then decided to do a full tear down. Now I traded a PS90 for this thing, to a very high ranking mall ninja I assure you, and he left behind some interesting foot prints. First of which was the Lord of the Rings YHM muzzle break. So I got rid of that for a SEI Unit. In the process I noticed that there was some build up on my GLFS, I assumed it was crap welding on a crap GLFS then realized it was carbon build up on a Smith Enterprise GLFS. OK strike one, we didn't mount the muzzle break correctly, no worries, moving on. Next to come off was the gas plug. When the plug came out, rifle is on its side at this point, the GLFS fell. Like completely loose. Now, I'm not real sure but I'm thinking that's not right, I did just buy a tool to install and remove that very thing soo, strike two. I'm pretty sure I just need a shim kit to address that. Moving on ..I take out the three screws in the Sage OP Rod Guide Block. That's weird I think I noticed most people on youtube only pulling one screw out, but ok. Now for the two things I'm actually worried about. The OP Rod Block will move about a 1/32 of a turn around the barrel, like a ratchet that can only move one tooth, also my M1A Scout barreled action will just pull free from the chassis once the block screws are removed. Using little, to no force I can just grab the action free from the chassis. Now I don't know enough about the weapon to say that's bad, but I'm betting a thing designed to make the rifle more rigid ought to be press fit?, but that's a WAG at best. I looked in fear to see if Snake-Eye the mall ninja had taken a file or something to the chassis or the receiver and I didn't see anything. SO I guess what I'm, asking is...Can I shim this thing? It it ok as-is? Should I contact Sage/SA? Any guidance, other than that of another mall ninja, would be appreciated. Thanks for the time in advance.

S/F,

Nick
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood for something, sometime in your life.----Sir Winston Churchill

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Figured it out, thanks for the help.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood for something, sometime in your life.----Sir Winston Churchill

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Care to elaborate?

Anyway, yeah you're right. The op-rod guide block should be tight, maybe it just wasn't hammered down the barrel enough.

I'm not sure on the rules for plugging other forums on here, so I apologize if I'm out of line, but the M14 forum has a dedicated subforum for modern chassis builds, and you can find a lot of useful information and links in there. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Basically, The SA barreled action isn’t tight in any way to the chassis. I called Smith Enterprises and they said as long as the Receiver is flush with the chassis in the rear I’m ok. The chassis will work as advertised. That being said, I’m gonna shoot it. See what it can do with a good cleaning and a Shimmed gas system and if I don’t like that I’ll come up with a way to shim the receiver into the chassis. That and development of my own load for this rifle.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    While I know Sage say you don’t need to bed it, there’s nothing to prevent you from doing it.

Sent from 80ms in the future