Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shoot/test the Berry's Hollow Point pistol bullets?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Anyone shoot/test the Berry's Hollow Point pistol bullets?

These things look good. Pappabear grabbed 250 to mess with, so I knocked the dust off the pistol dies and loaded some up.

I didn't have time to set up a jug test for expansion, but I plan to next shoot.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Those look different than the ones I've used in the past, but Berry's tend to be pretty soft. I didn't like them due to heavy copper fouling and poor accuracy.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We shot some on steel Sunday, but we really haven't tried accuracy comparisons like we do with rifle ammo. I used to be a killer shot with pistol in my 20s. I suck at trying to shoot tight pistol groups these days. But we'll probably give it a shot, and check expansion this weekend. I've shot a ton of Berry's plated over the years, but never really noticed copper fouling being an issue.

I may run a patch of Boretech in my 1911 to see how green it changes.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Also experienced sub par accuracy with Berry’s, although this pre dates their JHPs shown.
    The Zero and Precision Delta JHPs are a bit more expensive, but accuracy with either has been excellent, edge going to Zero’s IME.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We shot some on steel Sunday, but we really haven't tried accuracy comparisons like we do with rifle ammo. I used to be a killer shot with pistol in my 20s. I suck at trying to shoot tight pistol groups these days. But we'll probably give it a shot, and check expansion this weekend. I've shot a ton of Berry's plated over the years, but never really noticed copper fouling being an issue.

I may run a patch of Boretech in my 1911 to see how green it changes.
    Most of mine were over TiteGroup, which burns really hot so that may have had something to do with it. One observation I had was on steel. The copper plating is thin, but it's plated well and tends to hold the lead slug together on impact. We'd find a lot of copper plated discs at the base of the steel and splatter on adjacent paper targets was minimal (less than unplated hard cast lead). IOW, they're good for shooting steel at closer ranges, whereas jacketed aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Also experienced sub par accuracy with Berry’s, although this pre dates their JHPs shown.
    The Zero and Precision Delta JHPs are a bit more expensive, but accuracy with either has been excellent, edge going to Zero’s IME.
    Same here. My preferred accuracy load for big matches was Montana Gold JHP's (almost as accurate as XTP's at half the price), with Zero and Precision Deltas as backups if MG's were out of stock.
    Last edited by glocktogo; 07-28-20 at 14:38.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    These are still plated bullets as far as i can see.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Most of mine were over TiteGroup, which burns really hot so that may have had something to do with it. One observation I had was on steel. The copper plating is thin, but it's plated well and tends to hold the lead slug together on impact. We'd find a lot of copper plated discs at the base of the steel and splatter on adjacent paper targets was minimal (less than unplated hard cast lead). IOW, they're good for shooting steel at closer ranges, whereas jacketed aren't.

Same here. My preferred accuracy load for big matches was Montana Gold JHP's (almost as accurate as XTP's at half the price), with Zero and Precision Deltas as backups if MG's were out of stock.
    This has been my experience on steel as well. Supposedly, the newer Berry HP's hold together better than previous. There is a thread on TOS comparing these through gelatin to Gold Dots where they appear to expand more but still hold together. As far as I know, they are still played bullets.

MT Gold are just the opppsite- those suckers are hard

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    These are the 45 ACPs. We also got some Sierra 124gr Sig Sauer branded hollow points to try out too. I envision the Sierra bullets smoking the Berry's in accuracy based on the replies here.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've shot a lot of Berry's plateds, to include their "Double-struck" attempt at target bullets.

They go bang. They tend to cut down on lead fouling. They aren't bullseye bullets, but I haven't found they copper foul any worse than others.

If you're going for precision I'd go Montana Gold, Zero, or Rocky Mountain Reloading (which I think also makes or sells Speer's as seconds).

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    This has been my experience on steel as well. Supposedly, the newer Berry HP's hold together better than previous. There is a thread on TOS comparing these through gelatin to Gold Dots where they appear to expand more but still hold together. As far as I know, they are still played bullets.

MT Gold are just the opppsite- those suckers are hard
    LOL, VERY hard!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast