Thread: NV 850nm vs 940 nm

Feedback Score

NV 850nm vs 940 nm

New to NV question.

It is said 940nm illuminators are harder to see with the naked eye than 850nm. The question is with NV is 940nm any harder or easier to see than 850nm?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    New to NV question.

It is said 940nm illuminators are harder to see with the naked eye than 850nm. The question is with NV is 940nm any harder or easier to see than 850nm?
    Yes, it is reduced notably. If you're trying to illuminate more covertly and don't have SWIR, then go laser like MAWL, NGAL, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Yes, it is reduced notably. If you're trying to illuminate more covertly and don't have SWIR, then go laser like MAWL, NGAL, etc.
    I know this is going to seem stupid but what is SWIR?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Aren’t you the one that said NV wasn’t needed and all that was needed was some kind of tritium front sight on your irons only rifle?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Aren’t you the one that said NV wasn’t needed and all that was needed was some kind of tritium front sight on your irons only rifle?
    I don't remember saying that nor do I have tritium front sights now. I am not sure I ever confused a point of aim which is the tritium for NV.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Are you really gonna throw shade at circa 2008 me?
    (Seriously, I remember running hundreds of feet of extension cord and setting up automotive shop lights near a clearing to plug in rapidly to try to hunt coyotes as a 20 year old back in 05ish. Wow. Blast from the past memory lane!)

That aside, SWIR...1064nm. Short Wave InfraRed. MAWL CLAD. For a different game than you're likely trying to get into.
    Last edited by WS6; 08-06-20 at 04:59.

Feedback Score

F/u

The CLAD is an entirely different animal. I have had one for some time now.