Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortages of ammunition and firearms ramping up

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Shortages of ammunition and firearms ramping up

So yeah, the painfully obvious, significant shortages of ammo (.22lr, 9mm, .45 acp, .223/5.56) and popular gun models are nationwide. Not surprised by that completely, but surprised how bad it is already. I don't shop a ton the last year or two because I am pretty well stocked. Was looking around this week for some .22lr and was pretty stunned at the state of things.

A few articles discussing the nationwide supply situation:

In addition to that:
    1. Two LGS that I work with in WA state say that due to COVID-19, there's been a disruption in supply of both new firearms, and ammo. In some cases because OEM factories shut down. They cannot get any of the most popular calibers, and models. For instance try to get a G19 Gen5, or a case 5.56 or 9mm any brand: forget it.
    2. Beyond the local scene, I went to several of my favorite online stores for firearms and ammunition. Out of EVERYthing in the popular models and calibers, and slim pickings in calibers that I use that are less popular, such as 6.5 Grendel.

Speculation about what's driving those trends, in order of importance:
    1. COVID-19 related disruptions in supply.
    2. Increased buying due to social unrest.
    3. Early ramp-up buying anticipating left-wing election victories resulting in further gun control legislation.

Any other factors? Is it gonna' get better within 12 months *if* Trump is re-elected, or do we expect the supply situation continues indefinitely due to the OTHER factors we're facing, items 1 and 2 above?

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Local gun shop is continually packed selling about everything they can get their hands on. Talked to a couple of the fellas I know and they are saying it's to the point that it is almost impossible to get new stock in, esp shotguns and M4 style weapons. Ammo is the same situation. It goes out the door as fast as it comes in.
    Repression Is Nine Tenths The Law

Feedback Score
    Right now, it's hard to find anything: Minor accessories (grips, rail covers, etc), plate carriers, combat shirts...
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Plate carriers and plates are getting thin.

If I needed to buy a long gun for defense it would be a 12 gauge shotgun, at least ammo is available around here.

I didn't expect parts/accessories to sell out so quickly.

I don't need anything (maybe plate carrier and plates) but don't like the inconvenience of it all.

Andy

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My question; how in HELL did people not see this coming?
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Saw it coming later this year, but Covid/stimulus/riots moved it up about 3 months. My needs are covered, but it's still a PITA. I cannot buy ammo to replace what I shoot to keep my stocks at the same level.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have no shortage of ammunition, reloading components or firearms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I have no shortage of ammunition, reloading components or firearms.
    Same. The FAKEdemic, FAKEracism, and all other propaganda never triggered the slightest thought that I'm short on gun crap.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ammo can be found online & I don't see the shortages beyond the local brick & mortars w. said panic buying...just gotta pony up to the new market.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Funny you should say that. I had this exact conversation yesterday when I visited a local range. The owners told me there was something like 5 million first time gun buyers last month alone. Their observations are a bell weather of the shifting mindset of society. People are complacent and ignore the writing on the wall. Every new owner visiting the range says the same thing- they are scared of what’s coming. The Obama years were like a long drought- things were scarce but people managed. There were many first time gun owners but it was buying to own before the threat of bans. First timers showed up, got trained but many didn’t buy memberships or maintain their training. The start of the Trump administration was a relief- people relaxed, supply chain caught up and prices returned to normal.

To address your question- mainstream society is too concerned about getting up voted for sharing meaningless details of the boring lives and fitting in with the herd. Then COVID happened. Some new gun buyers got ahead of the tsunami but most gun & ammo sales were hoarders or flippers. Then the riots started. Suddenly every one from all walks of life showed up, wanting a firearm. Many single women are showing up seeking advice on training and guidance on proper use of force. The range cannot reliably source ammunition outside of shotgun shells. Suppliers are first come, first served. The range owners are limiting ammo sales to a boxes only, no bulk sales, knowing that they will lose more business if there is nothing on the shelves for the rookies. I saw the same thing at Sportsmans Warehouse- people bought what ever gun was on the shelf without realizing that it is useless without ammunition. The shelves are consistently bare, outside of the oddball calibers and most reloading components. I think powder is the limiting factor there.

In short, the bulk of society are sheep, waiting for the next signal for how to act. When the threat of wolves suddenly becomes real they are caught off guard and panic.
    Last edited by Co-gnARR; 07-29-20 at 08:41.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast