Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortages of ammunition and firearms ramping up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Shortages of ammunition and firearms ramping up

So yeah, the painfully obvious, significant shortages of ammo (.22lr, 9mm, .45 acp, .223/5.56) and popular gun models are nationwide. Not surprised by that completely, but surprised how bad it is already. I don't shop a ton the last year or two because I am pretty well stocked. Was looking around this week for some .22lr and was pretty stunned at the state of things.

A few articles discussing the nationwide supply situation:

In addition to that:
    1. Two LGS that I work with in WA state say that due to COVID-19, there's been a disruption in supply of both new firearms, and ammo. In some cases because OEM factories shut down. They cannot get any of the most popular calibers, and models. For instance try to get a G19 Gen5, or a case 5.56 or 9mm any brand: forget it.
    2. Beyond the local scene, I went to several of my favorite online stores for firearms and ammunition. Out of EVERYthing in the popular models and calibers, and slim pickings in calibers that I use that are less popular, such as 6.5 Grendel.

Speculation about what's driving those trends, in order of importance:
    1. COVID-19 related disruptions in supply.
    2. Increased buying due to social unrest.
    3. Early ramp-up buying anticipating left-wing election victories resulting in further gun control legislation.

Any other factors? Is it gonna' get better within 12 months *if* Trump is re-elected, or do we expect the supply situation continues indefinitely due to the OTHER factors we're facing, items 1 and 2 above?

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Local gun shop is continually packed selling about everything they can get their hands on. Talked to a couple of the fellas I know and they are saying it's to the point that it is almost impossible to get new stock in, esp shotguns and M4 style weapons. Ammo is the same situation. It goes out the door as fast as it comes in.
    Repression Is Nine Tenths The Law

Feedback Score
    Right now, it's hard to find anything: Minor accessories (grips, rail covers, etc), plate carriers, combat shirts...
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Plate carriers and plates are getting thin.

If I needed to buy a long gun for defense it would be a 12 gauge shotgun, at least ammo is available around here.

I didn't expect parts/accessories to sell out so quickly.

I don't need anything (maybe plate carrier and plates) but don't like the inconvenience of it all.

Andy

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My question; how in HELL did people not see this coming?
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    My question; how in HELL did people not see this coming?
    Funny you should say that. I had this exact conversation yesterday when I visited a local range. The owners told me there was something like 5 million first time gun buyers last month alone. Their observations are a bell weather of the shifting mindset of society. People are complacent and ignore the writing on the wall. Every new owner visiting the range says the same thing- they are scared of what’s coming. The Obama years were like a long drought- things were scarce but people managed. There were many first time gun owners but it was buying to own before the threat of bans. First timers showed up, got trained but many didn’t buy memberships or maintain their training. The start of the Trump administration was a relief- people relaxed, supply chain caught up and prices returned to normal.

To address your question- mainstream society is too concerned about getting up voted for sharing meaningless details of the boring lives and fitting in with the herd. Then COVID happened. Some new gun buyers got ahead of the tsunami but most gun & ammo sales were hoarders or flippers. Then the riots started. Suddenly every one from all walks of life showed up, wanting a firearm. Many single women are showing up seeking advice on training and guidance on proper use of force. The range cannot reliably source ammunition outside of shotgun shells. Suppliers are first come, first served. The range owners are limiting ammo sales to a boxes only, no bulk sales, knowing that they will lose more business if there is nothing on the shelves for the rookies. I saw the same thing at Sportsmans Warehouse- people bought what ever gun was on the shelf without realizing that it is useless without ammunition. The shelves are consistently bare, outside of the oddball calibers and most reloading components. I think powder is the limiting factor there.

In short, the bulk of society are sheep, waiting for the next signal for how to act. When the threat of wolves suddenly becomes real they are caught off guard and panic.
    Last edited by Co-gnARR; 07-29-20 at 08:41.

Feedback Score
    Ammo online is somewhat available, if one is willing pay an exorbitant price i.e. $600/case of 9mm or 5.56; to think that $300 for 1k of 9mm is a deal! On a local gun trader site, Glocks are selling for $700 to $1200, to me its ridiculous. However, if I were a first time buyer in need of a firearm/ammo I'd pay it without thinking twice. Abusive ? Perhaps, but it is market/supply/demand driven.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All types of firearms are available here, I've been to several shops and if I wanted a Glock, SIG, CZ, Springfield, Colt, whatever no problem. Oh wait, you want ammo with that? How many good kidneys do you have? Children maybe, arm, leg? How much do you want it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post

In short, the bulk of society are sheep, waiting for the next signal for how to act. When the threat of wolves suddenly becomes real they are caught off guard and panic.

The HERD, has two speeds, grazing (head up their ass) and Stampede! (Oh My God, Panic Everyone!!!!!)
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I come from a family and culture where guns where outlawed and anyone with a gun was a criminal. Same for tattoos....only criminals! Anyway, majority of my family is conservative. I can only think of 2 SJWs everyone else is to one degree or another conservative. Some even own a firearm or two yet they look at me like the crazy one.

You have how many guns? You have how much ammo? Why? You're to old to play make-believe! I try to explain and for the most part I nice about it but ultimately don't care what they think.

Beginning of March I start getting calls and texts.... what do you think of X or how much is is for Y ammo. Where do I buy a specific brand/caliber gun. Even my parents, who always thought I was crazy for stacking ammo and guns.....and I don't have a lot... wanted to know how guns worked and how much ammo I can lend out and if that's even ok to do so

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Yep. "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    If things really “go hot” a there will be no fed left to ban anything. If there was a shell of a fed left over it wouldn’t have the means or authority to ban anything.
    I see your point, but I don't totally agree - I think things are capable of getting MUCH hotter without the Gov. collapsing, or ceasing to [try] to enforce its edicts.
    Now, how much people adhere to what the FedGov tells them to do as things ramp up, or how energetic the FedGov wants to get about trying to enforce/control after that point will be the thing to see about.

Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    We need strong states and a weak fed. More specifically the fed should only be strong in a few areas, like immigration control. Can’t let cali kick out feds and open their border. We will quickly have more people there than rest of country combined. But feds should only do what they’re allowed in the constitution which isn’t much.
    Sure, let em have at it. As long as other states are going to capitalize on that to enforce their own opposing laws. Kali wants unending 'migrants'? Good for them; I'm gonna head over to state B where they've kicked them all out and won't let any new ones in. State A wants to ban slingshots and butter knives? I'm going to head over to State B where they repealed all fed/state bans and the NFA...
    Ideal outcome? Probably not. But plenty of opportunity for state governments with spines who aren't afraid of a twitter mob to reverse all sorts of unconstitutional and social-engineering BS.
    IF you can find a state like that, or get people into office who will...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    If somebody's that stupid they DESERVE to be separated from their money... or should have a conservator or legal guardian appointed.
    I mean... don't forget people were paying stupid money for Colt stuff just a few months ago BEFORE any panic, because it was 'rare'...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast