Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Shortages of ammunition and firearms ramping up

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Local mega gunstore (LMGS) got 75 thousand rounds of brass blazer 9mm in. Sold out in 3 days with a 2 box limit per customer at $16 per box. Been like this for a while. They normally have multiple pallets of brass Blazer out.

That store is in an old grocery store and has 7 grocery style checkout lines for guns (belt and all). Over the last month they are typically 5-6 people deep across all seven lines. Which essentially means a 9mm/40 handgun, self defense shotgun, or an AR is walking out the door every 4-5 minutes.

The demographic is hugely different. It is 15-20 minutes drive outside of metro Atlanta. On a normal day you might see some minorities in the store and they are welcome.

Now probably 50% of the traffic is minority and it's not mixed minorities. it's clearly downtown Atlanta or similar.

I understand the families or the dad you see who's buying some protection because the police are not responding in their zone. Totally understand their need / desire, I would do the same, and I hope they as gun owners become supportive of our rights.

But for every understandable situation like that there are groups of 5-10 males 18 to 25 wearing the t-shirts you would expect them to. Mostly BLM or similar.

I'm not thinking anyone should be discouraged. But I'm more scratching my head what's driving this change, is it an organized push to arm individuals for protest, or what?

These are the same people who is cleaning out the ammunition. I've watched them in groups buy multiple boxes of $50 Hornady critical defense 9 mm from a pallet. Probably because it was the only thing available in boxes of 50.

This is not fuds buying ammunition to flip at gun shows. This is not long time shooters who should have had stocks and are worried about the presidential election. This is a sea change, entirely new demographic who is angry.

I see them at the public shooting ranges in large numbers. I normally try very hard when I see a new shooter of any type to be friendly and help if needed at ranges. This new demographic does not want any of that, some look at you distrustful and sometimes won't even speak to you. (Then again some are nice enough)

For pistols a lot of times I shoot at governors gun club (original smaller location) which is very close to me, clean and well-run. They have 20 lanes. At any given time you would normally see 90% Caucasian shooters. Mostly experienced. For the last month, it's now only 25 to 30% Caucasian. With the majority clearly being first-time shooters. I do see some females of color buying self defense firearms and getting a lesson from the store. Entirely understand and respect that. Then I also see young males with an uncased AR and pockets full of magazines, droopy pants and all. (when your belt line is below your butt and pockets are full of loaded magazines how do you keep the whole mess from falling down? I have a hard time keeping a holstered pistol up!) Sat across from one for 1 for an hour wait recently. Didn't see any hugely unsafe handling, but clearly had the NFAC vibe. Uncased AR made me nervous.

So I'm kind of scratching my head. This is not a color thing, metro atl counties are 25-46% african american... I know African American hunters and sport shooters. And some they just want to defend their families.

Instead, it's the nature of the new shooters, appears to be anger thing. Urban Atlanta people in black slogan t-shirts driving a county away to shop and another county further to shoot. Is this an organized effort? Grass roots word of mouth? I do not believe it's random.
    I think many of them are scared based on media and social media junk. There are many non-Caucasians and liberals (the ones who don't realize they are commie tools) who have been fooled into thinking a Conservative Right / Christians / KKK / Fascists are going to make abortions illegal, ban gay marriages, cut their student / medical benefits, etc. That's how effective the communist propaganda has been. This type of "tools for commies" really do think they are on the defensive and are arming to be "ready".

It's way to late to change the long education (indoctrination) these people got.

We can only try to save the "savable" communities and hope to keep these existing through the eventual balkanization.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ammo prices are nutty, might be even worse than Sandy Hook levels.

Finally achieved the ability of shooting on my own property, and now I don't want to expend the ammo lol.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I get to move around when I shoot. Draw and shoot, etc.

Performance degrades the moment you leave the range. We all have to draw the line somewhere between "shoot as much as I want" to "The ammo I have now may have to last me the rest of my life, so how much should I shoot a year?"

Keep in mind 200 rounds a year is two to four times what the average cop gets. Also, the less we shoot, the more important each bullet fired in training becomes. So a good plan is necessary.
    Is this a typo? Dont tell me.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Is this a typo? Dont tell me.

PB
    My best friend's BIL is a cop in NJ. In speaking with him he openly admitted that he only shoots the qualifying course of fire, which is 60 rounds, twice a year. No range time, not practice, no training since the academy. So yeah, Ron3 isn't that far off.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    "200 rounds a year is two to four times what the average cop gets"

I am not sure how true that is, but there are a lot of small agencies that are cash strapped.

When I was a deputy, we got 50 rounds a month. Since 95% of the deputies didn't take it, the range officer would let me come down and shoot as much as I wanted.

Then in Israel, ammo was unlimited.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    "200 rounds a year is two to four times what the average cop gets"

I am not sure how true that is, but there are a lot of small agencies that are cash strapped.

When I was a deputy, we got 50 rounds a month. Since 95% of the deputies didn't take it, the range officer would let me come down and shoot as much as I wanted.

Then in Israel, the ammo was unlimited.
    This is what I heard too. Local friend / copper said the exact same thing. But they have plenty of money and even have to shoot frangible ammo which costs double. Can't remember why. Legal probably. Said it was always the same group of guys that shoot.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I get to move around when I shoot. Draw and shoot, etc.

Performance degrades the moment you leave the range. We all have to draw the line somewhere between "shoot as much as I want" to "The ammo I have now may have to last me the rest of my life, so how much should I shoot a year?"

Keep in mind 200 rounds a year is two to four times what the average cop gets. Also, the less we shoot, the more important each bullet fired in training becomes. So a good plan is necessary.
    My plan was based on 10 years of data- practice, classes, plinking, instructing newbs- How many rounds did I shoot? Then I set about creating a lifetime supply based on that number. I hadn't quite reached my goal when this started- but I will be very comfortable. And, I've been able to scramble and scrounge together quite a pile of ammo in the last 3 months here and there and most of it at reasonable prices all things considered. Add in reloading and I think I'm good. I have about 4 tons of Linotype in bars out behind the garage- that's a hell of alot of bullets, along with a couple of 5 gallon buckets of rimfire casings to make bullet jackets out of- Corbin is your friend.....
    Last edited by Esq.; 08-03-20 at 15:20.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    This is what I heard too. Local friend / copper said the exact same thing. But they have plenty of money and even have to shoot frangible ammo which costs double. Can't remember why. Legal probably. Said it was always the same group of guys that shoot.

PB
    In Texas, prison guards used to shoot 18 rounds ( 3 Cylinders of 6 ) .38's per year and then 5 rounds of buckshot- none of the later had to hit a damn thing other than the berm. Think about that, they are SURROUNDED by CONVICTED CRIMINALS EVERY DAY, ALL DAY and their skills are minimal at best.....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My experience with LE; the average officer views their firearm as something they have to carry, like a ball point pen.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    My experience with LE; the average officer views their firearm as something they have to carry, like a ball point pen.
    Very true. At my old department, most of the officers not give two shits about any of the gear they carried, gun included. In fact, anyone who did have any interest in guns or gear of any kind was considered weird to the point of where they didn't want to work with you; you would be "that guy".
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast