Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NX8 1-8 Scope

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    I was under the impression this was a discussion forum where people could ask questions and gain insights from participants, if it is not, perhaps it should just shut down and refer everyone to YouTube.

My specific question remains:

Has anyone here done a comparison specifically between the NX8 and the RAZOR HD GEN III 1-10, or, for that matter a specific comparison between the ATACR and the RAZOR III, etc.
    Scope choices are very personal, I've seen guys love one scope and other guys hate it. The other problem is that there is no perfect scope and they keep getting better all the time.

Try SuperSetCA on YT. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU3HVeaDkb8

He's been doing vids on a lot of stuff lately, they're interesting, but the only way to decide is to see them yourself.

I went to buy a high end scope and decided not to because the less expensive scopes are damn good and light weight these days and I didn't need or want 1 to 8 or 10X. So for the time being I just bought a Trijicon Creedo 1-6X. Very good scope the only downside is that its not strictly daylight bright. Which is OK for me I'm not a three gunner and do pretty well without it.

I may still buy an NX8 just because its so light and has a bright reticle, but the eyebox could be a bigger problem than the thick reticle. I'll have to take a look at one.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 10-22-20 at 19:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post

I enjoyed his comparison video of premium LPVOs.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    So, I guess the point of this thread is pretty much lost now in this. Oh well.
    No dude, it's good, no drama...
    Look at Tijicon's Credo line, I bought a 1x6 23model for light weight. Probably not as durable as a NX8, but has .1 mil adjustment, glass similar to vortex and weighs just 18.9oz and comes in around $800.
    Last edited by LMT/556; 10-23-20 at 11:31. Reason: Price

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT/556 View Post
    Look at Tijicon's Credo line, I bought a 1x6 23model for light weight. Probably not as durable as a NX8, but has .1 mil adjustment, glass similar to vortex and weighs just 18.9oz and comes in around $800.

Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT/556 View Post
    Yeah, I got the Credo 1-6 in BDC second focal plane because I don't see the need for FFP in a 1-6. In a 1-8 or 1-10 the FFP would be more useful IMHO. But with the 1-6, I'm either on 1X or 6X. And I won't use it as a precision scope. About 300-400 absolute max on steel or large targets.

But everyone has their own reasoning and its just as valid.

The Creedo 1-6 is light and appears well built. I paired it with a lightweight (5.5 OZ) Nightforce mount. It balances well on the AR I put it on, so far I like it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Yeah, I got the Credo 1-6 in BDC second focal plane because I don't see the need for FFP in a 1-6. In a 1-8 or 1-10 the FFP would be more useful IMHO. But with the 1-6, I'm either on 1X or 6X. And I won't use it as a precision scope. About 300-400 absolute max on steel or large targets.
    If the BDC had been for 77 I'd gone that route as it would work for 69 gr, 77 gr and 308. They are nice and light with good glass, and have the circle of death. Not Nightforce quality but still a nice option that also works non-illuminated.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    I have the opportunity to shoot and train a lot. Over this period of time since I started testing LPVOs I have broken nearly every single second focal plane LPVO ive used, tested and evaluated (NF NXS 1-4 is g2g). This list includes Vortex 1-6 generations (Loss of zero, wire reticle failure), kahles sm1 1-6 (erector failure), swaro 1-6 brti (erector failure), old USO 1-4 and 1-8 with their DFP dot tech (FFP etched reticles were good, dot broke every time in SFP), steiner p4xi (wire reticle failure), steiner t5xi (erector failure), sig tango (erector failure), strike eagle (moisture failure), PST 1-6 (electronics failure). I have also never broken a highend FFP LPVO. The list of FFP LPVOs that I recommend in order is the NF Atacar 1-8, NF NX8 1-8, and leupold mk6 as they have proven to be the most durable, repeatable, and quality choices on the market right now with a proven track record. I have over 5k rounds so far on a vortex 1-10 but its just too soon to add that to my list of recommended LPVOs at this time, but man is it pretty sweet. Basically it comes down to this, I always recommend high quality FFP LPVOs over SFP LPVOs due to etched reticles and more robust turrets and erectors. I will always trade a little eybox performance for more reliability, especially if that reliability also gains me weight savings and size savings in regards to the nx8.
    Wow. Maybe one day I’ll have the ammo, $$ to train that much. You sure are hard on equipment
    That’s good, You know what works. Everyone compares the eye box of the NX8 to a razor FFP to SFP you just can’t. Our snipers use the Razor II 1-6 right now and like it but it’s a govn and price and warranty come into play. And they don’t shoot 7.62 all that much Nightforce says the best warranty is making optics you don’t need a warranty for. I haven’t broken my NX8 1-8 yet
    Last edited by motorcopm4; 10-27-20 at 16:10.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Mount came in today, A496 Unimount.

To say this scope is finicky is an understatement in regards to diopter adjustment and eye relief. That is, until you get it in a mount and put it on your rifle.

Once I got the eye relief set and felt comfortable with the placement of the mount, I torqued everything to spec and did a few presentations with the rifle.

Eye relief is near perfect, diopter adjustment is excellent, the fisheye that I was experiencing is gone.

The best advice I can give someone who is a first time buyer of this particular scope; get it out of the box, set the diopter as best as you can and then get it into a mount. Night and day difference.

I’ll try to get up some pics later.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    The best advice I can give someone who is a first time buyer of this particular scope; get it out of the box, set the diopter as best as you can and then get it into a mount. Night and day difference.

I’ll try to get up some pics later.
    Sorry, are you referring to the NX8? I'm still trying to decide, but now find myself leaning toward the Nightforce.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    I was going to say that myself on the Nightforce, eyebox can only be tested when the scope is mounted on the rifle. Everyone says how tight it is they must be looking through it at a dealer out of the box.
    My NX8 seemed tight till it was mounted and on the range

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast