Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NX8 1-8 Scope

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by motorcopm4 View Post
    I usually use ADM mounts that have a thread loc like loctite on the threads. I torque then silver paint the position so I know if it moves
    Vibratite. A bit different than locktite, it seems to gum the threads up to reduce the risk of them backing out due to vibrations - not hard to undo them but they don't move on their own. I typically use this instead of locktite for optic mounts, just a drop then slightly under-torque the spec to make up for the liquid. Zero issues. I also paint pen things to be able to visually see if they are backing out at all.

There comes a point we are measuring with a micrometer and cutting with a chainsaw.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Good to know about the loctite...thanks fellas.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I had some time at the range with this scope. Some small things I don’t like; 8x I found the eye box to be tight when in the prone, not too bad off the bench, and okay while standing. I’m still messing with the diopter a little here and there. I’m trying to find a comfortable medium. I did notice some kind of double reticle on 1x with the illumination on. It was at setting 4 when I noticed it. At setting 3 it was fine.

I had no problems getting solid hits at 100 with the scope. I went into this knowing this isn’t a “precision” oriented scope.

PPU M193, IMI M193, and BH 77 grain 5.56 were used for shooting. I don’t think my rifle likes the IMI. The shots outside of center were from the last 20 rounds for the day which was the IMI. The PPU and BH ammo did okay.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Question for you experts

My scope is zeroed and ready to go.

I still think my diopter can be tweaked a bit more. There’s still a slight issue with fish eye and parallax.

Question: If I adjust the diopter, is there a chance that that adjustment can affect the zero of the scope?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    My scope is zeroed and ready to go.

I still think my diopter can be tweaked a bit more. There’s still a slight issue with fish eye and parallax.

Question: If I adjust the diopter, is there a chance that that adjustment can affect the zero of the scope?
    I’m no expert but...it won’t affect it at all. How are you setting your diopter?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I’ve done it a few different ways...

First time: I loosened everything, unscrewed diopter all the OUT until everything was blurry. Took my time to adjust until the reticle got crisp at 1x with a quick snap shot. From there I moved the mag to 4x, 6x, and 8x and repeated the process.

Second time: I loosened everything up and screwed the diopter all the way IN and repeated the above steps.

Clear, bright background, no interferences with anything.

Maybe I’m being too picky and OCD. The fisheye isn’t horrible but it is noticeable. The parallax is only noticeable at 1x but it’s minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I’m no expert but...it won’t affect it at all. How are you setting your diopter?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    I’ve done it a few different ways...
    Have you tried it this way below? This was post 29 and maybe before you got the NX8, so you may have missed it. Like I mentioned, if you plan to use this more as a red dot as opposed to a LR scope, flat 1x (no fisheye) is more important than the reticle being crisp to the n’th degree. JMO. In my experience with the NX8, getting the 1x to be flat also gives you an acceptable reticle and picture clarity (to my eyes).

For a LPVO with 1x as the bottom end, the way I do it is set the diopter so that I get as “flat” or true 1x of an image as possible when looking at different objects at 10ish yards away. I like to look at a fence line and get the top edge of it to line up going through the FOV. With my NX8, that also gave me a pretty clear picture & reticle, but you can probably tweak it from there slightly if it looks a little blurry to you.

ETA: not staring at the reticle is also an important point as mentioned above. Once I get a true 1x, I’ll tweak it if need be and get a quick sight picture to gauge the reticle clarity. This is all done on 1x btw. You can also try going to the top end mag and double checking reticle clarity there, but IMO 1x sight picture is more important with these scopes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Do you have this mounted in a +MOA mount, or zero MOA?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I will try the method you listed today.

Have you tried it this way below? This was post 29 and maybe before you got the NX8, so you may have missed it. Like I mentioned, if you plan to use this more as a red dot as opposed to a LR scope, flat 1x (no fisheye) is more important than the reticle being crisp to the n’th degree. JMO. In my experience with the NX8, getting the 1x to be flat also gives you an acceptable reticle and picture clarity (to my eyes).

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Nightforce, A496, 0 MOA mount.

Quote Originally Posted by LMT/556 View Post
    Do you have this mounted in a +MOA mount, or zero MOA?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast