Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NX8 1-8 Scope

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I adjusted mine at 6x as a compromise, and work my way out not in. Slightly off center and it changes focus (or causes reticle doubling). These scopes are super picky as a result of their compact size, an artifact of design trade-offs.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Most picky scope I’ve owned to date. My original NF 1-4 was simple and took about 15 seconds to get it perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by LMT/556 View Post
    I adjusted mine at 6x as a compromise, and work my way out not in. Slightly off center and it changes focus (or causes reticle doubling). These scopes are super picky as a result of their compact size, an artifact of design trade-offs.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It is a picky optic when it comes to diopter settings - I think some of that is people desire for 1x to be 1X, not 1.05x, these days but still its more work than my Vortex 1-6 PST II or the Razor II I owned briefly.

My first NX8 wasn't as particular, but my second was a bit more finicky. I have it tight and also paint lines to ensure I know if it moves off the mark.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    It is a picky optic when it comes to diopter settings - I think some of that is people desire for 1x to be 1X, not 1.05x, these days but still its more work than my Vortex 1-6 PST II or the Razor II I owned briefly.

My first NX8 wasn't as particular, but my second was a bit more finicky. I have it tight and also paint lines to ensure I know if it moves off the mark.
    So how do you like the NX8 compared to the razor II?

I had a Razor IIE for a bit but it was heavy and bulky so I’m attracted to the NX8.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    So how do you like the NX8 compared to the razor II?

I had a Razor IIE for a bit but it was heavy and bulky so I’m attracted to the NX8.
    The NX-8 was definitely an upgrade IMO from the Razor IIE (I also had one for a short time but replaced it with the NX-8).

Some of the 'issues' ppl have with the NX8 are overblown - yes the diopter is a bit more sensitive, but that's a set it and forget it. Yes, the eyebox isn't as good as a Razor but it's still easy to get behind. Yes, it's reticle is not designed for precision shooting at extended ranges; but it wasn't designed to. Both can be CRAZY bright, so illumination isn't an issue for either. But the Razor is bigger and heavier. I have found that not using a rear scope cap on the NX8 helps with the overall 1x picture - it isn't as 'invisible' as a Razor / PST II can be, but it's better that with a cap. I use a cheap buttler creek rear for storage and then take it off when using the rifle and a quality front cap.

I have two NX8 MOAs (one capped elevation, one un-capped) and it's my preferred LPVO. I have considered trying a Razor III, but I'm a MOA guy, so the MIL doesn't appeal and the BDC thing really doesn't work for any of the rifles I'd put it on (16"/13" 308 semis). Yeah it would give you 2 more on the high end, but I'm not a keeping up with the joneses kinda guy - my semi-precision AR-15 runs a NXS 2.5-10x24 with an RMR biggybacked on top, which is interesting now back 'en vogue' with ppl using NVDs and shooting from a heads up position. I'm going to put another RMR on top of the capped NX8, which is a Colt 6920-R Trooper.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    This scope about caused me to have an aneurism today. It almost got a free ride out the window.

With that being said, I solved my problem. Traditionally I am a NTCH shooter. Been that way since I learned to shoot these types of rifles when I joined the Army. It’s a habit that was just broken today.

I run all of my SOPMOD stocks 1 position out from being fully collapsed. Today, that changed, I now run them in the 3rd position.

The rifle went into my vice setup. I unscrewed the diopter and ring and ran the diopter all the way in. From there, on 1x, focusing at 4 different objects ranging from 7-100 yards, I began to run the diopter back out. It took about 3/4 of a turn and all was great in the world.

From there, I locked the diopter and locking ring down tight. I began traversing each target getting quick snap shot sight pictures with and without illumination. I also began checking clarity of the reticle from 1x all the way through 8x.

Ironman8: I wasn’t fully tracking in regards to what you were saying about getting the sight picture as flat as possible. That is until I had the diopter all the way in and begin adjusting out. There is a huge difference in the sight picture and reticle from when I originally started.

Absolutely happy with the outcome! Thanks to all of you guys who had input on adjusting this scope!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How do you get in the mil/le program and do you need to be active?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Good deal, glad you got it to work for you. I didn’t do the bench vice thing but maybe my NX8 wasn’t as picky. Out of curiosity, is 100% of the fisheye gone or is there a small amount left? I ask because I did notice that I have ever so slight amount left at the outermost edges, but I have to really look for it. When shooting at speed, it’s never been noticeable. I also agree with RHINOWSO, that you can’t expect these scopes to be a perfect 1x like an aimpoint. Just too many lenses and voodoo going on in there for it to act as a single lense with a dot being projected onto it.

Also, you said you went from NTCH to 3rd position out. I did this same thing years back before I ever got the NX8, but I’m curious if you had to change your eye relief when you changed your LOP? My NX8 sits about flush with the back of the charging handle and eye relief is set to middle of the range when I’m on position 3. If I were to move much further than one click either way on the stock, I would have scope shadow induced with the change in LOP and I’d have to change head position significantly. Just trying to understand how this would help/change the diopter issues you were having?
    Last edited by Ironman8; 12-20-20 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    How do you get in the mil/le program and do you need to be active?
    Apply with NightForce. Active LEO/1st Responders qualify also.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    If I search for it, I can see a very small amount of the fisheye. If I’m using the scope as intended or in the prone I cannot see it.

In regards to changing stock positions; I never moved the scope, only the stock. No shadow, no double donuts, no blur. I’ll post up a picture in a few of the current position of my scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Good deal, glad you got it to work for you. I didn’t do the bench vice thing but maybe my NX8 wasn’t as picky. Out of curiosity, is 100% of the fisheye gone or is there a small amount left? I ask because I did notice that I have ever so slight amount left at the outermost edges, but I have to really look for it. When shooting at speed, it’s never been noticeable. I also agree with RHINOWSO, that you can’t expect these scopes to be a perfect 1x like an aimpoint. Just too many lenses and voodoo going on in there for it to act as a single lense with a dot being projected onto it.

Also, you said you went from NTCH to 3rd position out. I did this same thing years back before I ever got the NX8, but I’m curious if you had to change your eye relief when you changed your LOP? My NX8 sits about flush with the back of the charging handle and eye relief is set to middle of the range when I’m on position 3. If I were to move much further than one click either way on the stock, I would have scope shadow induced with the change in LOP and I’d have to change head position significantly. Just trying to understand how this would help/change the diopter issues you were having?

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast