Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NX8 1-8 Scope

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Delamination! That’s the phrase that kept coming up.

With that being said, the Gen II HD/HD-E and Gen III all have etched reticles correct? So the delamination issue shouldn’t affect these, right?
    I believe all the Razor 1-6s (regardless of generation) have wire reticles and only the Gen III 1-10 is etched. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by rockapede; 07-29-20 at 23:00.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I have the opportunity to shoot and train a lot. Over this period of time since I started testing LPVOs I have broken nearly every single second focal plane LPVO ive used, tested and evaluated (NF NXS 1-4 is g2g). This list includes Vortex 1-6 generations (Loss of zero, wire reticle failure), kahles sm1 1-6 (erector failure), swaro 1-6 brti (erector failure), old USO 1-4 and 1-8 with their DFP dot tech (FFP etched reticles were good, dot broke every time in SFP), steiner p4xi (wire reticle failure), steiner t5xi (erector failure), sig tango (erector failure), strike eagle (moisture failure), PST 1-6 (electronics failure). I have also never broken a highend FFP LPVO. The list of FFP LPVOs that I recommend in order is the NF Atacar 1-8, NF NX8 1-8, and leupold mk6 as they have proven to be the most durable, repeatable, and quality choices on the market right now with a proven track record. I have over 5k rounds so far on a vortex 1-10 but its just too soon to add that to my list of recommended LPVOs at this time, but man is it pretty sweet. Basically it comes down to this, I always recommend high quality FFP LPVOs over SFP LPVOs due to etched reticles and more robust turrets and erectors. I will always trade a little eybox performance for more reliability, especially if that reliability also gains me weight savings and size savings in regards to the nx8.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CubeWarrior View Post
    I’m 51 and farsighted, so I use scopes everywhere to correct my vision while I shoot.

I use the NX8. Eye box only really tightens past 6x. It did take a lot of practice to get around it. Scope is a joy to shoot at 4x. I do notice the fisheye effect more when I am panning at 1x and focusing through the reticle. Fisheye and parallax are noticeable at indoor distances. With both eyes open, I don’t notice much of it except inside. Reticle is just heavy enough at 1x for me to use fast. At 8x past 400y, it starts to obscure a lot more—still fine for man sized silhouettes. I really like the reticle on my 14.5. NF kills it with the red dot. The next part is hard to describe, but the fixed parallax is more of an issue for me with the NX8 between 50 and 100y—the scope seems finicky on resolution in that range. Low weight and small size are a huge plus.

Friend of mine had the Razor 1-6, and I struggled to use the very fine crosshairs at all on the 1-6. Checked the new 1-10x at a gun shop and had the same issue at 1x. Eye boxes are easier across similar magnification ranges. Both scopes kill the NX8 on clarity, but the NX8 is more than good enough to 600y and beyond. I didn’t want to mess with my friend’s focus, but I don’t think focusing would have made using the Vortexes any easier for me. Honestly, my son’s Strike Eagle is easier for me to use at 1x than the other two scopes.

I’d only trade the NX8 for a 1-6/8x with a great dot, adjustable parallax, tree reticle, and similar form factor.
    If you didn’t focus the eyepiece it really isn’t a good representation. Typically, the Vortex Razor 1-6x is one of the easiest reticles to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Got a razor Gen II in. I’m used to red dots so will take some adjustment. FOV is great. Clarity seems pretty good. Eye box is good and it’s easy to bring up quick and pick the dot up. Objects on the edges are real blurry. Not sure if that’s normal.

Wish I could compare it to an NX8. Only other thing is I could t decide on the mount height. Got a 1.57 mount and it seems fine but I could see how a 1.93 would be nice too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    Got a razor Gen II in. I’m used to red dots so will take some adjustment. FOV is great. Clarity seems pretty good. Eye box is good and it’s easy to bring up quick and pick the dot up. Objects on the edges are real blurry. Not sure if that’s normal.

Wish I could compare it to an NX8. Only other thing is I could t decide on the mount height. Got a 1.57 mount and it seems fine but I could see how a 1.93 would be nice too.
    Are you sure you have the diopter adjusted correctly? It can have a huge impact on the flatness and clarity of the image.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
    Are you sure you have the diopter adjusted correctly? It can have a huge impact on the flatness and clarity of the image.
    Right. I don’t think I do. I’ve heard different methods on how to do that correctly. What’s the right way? Vortex says aim at a wall and adjust until the reticle is in focus. Then on the opposite end I’ve heard people say to zoom to 6x and adjust until the image is in focus. And then everything in between.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I drink NF Koolaid but also know Vortex has a great kit and both have great warranties. I went with NF, but either will tickle your fancy once it's on your gun IMHO.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Right. I don’t think I do. I’ve heard different methods on how to do that correctly. What’s the right way? Vortex says aim at a wall and adjust until the reticle is in focus. Then on the opposite end I’ve heard people say to zoom to 6x and adjust until the image is in focus. And then everything in between.
    A blank wall or the sky. But you should never stare at the reticle. Close your yes, open, is it clear instantly? No...Then adjust and repeat until instantly clear. Your eye will attempt to accommodate if you look at it for more than a few seconds and it can fatigue your eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    For a LPVO with 1x as the bottom end, the way I do it is set the diopter so that I get as “flat” or true 1x of an image as possible when looking at different objects at 10ish yards away. I like to look at a fence line and get the top edge of it to line up going through the FOV. With my NX8, that also gave me a pretty clear picture & reticle, but you can probably tweak it from there slightly if it looks a little blurry to you.

ETA: not staring at the reticle is also an important point as mentioned above. Once I get a true 1x, I’ll tweak it if need be and get a quick sight picture to gauge the reticle clarity. This is all done on 1x btw. You can also try going to the top end mag and double checking reticle clarity there, but IMO 1x sight picture is more important with these scopes.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 08-01-20 at 11:27.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ok cool. Thanks guys. I put the Vortex on my mk18 for giggles and it’s actually awesome lol. I think I’m going to leave it. I have a ln Eotech EXPS on the way that I don’t know what I’m going to do with now.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast