Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NX8 1-8 Scope

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Lots of great information here everyone, thank you!
    Last edited by davidjinks; 08-01-20 at 21:25.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    As others have said, set the scope on 1X, 10-15 yard bright object, focus diopter ring. And to echo what has been said, do not stare at the reticle for long periods while doing this. Confirm clarity/crispness on max power and make small adjustments from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    Right. I don’t think I do. I’ve heard different methods on how to do that correctly. What’s the right way? Vortex says aim at a wall and adjust until the reticle is in focus. Then on the opposite end I’ve heard people say to zoom to 6x and adjust until the image is in focus. And then everything in between.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    I was debating between the two as well. Really like the size and reticle of the NX8.

I ordered the Razor Gen II because the reports of the eye box, eye relief, and other issues with the NX8 scared me. Maybe overblown but seems to be the consensus on the internets.

I should have the Razor on Friday with the mount and I’ll play around with it and see what I think. If I hate it for some reason then it’ll get returned or sold and I’ll give the NX8 a try.
    Hey man...think you could respond to my PMs on your BCM rifle?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Bump with an update in the OP

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Slight fish eye but I haven’t gotten to adjust the diopter properly.
    Proper diopter adjustment will fix this. I (and some others) find the NX-8 adjustment critical (and kind of touchy) but once you get it right on and locked it, you will see the slight fisheye go away.

I actually mark my NX-8s with a paint sharpie so at a glance I can be sure the diopter is still set to my preference.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    As soon as my mount comes in, I will get it set correctly.

Did you find it better to go out to complete blur then work your way in?

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Proper diopter adjustment will fix this. I (and some others) find the NX-8 adjustment critical (and kind of touchy) but once you get it right on and locked it, you will see the slight fisheye go away.

I actually mark my NX-8s with a paint sharpie so at a glance I can be sure the diopter is still set to my preference.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    With a 1x optic, I focus less on the reticle focus initially and more on the whole 'view' at 1x / I.e. fisheye / etc or lack thereof.

So both eyes open, initially static (not moving the optic) with objects from 20-40 feet, then panning around to see the difference as the optic view takes over and then again as objects leave the scope FOV and back into the other eye. I've found with the NX-8, the reticle is in focus throughout this range for my eye - but there still be plenty of adjustment to getting a really good overall 1x image and as you narrow it down, very little movement can make it better or worse in the case of the NX-8.

Compared to the Razor II / PST II 1-6s, the NX-8 is more finicky to getting a good 1x with the diopter and a little movement on the ring can have a larger effect. So if you don't get the ring locked, you can find it 'not as good at the range' because it moved a bit. But once you get it nailed down & locked in, it's very good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I’m looking at the NX8 also. It’ll be going on my only one do everything AR, a 16” BCM ELW.

I was thinking of a T2 with magnifier but the NX8 seems much more versatile.

Hunting, property defense, civil unrest, etc. I live in a rural area in NW GA and in winter there is plenty of wide open visibility through the leafless trees.

Would the NX8 be appropriate for this?

I only have $1200 in the rifle and $200 for Troy BUIS so $2k for an optic sounds a little lopsided. Maybe not?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    I only have $1200 in the rifle and $200 for Troy BUIS so $2k for an optic sounds a little lopsided. Maybe not?
    Its all in what you want. I don't think it's overkill, but it depends on you and your situation. I would love a NX8 on my new ADM AR-10. I think a 1-8 would be perfect for a 16" barrel 308, but I also live in Wisconsin, where due to hills and trees, anything longer then 500yds is quite a ways for me. If I lived out west, it might be different.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Comparing this to my 2.5-10 and 1-4 NF scopes, this 1-8 is definitely more “Finicky”.

I’ll get more time on it when my mount gets here.

I would also like to suggest, anyone who is active/retired military or law enforcement, reach out to NF for their MIL/LE program. They are great people to deal with! It’s a shameless plug for NF as I get nothing in return for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    With a 1x optic, I focus less on the reticle focus initially and more on the whole 'view' at 1x / I.e. fisheye / etc or lack thereof.

So both eyes open, initially static (not moving the optic) with objects from 20-40 feet, then panning around to see the difference as the optic view takes over and then again as objects leave the scope FOV and back into the other eye. I've found with the NX-8, the reticle is in focus throughout this range for my eye - but there still be plenty of adjustment to getting a really good overall 1x image and as you narrow it down, very little movement can make it better or worse in the case of the NX-8.

Compared to the Razor II / PST II 1-6s, the NX-8 is more finicky to getting a good 1x with the diopter and a little movement on the ring can have a larger effect. So if you don't get the ring locked, you can find it 'not as good at the range' because it moved a bit. But once you get it nailed down & locked in, it's very good.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast