Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NX8 1-8 Scope

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I was just looking at a Vortex 1-10 MRAD.

My only real concern with Vortex is the quality and durability. I can deal with eye relief/box and illumination. I get that it’s a LPVO and not an RDS. I would rather spend the coin on a known “good” rather than a “maybe”. That’s not a knock on Vortex, I don’t have experience with them, but I’ve also read some not positive reviews of them in regards quality and/or crapping the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    I’d go Razor 1-6x. If I was considering the NF I’d skip that and jump all the way to the Vortex 1-10x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I’ve read the same. I’m not going into this expecting true 1x and eye relief like a T2. I understand the limitations/pros/cons of the system. I used a NF 1-4 for a long time and loved it. It got sent in to NF to have the reticle updated to a MOA crosshairs reticle. That thing was awesome! Sadly, I sold it off chasing the latest and greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    I was debating between the two as well. Really like the size and reticle of the NX8.

I ordered the Razor Gen II because the reports of the eye box, eye relief, and other issues with the NX8 scared me. Maybe overblown but seems to be the consensus on the internets.

I should have the Razor on Friday with the mount and I’ll play around with it and see what I think. If I hate it for some reason then it’ll get returned or sold and I’ll give the NX8 a try.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sounds like you want the NX8 so go with that.

As far as Vortex durability, they are being used with guys overseas with great success so not sure what else you want. Yea, NF has a better reputation for quality I suppose but still...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post

My only real concern with Vortex is the quality and durability. I can deal with eye relief/box and illumination. I get that it’s a LPVO and not an RDS. I would rather spend the coin on a known “good” rather than a “maybe”. That’s not a knock on Vortex, I don’t have experience with them, but I’ve also read some not positive reviews of them in regards quality and/or crapping the bed.
    The main issue that has cropped up from time to time with the Razor 1-6 is reticle canting/delamination. This shouldn’t be a thing with the 1-10 (which is unobtanium right now) since it’s etched instead of wire. That said, I wouldn’t (and haven’t) let it stop me from running the 1-6. It’s widely regarded as a very durable optic; there are just a metric ton of them out there, meaning the chances of finding that one that’s got an issue are higher.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I own a PST Gen 2 1-6x24. Still have it. Been on AR-15s, AR-10s, and is now on a SCAR 17, well just because they said it can take it.

I bought a Razor-E 1-6x24. It was nice but not twice as nice as the PST. I was underwhelmed, so I returned it to get the NF.

Bought the NX8 and worked it over for a year. Still liked it so I bought another.

It's really personal preference in many regards that have already been brought up in this thread. The biggest is if you must have the 'I just throw the scope in front of my face and see the reticle' need or not. Because the Razor is the winner. The NX8 isn't remotely hard to get behind, but like many other scopes in the field, it isn't a Razor and it's not as simple to get behind. That can be an adjustment if you are coming from a RDS or Razor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post

The Razor series is built like a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Delamination! That’s the phrase that kept coming up.

With that being said, the Gen II HD/HD-E and Gen III all have etched reticles correct? So the delamination issue shouldn’t affect these, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
    The main issue that has cropped up from time to time with the Razor 1-6 is reticle canting/delamination. This shouldn’t be a thing with the 1-10 (which is unobtanium right now) since it’s etched instead of wire. That said, I wouldn’t (and haven’t) let it stop me from running the 1-6. It’s widely regarded as a very durable optic; there are just a metric ton of them out there, meaning the chances of finding that one that’s got an issue are higher.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I had a Razor but replaced it with the NX8. The glass, dot and field of vie in the razor are awesome, but the weight threw the balance off on my carbine. The NX8 is significantly lighter and smaller . On 1x it reminds me of an aimpoint micro with a big dot. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s anywhere as forgiving as a micro, but I shoot with both eyes open so it is similar field of view wise. The NX8 has super smooth controls and I really like the reticle. I have it on my 14.5” Noveske. It’s perfect for a 16” or small gun IMHO.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I’ll boil it down pretty simply. If you actually train with your gear, then the NX8 eyebox is a non-issue. Yes, the Razor/PST looks nicer and has a better eyebox, but I’ve run drills head to head and there was virtually no difference between the two.

If what I said above doesn’t scare you away from the NX8, then you also get (IMO) a more durable scope (at least in track record by each company) in a much smaller/lighter platform...with the benefit of a reticle that is very easy to pick up without illumination (better than the Vortex). IMO, it doesn’t get much better for a 5.56 platform.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 07-29-20 at 18:31.

Feedback Score
    I’m 51 and farsighted, so I use scopes everywhere to correct my vision while I shoot.

I use the NX8. Eye box only really tightens past 6x. It did take a lot of practice to get around it. Scope is a joy to shoot at 4x. I do notice the fisheye effect more when I am panning at 1x and focusing through the reticle. Fisheye and parallax are noticeable at indoor distances. With both eyes open, I don’t notice much of it except inside. Reticle is just heavy enough at 1x for me to use fast. At 8x past 400y, it starts to obscure a lot more—still fine for man sized silhouettes. I really like the reticle on my 14.5. NF kills it with the red dot. The next part is hard to describe, but the fixed parallax is more of an issue for me with the NX8 between 50 and 100y—the scope seems finicky on resolution in that range. Low weight and small size are a huge plus.

Friend of mine had the Razor 1-6, and I struggled to use the very fine crosshairs at all on the 1-6. Checked the new 1-10x at a gun shop and had the same issue at 1x. Eye boxes are easier across similar magnification ranges. Both scopes kill the NX8 on clarity, but the NX8 is more than good enough to 600y and beyond. I didn’t want to mess with my friend’s focus, but I don’t think focusing would have made using the Vortexes any easier for me. Honestly, my son’s Strike Eagle is easier for me to use at 1x than the other two scopes.

I’d only trade the NX8 for a 1-6/8x with a great dot, adjustable parallax, tree reticle, and similar form factor.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast