Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spray paint over factory Cerakote finish

Feedback Score

Spray paint over factory Cerakote finish

Hi all,

I've recently acquired a DDM4V7 with the factory Cerakote finish. I picked up the rifle with this finish since it was the only one in stock at the time. I'm not particularly fond of the bronze hue of the finish (I believe it's their Mil-Spec+ color), and I would like to apply a rattlecan spray paint job over the rifle. However, after some cursory searching, it appears that most spray paints do not seem to adhere well to Cerakote.

Does anyone here have any insight or experience on spray painting over Cerakote? Which type would work the best, i.e. enamel vs epoxy vs acrylic? Are there any recommended brands? Common recommendations include Krylon, Aluma-Hyde II, but I haven't found much results from people applying them over Cerakote. I understand that proper degreasing is necessary for any kind of finish to stick, but I would rather not damage or sand the factory finish in order to preserve its protective properties. I know that a rattle can spray paint job tends to wear through hard use, but having it wear off unduly quickly is also undesirable.

EDIT: I ended up using Aluma-Hyde II, although I do wish the colors have more contrast.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by icyplanetnhc; 05-06-23 at 21:05.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just try it, and if the spray paint doesn't work the way you want it too; just use citristrip or aircraft cleaner to remove it.

EDIT: the only brands of spray paint I use is krylon or rusteloeum. I like the colors I can get Rust Satin in. Krylon only seems to have the most basic of hues. Spray painting guns is very much an art, and takes a lot of practice to get good at, but over thinking it in the beginning won't make the results any better. I have sprayed over a dozen guns at this point. In fact I have one rifle that has probably been painted 6 times.

Here's a good video that covers many of the nuances of painting a rifle:

https://youtu.be/YDgD4d-552o

Here's how you slam bam thank you ma'm:

https://youtu.be/YUBGq9Xz_Jc
    Last edited by turnburglar; 07-29-20 at 14:02.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Nothing in a spray can is going to be very durable. Why not have it cerakoted the color you want?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Krylon and Aervoe both work fairly well over cerakote. As long as you apply a matte clear coat finish to it afterward it should hold up for a while; and, when it wears off it's not difficult to touch it up.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    Krylon and Aervoe both work fairly well over cerakote. As long as you apply a matte clear coat finish to it afterward it should hold up for a while; and, when it wears off it's not difficult to touch it up.
    The clear is essential as Cerakote is not a good primer haha. Spray paint adheres poorly to cerakote and in most instances I can scrape it off with a fingernail. A clear helps with durability
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Strip parts and send it off for a pro “re-cera” if it’s a “keeper”
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    This rifle is definitely a keeper, and re-Cerakote is an option, but it's an expensive one especially for aesthetic purposes, which is why I'm inquiring about cheaper DIY rattlecans that may adhere to the existing factory Cerakote. The factory Cerakote finish was not my preferred color, but at the time it was the only model in stock at the local shop.

Aside from that, I feel that a DIY rattlecan finish adds more personal character. Below is what the rifle currently looks like. The optic mount in particular sticks out like a sore thumb.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by icyplanetnhc; 07-29-20 at 20:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Would painting the optic mount and light work? I kinda like the color.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You can get a lot of mileage out of painting just the furniture.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by icyplanetnhc View Post
    This rifle is definitely a keeper, and re-Cerakote is an option, but it's an expensive one especially for aesthetic purposes, which is why I'm inquiring about cheaper DIY rattlecans that may adhere to the existing factory Cerakote. The factory Cerakote finish was not my preferred color, but at the time it was the only model in stock at the local shop.

Aside from that, I feel that a DIY rattlecan finish adds more personal character. Below is what the rifle currently looks like. The optic mount in particular sticks out like a sore thumb.

I dig that brown...

Rough it wish sandpaper??
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast