Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spray paint over factory Cerakote finish

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by icyplanetnhc View Post
    The color of the carpet somewhat affects the perspective of the finish's color, here it is against a white wall background. I'm personally more fond of a lighter shade of coyote tan, but I suppose the bronze/brown color is acceptable. The best approach may be to rattlecan the furniture and see how that turns out. I must say, I'm still not fond of the optic mount's contrast with the rifle's brown color, but I hesitate to spray paint that piece due to not wanting to mess up the precise tolerances of the machining.

Color looks even more badass...

Sounds like you just need to sell it and go black
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    Color looks even more badass...

Sounds like you just need to sell it and go black
    No, this rifle is a keeper. To be fair, a black optic mount would perhaps better fit a bronze/black two-tone theme (minus the Scout Light).
    Last edited by icyplanetnhc; 08-05-20 at 12:12.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Why not spend your money on a quality light mount and tape switch so your light isn't 6 inches back on your rail? Color combos are much less important than massive barrel and rail shadow....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hi all,

I've recently acquired a DDM4V7 with the factory Cerakote finish. I picked up the rifle with this finish since it was the only one in stock at the time. I'm not particularly fond of the bronze hue of the finish (I believe it's their Mil-Spec+ color), and I would like to apply a rattlecan spray paint job over the rifle. However, after some cursory searching, it appears that most spray paints do not seem to adhere well to Cerakote.

Does anyone here have any insight or experience on spray painting over Cerakote? Which type would work the best, i.e. enamel vs epoxy vs acrylic? Are there any recommended brands? Common recommendations include Krylon, Aluma-Hyde II, but I haven't found much results from people applying them over Cerakote. I understand that proper degreasing is necessary for any kind of finish to stick, but I would rather not damage or sand the factory finish in order to preserve its protective properties. I know that a rattle can spray paint job tends to wear through hard use, but having it wear off unduly quickly is also undesirable.
    Its fine.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The color of the carpet somewhat affects the perspective of the finish's color, here it is against a white wall background. I'm personally more fond of a lighter shade of coyote tan, but I suppose the bronze/brown color is acceptable. The best approach may be to rattlecan the furniture and see how that turns out. I must say, I'm still not fond of the optic mount's contrast with the rifle's brown color, but I hesitate to spray paint that piece due to not wanting to mess up the precise tolerances of the machining.

Fix the light position, then spray some accent colors on it and you will be doing great! The color it is should make for a great base color.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    DD brown (Mil Spec + I think is what they call it) with a Vortex razor is a perfect color combo in my opinion. I have a black G mount though on mine.

Feedback Score
    Fine rifle, OP. Nothing wrong with spraying over cerakote so far as I know. As previously mentioned, the light looks a little far back on your rail. Moving it closer to the muzzle should cut back on barrel shadow.

How’s it shooting for you?

Feedback Score
    Rifle is fine. If you still wanna rattle it, spray paint isn't going to hurt anything. You can spray the Geissele mounts, etc no problem.

Feedback Score
    I've bought a Surefire SR07 remote switch that would allow me to move the light just in front of the rail. I'm not a very large person, so the light positioning was such that I am able to thumb the current end cap switch while thumb-over-bore gripping (or C-grip) the rifle. The LPVO mount is actually a Badger Ordnance Condition One mount at lower 1/3 cowitness height.

The rifle itself shoots very well, and with the Recce setup, it serves as my do-it-all weapon. The only additions left are an offset red dot sight and PEQ-15 once I save some additional funds, although admittedly, the latter is mainly for fun.
    Last edited by icyplanetnhc; 08-04-20 at 08:58.

Feedback Score
    I ended up using Aluma-Hyde II, although I do wish the colors have more contrast.

I’m able to achieve 5-shot groups of around 0.7” extreme spread using the 69gr FGMM. Please excuse the un-zeroed optic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by icyplanetnhc; 07-09-22 at 07:26.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast