Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: So will Teachers strike ?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Apparently, Georgia had a "die in" today where the students protested going back to college.

The most asked question was "why don't you just not enroll?"
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My daughter-in-law is a teacher. Today was her first day of meetings for this school year. She says it was a total cluster and the leadership failure at the administrative level is compounded now by these current challenges. She's only in her second year of teaching and I only give her five more years before she quits. She works in our business in the summers and I can tell that she is slowly coming around to the fact that making decisions for yourself is far more enjoyable than participating in the craziness that is a public school system.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Silver lining - we won't have to care about teachers spending their own money for school supplies for a semester. Of course, the same parents who put their kids' education after fast food, cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs are effectively the teacher's aides now.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Silver lining - we won't have to care about teachers spending their own money for school supplies for a semester. Of course, the same parents who put their kids' education after fast food, cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs are effectively the teacher's aides now.

Andy
    A lot of good people are going to have difficulty with this.
    The learning curve should have been overcome by now, but I am willing to bet it hasn't in many cases.
    The very people setting the standard have essentially abdicated all responsibility, so it's up to the parents now.
    I would be very concerned that your local school board doesn't have a plan worked out after having 9 months to come up with contingencies.
    Some sort of Private institution with more money coming out of pocket seems the only way if you truly value your kids education.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Some sort of Private institution with more money coming out of pocket seems the only way if you truly value your kids education.
    NC private school tuition (per child, average $9,755): https://www.privateschoolreview.com/...north-carolina

Our fall 2020 homeschool expenses for 4 kids: $400

Our savings $38,000.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    NC private school tuition (per child, average $9,755): https://www.privateschoolreview.com/...north-carolina

Our fall 2020 homeschool expenses for 4 kids: $400

Our savings $38,000.
    There are a few single parents who have to work full time that, that scenario just won't work for though.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    There are a few single parents who have to work full time that, that scenario just won't work for though.
    If they are single parents, then how will private tuition work? Or, why could they not do HS at night? Or during the weekend? (Provided childcare is cheaper).

Granted homeschool may not work for everyone, but for most people who claim it won't work, it's because they just don't want it to work.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My wife isn’t striking, infact she was chomping at the bit to get back into the classroom and they started back yesterday. She works at a small private school, our children go to the same school. They have implemented mandatory masks and social distancing standards. Her administration has stated multiple times that the current guidelines are serious and they will enforce them. The administration is nervous because public school has been delayed until September and “all eyes are on them”.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    The exception doesn’t prove the rule. Imagine a community that focused on helping find solutions for the exceptions than just accept the damaging status quo for all. We’ve normalized the govt assistance of public education. And that is what must be examined. Communities find better solutions than bureaucrats, if we are willing to put in the work.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    My wife isn’t striking, infact she was chomping at the bit to get back into the classroom and they started back yesterday. She works at a small private school, our children go to the same school. They have implemented mandatory masks and social distancing standards. Her administration has stated multiple times that the current guidelines are serious and they will enforce them. The administration is nervous because public school has been delayed until September and “all eyes are on them”.
    Sounds like Normandy. I hope they succeed.

Seriously, someone has to start taking the lead. The perpetual hot potato for various interests is cowardice in disguise.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    A lot of good people are going to have difficulty with this.
    The learning curve should have been overcome by now, but I am willing to bet it hasn't in many cases.
    The very people setting the standard have essentially abdicated all responsibility, so it's up to the parents now.
    I would be very concerned that your local school board doesn't have a plan worked out after having 9 months to come up with contingencies.
    Private schooling is far too expensive for the majority of people without a voucher equal in value to the public school expense per child.

The public teacher's union and the public school adminitators have had a choke hold on the US parents long enough. I feel that both (as institutions) have openly thrown the kids under the bus to support the Democratic party. I also feel that they have overplayed their hand and have created an opportunity for change.

We, the public, have poured ridiculous and ever increasing sums of money into public schools while the metrics show our country's quality of education slipping away.

A voucher system would at least force change through competition, relieve overcrowded schools, and give teachers (who overwhelmingly got into teaching to help kids learn) the opportunity to shine.

In one year we went from year round school lunches and care packages of food being necessary to keep school kids from starving to death and federally funded after school activities being required for minority children to understand their cultures and improve their educational opportunities to "oh, the kids will dutifully sit in front of a computer all day and learn or we will all die."

How many of those teachers who fear instant death if they cross the threshold of a classroom are out demonstrating and shouting in crowds?

Andy

P.S. The majority of teachers are not callous or ignorant of the effect virtual schooling will have. Unfortunately, the minority who are protesting it are drowned out by the sheep they work with.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast