Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: So will Teachers strike ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Our stipulation for college is that they have to live at home and commute. We have three options within 40 miles: Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, and NC State. State is generally more conservative, but not by much. My second oldest is doing his gen ed at the local community college and will transfer to one of those three (at 15 scored well enough on the ACT to go anywhere). He's extremely conservative, but he is mouthy. We're working on that. I can absolutely see him getting in trouble.
    Lol, describes my youngest to a TEE- smart, conservative, irreverent and MOUTHY as Hell!

There's "trouble" and then theirs TROUBLE. I was proud of my oldest for standing up for what he believed in and we would have backed him until our guts fell out! We contacted a national conservative think tank known for suing schools over Campus Free Speech issues etc....right away and they were willing to take the case. The University blinked.....

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/28/us/un...rnd/index.html
    Last edited by Esq.; 08-13-20 at 09:03.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Lol, describes my youngest to a TEE- smart, conservative, irreverent and MOUTHY as Hell!

There's "trouble" and then theirs TROUBLE. I was proud of my oldest for standing up for what he believed in and we would have backed him until our guts fell out! We contacted a national conservative think tank known for suing schools over Campus Free Speech issues etc....right away and they were willing to take the case. The University blinked.....

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/28/us/un...rnd/index.html
    I just read that article, that is awesome! Talk about logic and emotion butting heads....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I abhor the public education industry. But I like to think I can separate that from the teachers, and I try to not throw the baby out with the bath water. A million threads ago you compared the "bad teachers" (my words) with "bad cops" as a fraction of the profession. I think that is largely true; but I think that fraction makes the most noise and garners the most attention.
    I also abhor the education industry. We spend more money in the US on education than any nation in the world. A lot of it has to go to companies leaching off the industry.

I’m not going to sit around and complain about not getting paid enough. I do recognize that I work about 185 days a year. Most of you working stiffs do about 260, that’s a 30% difference. I work 30% less time than a professional with a similar education and probably make 30% less money. However, if adjusted for inflation teacher salaries in my state have been steadily declining since the 90s. I don’t have the exact figures but it is really significant.

Where is all the money going? I would suggest teacher quality is declining because it is getting harder and harder to attract people into the profession. There is hard data on this. I anticipate a the teacher shortage crisis to only get worse.

BTW, for me to teach Spanish here is what I need: whiteboard, laser pointer and a classroom. No expensive textbooks are need nor costly tech. I am the textbook. I create 95% of all my materials.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    In Texas they have been ordered back to classrooms. If they strike, don't show etc...they will probably get fired. There is already a strong Voucher movement in the state, teachers f Around on this and people will DEMAND that they be given the money and put in charge of their kids education. Kids will be schooled online, at small private and religious schools etc....Teachers better figure this out quick.
    Funny thing. Up here in OK a few of the school boards have talked about the whole "virtual" environment being "necessary for the safety of the children" and was supported by a lot of teachers. Same thing happened with a couple of the collegiate institutions as well.

Until they were reminded that virtual environment teaching requires less teachers and jobs would probably be lost as a result. They suddenly stopped pushing so hard on it.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    In Texas they have been ordered back to classrooms. If they strike, don't show etc...they will probably get fired. There is already a strong Voucher movement in the state, teachers f Around on this and people will DEMAND that they be given the money and put in charge of their kids education. Kids will be schooled online, at small private and religious schools etc....Teachers better figure this out quick.
    I’ve been in Tx schools for over 30 years, and fully support this, as long as everyone who gets public money adheres to the same rules (especially regarding issues surrounding expulsion- charter schools and private school can and do run off the disruptive students, public schools can’t) and these kids are not there for the education, and they know there is little the districts can do about it. We have some of 5he best teachers money can buy, and they quit because no one controls the kids.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I’ve never been sure why I see public school people complaining that private schools don’t have to take the “bad kids.” Limited first hand observation and strong second hand confirmation was that the worst kids got kicked out of the public schools and put into the local Catholic schools.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I’ve never been sure why I see public school people complaining that private schools don’t have to take the “bad kids.” Limited first hand observation and strong second hand confirmation was that the worst kids got kicked out of the public schools and put into the local Catholic schools.
    Here in my little Central Texas town they use a thing called "in School Suspension" that way the trouble makers are shoved out in a trailer behind the school for 'X" amount of days and all work must be completed so the tactic is to wait until the last minute, then dump a couple of weeks worth of assignments to keep them in ISS another week or so.
    When I taught I refused to call it ISS and instead refereed to it as "FFA" Future Felons of America. Literally you can look at the ISS kids to graduate to Huntsville Prison and that is No exaggeration. Graduation to Prison in four years or less.
    Do they need the money so much that they are willing to ruin everyone else's education by warehousing these miscreants until they are forced through the system?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Here in my little Central Texas town they use a thing called "in School Suspension" that way the trouble makers are shoved out in a trailer behind the school for 'X" amount of days and all work must be completed so the tactic is to wait until the last minute, then dump a couple of weeks worth of assignments to keep them in ISS another week or so.
    When I taught I refused to call it ISS and instead refereed to it as "FFA" Future Felons of America. Literally you can look at the ISS kids to graduate to Huntsville Prison and that is No exaggeration. Graduation to Prison in four years or less.
    Do they need the money so much that they are willing to ruin everyone else's education by warehousing these miscreants until they are forced through the system?
    Yes to the money- and yes to the lawyers that keep the FFA in school because they are "handicapped" (BTW- guess who pays for the parent's lawyers to keep the special snowflake in school?).
    I am so glad to be at the point of retirement.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
    Yes to the money- and yes to the lawyers that keep the FFA in school because they are "handicapped" (BTW- guess who pays for the parent's lawyers to keep the special snowflake in school?).
    I am so glad to be at the point of retirement.
    It’s fun to listen to the veteran teachers and administrators talk about how teaching used to be 25-30 years ago. Seemed like teaching was quite an enjoyable profession in comparison. I really don’t know any better. I started teaching in 2007. Things were already nutty.

The FFAs are really toxic to the learning environment and unfortunately, ISS is the only reasonable solution in the current system, but it is not in the best solution for anybody, especially for the troubled student. If we could “take the gloves off” and really deal with these kids like men, we could really turn lives around. All the red tape meant to protect children is a two edge sword that creates the future felons.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Our schools are virtual and we weren't risking the kids on the zero plan in our area. Next county over opened was on the national news and is now shut down and virtual while everyone quarantines. Religious private schools went back this week and will be closed down by the end of next week I would think.

Parents are still sending their kids to school sick or while they await the results of a Covid test......DUH. Not the time to pump your kid with advil to get the fever down and send them to school.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast