Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: So will Teachers strike ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    And your sources are?
    I did post some data to support my position on some things I was challenged on earlier. What would you like to see?

I am willing to concede I am wrong. Perhaps far more public school teachers are worthless/public schools are absolute failures as is the general consensus here on this thread than I had originally thought.

Honestly, I was blindsided by all the hating on teachers by the members of this forum. It is quite disconcerting. I can certainly empathize with police officers who have been the public whipping boys of left wing media outlets.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold/Bore View Post
    Please don’t treat me like a straw man. I said I don’t watch TV. I never said I don’t keep up with current events.

I did not ask for sources, I asked for data. For example, could you cite some polls or studies that show that “x% of the nation’s public teacher say that they want to strike because of Covid 19.”

My bottom line is, in my opinion, reality does not align with what is being portrayed in the news.
    No straw man. Great you don't watch TV, you are probably better off for it. The links I provided were from major online news publications, not TV segments. You don't need data or polls when there are articles stating that teachers unions are threatening to strike. If the union calls for a strike there is a very good chance that the majority of it's members will abide. History tells us that.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    I have 5-6 teachers with medical issues that are allowed to work from home. Coincidentally they are also my weakest teachers. 25 others are back on campus, getting set up for virtual learning, which for the 1st 3 weeks of school, is all we can do. The at home teachers can’t do case management for the Spec Ed kids, so my teachers who are coming too school have to pick up their slack. When all this crap is over, my home based useless teachers come back after whatever time paid Vacation, and the teachers who are humping it will be exhausted for carrying their load. I lose more good staff 5his way, can’t get rid of the crap.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
    I have 5-6 teachers with medical issues that are allowed to work from home. Coincidentally they are also my weakest teachers. 25 others are back on campus, getting set up for virtual learning, which for the 1st 3 weeks of school, is all we can do. The at home teachers can’t do case management for the Spec Ed kids, so my teachers who are coming too school have to pick up their slack. When all this crap is over, my home based useless teachers come back after whatever time paid Vacation, and the teachers who are humping it will be exhausted for carrying their load. I lose more good staff 5his way, can’t get rid of the crap.
    That’s rough. You must be admin. I’ve always been curious at what exactly it would take to get rid of a bad teacher. In my State we no longer have tenure, but I don’t see the new system taking care of the riffraff.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    https://www.westernjournal.com/teach...hiding/http://
    We know at least one teacher is bothered by virtual learning, as classroom activities conducted online now can bring unexpected or unwanted audience members, some of whom are parents.
    In one volley of Twitter posts, Matthew R. Kay, a teacher at the Science Leadership Academy, a magnet public high school in Philadelphia, demonstrated why so many parents have reservations about sending their children to schools.
    “So, this fall, virtual class discussions will have many potential spectators – parents, siblings, etc. – in the same room. We’ll never be quite sure who is overhearing the discourse. What does this do for our equity/inclusion work?” Kay wrote on Twitter.
    “How much have students depended on the (somewhat) secure barriers of our physical classrooms to encourage vulnerability? How many of us have installed some version of “what happens here stays here” to help this?” he continued.
    “While conversations about race are in my wheelhouse, and remain a concern in this no-walls environment – I am most intrigued by the damage that ‘helicopter/snowplow’ parents can do in honest conversations about gender/sexuality…”
    “And while ‘conservative’ parents are my chief concern – I know that the damage can come from the left too. If we are engaged in the messy work of destabilizing a kids racism or homophobia or transphobia – how much do we want their classmates’ parents piling on?” he concluded.
    A biography for Kay describes him as a “proud product of Philadelphia’s public schools and a founding teacher at Science Leadership Academy.” Kay also speaks to middle and high school students and “deeply believes in the importance of earnest and mindful classroom conversations about race.”
    For some reason that link went to a completely different article.
    I had to search for the article, so here is the link to the tweets from the article just in case it happens to anyone else;
    https://archive.fo/Vgww5#selection-4115.168-4115.202

In case that disappears, here's a decent video overview of the actual tweets screenshotted.
    Although there was also an interesting bit of commentary in there about how, absent the influence of the school system, some kids who had "transitioned" (genders) were over it and back to normal.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/d5W7UcQre4k/

On the same topic of school brainwashing and schools/teachers promoting leftist ideas in their 'curriculum', Sargon had a good overview of the BLM school documents that got leaked, if nobody here has heard of that yet.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/jyRjbK-yKSk/

Reading an article like this, even though it says “we know of at least one teacher...” I can understand why people get the impression that 90% of teachers are left wing nut jobs.

I can give you an example of at least one colleague who swings left who things the whole gender fluidity issue is bunk. Is that enough to counteract this example and restore your faith in our public school teachers. Probably not. The MSM carries so much weight, even though we’re seeing such a small sample size.

I don’t necessarily want to downplay any of you personal experiences but I’m not seeing any legitimate data being posted by those skeptical of public school teachers to warrant their feelings of mistrust. Sample sizes of one like in this case don’t warrant throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    Fair enough. But maybe instead read that as "we know of at least one teacher...who mis-spoke and let the mask slip today..."

I can't claim to be an expert on this, but after watching this topic for years along with everything else, I've seen the increasing promotion of ideas like 'all teachers must be activists' and occasionally seeing screenshots people have taken of textbook content, news stories from various sites covering (and often lauding) the amazingly loony actions/ideas of some teachers, among other past stories/events. I also know a few people who are teachers; one who is just an "average middle of the road" type, one sort of center/right, and another who jumped off the cliff with the rest of the lefties. So I mean, I get your idea of it being a bit more of a mixed bag than news stories alone would seem to portray.
    I think they may have gotten toasted on an old hard drive, but I used to save news articles here and there about this stuff, and it went back a few years. I will try to find the file and post a couple of the old stories, if I can.
    But I guess my counter-point is, take the continuous news reports going back years, textbook leaks, and personal experiences over several years and multiply that by current events, and you can make a pretty solid guesstimate of what's going on. The 'legitimate data' IS out there, it's just in a lot smaller pieces and a lot less noticed because it's not "big news" unless it's something really crazy like these tweets.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In Texas they have been ordered back to classrooms. If they strike, don't show etc...they will probably get fired. There is already a strong Voucher movement in the state, teachers f Around on this and people will DEMAND that they be given the money and put in charge of their kids education. Kids will be schooled online, at small private and religious schools etc....Teachers better figure this out quick.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
    I’m convinced work from home Tehe-teach is the new government equivalent of teleworking... and an absolute scam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Honestly, I was blindsided by all the hating on teachers by the members of this forum. It is quite disconcerting. I can certainly empathize with police officers who have been the public whipping boys of left wing media outlets.
    I abhor the public education industry. But I like to think I can separate that from the teachers, and I try to not throw the baby out with the bath water. A million threads ago you compared the "bad teachers" (my words) with "bad cops" as a fraction of the profession. I think that is largely true; but I think that fraction makes the most noise and garners the most attention.

"Back in my day" I don't recall having any teachers pushing any specific agenda (or being punitive for any students' agenda). In college I had a couple, but there was a line they never crossed. I had some bad teachers; I mean, they just could not teach. And I had some exceptional teacher, inspiring and motivating. We homeschool, but my second oldest is now in college, and he has definitely had teachers pushing specific agendas.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I abhor the public education industry. But I like to think I can separate that from the teachers, and I try to not throw the baby out with the bath water. A million threads ago you compared the "bad teachers" (my words) with "bad cops" as a fraction of the profession. I think that is largely true; but I think that fraction makes the most noise and garners the most attention.

"Back in my day" I don't recall having any teachers pushing any specific agenda (or being punitive for any students' agenda). In college I had a couple, but there was a line they never crossed. I had some bad teachers; I mean, they just could not teach. And I had some exceptional teacher, inspiring and motivating. We homeschool, but my second oldest is now in college, and he has definitely had teachers pushing specific agendas.
    I have two sons in college right now and there is no question that there are agenda driven "teachers". Since both of my sons had a private, religious school, k-5 experience and attended very conservative Middle and High Schools, along with involved parents etc... they see it for what it is.

My oldest was absolutely dead set on going to the most Liberal Public University in the state, we went round and round about it as he could have gone pretty much anywhere. He graduated from there in 3 years and if anything, it strengthened his convictions but it could have gone the other way. He got in trouble his Freshman year and nearly got disciplined by the University for a Young Conservatives bake sale that made Headlines in USA TODAY, proud of him. Would have sued the ever loving shit out of them and had National Think Tank Lawyers lined up to do it....which, I think they knew and let it slide for that very reason....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    I have two sons in college right now and there is no question that there are agenda driven "teachers". Since both of my sons had a private, religious school, k-5 experience and attended very conservative Middle and High Schools, along with involved parents etc... they see it for what it is.

My oldest was absolutely dead set on going to the most Liberal Public University in the state, we went round and round about it as he could have gone pretty much anywhere. He graduated from there in 3 years and if anything, it strengthened his convictions but it could have gone the other way. He got in trouble his Freshman year and nearly got disciplined by the University for a Young Conservatives bake sale that made Headlines in USA TODAY, proud of him. Would have sued the ever loving shit out of them and had National Think Tank Lawyers lined up to do it....which, I think they knew and let it slide for that very reason....
    Our stipulation for college is that they have to live at home and commute. We have three options within 40 miles: Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, and NC State. State is generally more conservative, but not by much. My second oldest is doing his gen ed at the local community college and will transfer to one of those three (at 15 scored well enough on the ACT to go anywhere). He's extremely conservative, but he is mouthy. We're working on that. I can absolutely see him getting in trouble.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast