Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: So will Teachers strike ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold/Bore View Post
    It’s fun to listen to the veteran teachers and administrators talk about how teaching used to be 25-30 years ago. Seemed like teaching was quite an enjoyable profession in comparison. I really don’t know any better. I started teaching in 2007. Things were already nutty.

The FFAs are really toxic to the learning environment and unfortunately, ISS is the only reasonable solution in the current system, but it is not in the best solution for anybody, especially for the troubled student. If we could “take the gloves off” and really deal with these kids like men, we could really turn lives around. All the red tape meant to protect children is a two edge sword that creates the future felons.
    One of my kids was killed this week- long history of discipline issues, attendance, no grades. Him and his buddy, who is still alive, but will be getting coloring books for All future Xmas, Stuck their noses in someone’s business and got lit up. Every single crappy poor black Cultural stereotype was in play. I knew these kids in third grade, and knew then they were done for. 15-16 years old, learning the real hard way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
    One of my kids was killed this week- long history of discipline issues, attendance, no grades. Him and his buddy, who is still alive, but will be getting coloring books for All future Xmas, Stuck their noses in someone’s business and got lit up. Every single crappy poor black Cultural stereotype was in play. I knew these kids in third grade, and knew then they were done for. 15-16 years old, learning the real hard way.
    So sorry to hear that. I’ve lost 2 kids over the course of my professional career. Desmond was a great kid. Both parents were military. But, he was hanging out with with José, one of the worst kids I’ve ever had to deal with. In the park late at night, and José got them involved with the wrong people and Desmond got gunned down. José is now in jail (for other crimes).

I wish we could have gotten rid of José long before he could make friends with Desmond. Toxic students don’t just bring student achievement down.

The other kid was playing Russian roulette with his daddy’s revolver. Think he had issues with depression, but otherwise a nice kid.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Exclamation

Da' Union can't AFFORD to have kids being homeschooled, learning REAL science, REAL math, REAL history and the like - it'd be the end of the MIS-ejumakayshun monopoly!!!

Frankie, Tic-Tac, Three Fingers Vinnie and Rocco will get out there, and keep dem teachers IN-LINE...

- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    I'm not a teacher in the Elem-HS category, and no longer have any children in a public school system, so no 'dog in this fight'. My wife is friendly with 3 teachers in our community. Two are elementary, the third is a middle school instructor. Granted a small sample, but the attitude most likely is quite prevalent. None wish to return to school. They all cite CoVid concerns, for themselves, not the students. I commented that workers at the local supermarket, Target, Walmart, Home Depot, auto dealerships, Urgent care centers, etc are all in daily contact with a larger number and greater variety of people, without issue, they had no counter to my comments. They are basically enjoying staying home doing the absolute minimal online contact with students while continuing to get full pay and benefits. Essentially just abusing the 'system' at taxpayer expense. My neice has two young elementary school age children who attend private school, same situation, they removed them and placed them in the public school; why bother paying 25-30k /yr for bs online 'teaching' without the benefits of in house instruction and the after school sporting and social events.
    Let the teachers strike, let them stay home, let them be replaced entirely by specific home school specialized instructors. The hidden 'benefit' of covid may be bringing to light a revision of the education system and the elimination of a great number of indolent, ineffectual, 'teachurs'.
    Last edited by Evel Baldgui; 08-15-20 at 13:27.

Feedback Score
    Grandmother was a HS teacher in a city near here for many, many years. Learned quite a bit listening to her stories as I was growing up.

One story in particular that she had told us many times over the years barely made it into the news here recently and then talk of it seemed to quickly go away. School system caught passing kids that didn't really pass or do any of the work.

The way granny explained it years ago was that if she had to fail more than a certain number of kids for simply refusing to even try to do any of the work at all she would get a call to the principals office and chewed out about how she can't do that or else she is getting canned. Granny swore up and down that it was all about the money. (the school system not getting paid for failure)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    http://https://news.trust.org/item/20200815014105-o3yue
    An Arizona school district that ignored state safety guidelines and voted to begin in-person learning on Aug. 17 has had to cancel classes after staff said it was unsafe to return and called in sick.
    Greater Phoenix's J.O. Combs Unified School District cancelled all instruction for Monday due to "insufficient staffing," days after its board disregarded state benchmarks on when students can safely return to classes during the pandemic.
    The "sick out" underlined the difficulties in returning to in-person learning in the United States after schools in Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama closed this week as students and staff were infected with COVID-19 or forced to self-isolate from exposure.
    "We have received an overwhelming response from staff indicating that they do not feel safe returning to classrooms with students," J.O. Combs District Superintendent Gregory Wyman said in a statement, adding that he did not know when in-person learning would resume.

I am not sure what to think of all of this, for folks that had Nine Months to come up with a plan, this seems to have fallen apart immediately.
    Being that this is all happening weeks from an election, I have some opinions as to what this is and that's some pretty ugly thoughts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    An Arizona school district that ignored state safety guidelines and voted to begin in-person learning on Aug. 17 has had to cancel classes after staff said it was unsafe to return and called in sick.
    Greater Phoenix's J.O. Combs Unified School District cancelled all instruction for Monday due to "insufficient staffing," days after its board disregarded state benchmarks on when students can safely return to classes during the pandemic.
    The "sick out" underlined the difficulties in returning to in-person learning in the United States after schools in Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama closed this week as students and staff were infected with COVID-19 or forced to self-isolate from exposure.
    "We have received an overwhelming response from staff indicating that they do not feel safe returning to classrooms with students," J.O. Combs District Superintendent Gregory Wyman said in a statement, adding that he did not know when in-person learning would resume.

I am not sure what to think of all of this, for folks that had Nine Months to come up with a plan, this seems to have fallen apart immediately.
    Being that this is all happening weeks from an election, I have some opinions as to what this is and that's some pretty ugly thoughts.
    If the teaching staff do not feel safe returning to classrooms with students then they shouldn't feel safe going grocery shopping or running their daily errands. They are just indolent pricks as far as I'm concerned, perhaps their taxpayers don't feel safe wasting their tax dollars on bunch of leeches either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post

OMG this is sad. What a bunch of spineless cowards.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I just wish I could recoup the taxes I paid for public schooling since I withdrew my kids from it 7 years ago. I had to run into town today and it was crowded- people in stores, restaurants, everywhere. But it is still too bad for public schools? Ok, so if schools are all going virtual then they only need a fraction of the teachers they have now, so let the layoffs begin. Newsflash- the Wuhan Flu is not going away and the only way forward is through herd immunity. Which does not happen by locking everyone in their homes.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Baldgui View Post
    Let the teachers strike, let them stay home, let them be replaced entirely by specific home school specialized instructors. The hidden 'benefit' of covid may be bringing to light a revision of the education system and the elimination of a great number of indolent, ineffectual, 'teachurs'.
    Unfortunately, “elimination of a great number of indolent, ineffectual, 'teachurs' “ is not possible when you have a nation wide teacher shortage.

“Job creation for public teachers nationwide has not kept up with growing student enrollment, resulting in a shortfall of 307,000 teaching jobs, according to the Economic Policy Institute.”

https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...teacher-strike

I’m afraid the teachers have too much leverage in this situation.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast