Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: So will Teachers strike ?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    In one year we went from year round school lunches and care packages of food being necessary to keep school kids from starving to death and federally funded after school activities being required for minority children to understand their cultures and improve their educational opportunities to "oh, the kids will dutifully sit in front of a computer all day and learn or we will all die."
    Smart teachers will see the handwriting in the wall (not in cursive, mind you) and start parlaying their specialty into a product that is portable, transportable, and easy to teach and learn, and tell the public school apparatus to "shove it". Anyone can teach the A-B-C and how to count; the real expertise is in curriculum development, writing objectives, and measuring outcomes.

Feedback Score
    All of this is hitting at a strange time for me. I have a one year old and we've been talking about education. I'm not really a fan of public schooling for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is it's emphasis on standardized testing and removal of critical thought. I despise the "Play the game and pass" mentality.

I went to private school from 6th grade on, and it was a good experience. But private schools around me (Northern Virginia) are $30k+ per year, which just isn't going to happen, especially since we get by on only my income.

But since that means my wife is a stay at home (and I'm working remotely full time for the near future), I think there's an opportunity to take advantage of homeschooling. We're definitely leaning that route, and are doing our homework on the available curriculums and such to support it. With such an uptick in people electing to go this route in the last several months, I suspect there's going to be an explosion in available curriculum and teaching methods.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    So it seems Teachers may strike rather than return to the classroom, it would appear that the Union is behind them.
    Hmmmm, I hope they don't do this, but I believe they should be fired if they do.
    Grocery clerks, Truckers, Doctors, Law Enforcement. Factory workers.
    So why should Teachers be exempt?
    I’m a public school teacher. I’ve not heard of anyone wanting to go on strike at least in my area. I find it odd that I have not heard of any of this at all until I read it on M4C.net. No sources cited. Is this for real? Sounds sensationalized, perhaps a political bent. Yes, I know that the education world has a left leaning bias. That make it a clear target for a political attack by the right. (Not saying it isn’t deserved, but I am saying it probably has more political motivation, rather than improving the educational system). I abhor politics.

I just read through this whole thread. Seems like the majority of posts are anti-teacher, anti-public education. It seems like public education is the right’s version of defund the police.

You hear some news stories of bad teachers, left wing indoctrination, etc., and now the whole system is corrupt. Kinda reminds me of how law enforcement as an institution is being treated right now.

Public education is not perfect, but don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

BTW, I love teaching. It is the best profession in the world.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold/Bore View Post
    I’m a public school teacher. I’ve not heard of anyone wanting to go on strike at least in my area. I find it odd that I have not heard of any of this at all until I read it on M4C.net. No sources cited. Is this for real? Sounds sensationalized, perhaps a political bent. Yes, I know that the education world has a left leaning bias. That make it a clear target for a political attack by the right. (Not saying it isn’t deserved, but I am saying it probably has more political motivation, rather than improving the educational system). I abhor politics.

I just read through this whole thread. Seems like the majority of posts are anti-teacher, anti-public education. It seems like public education is the right’s version of defund the police.

You hear some news stories of bad teachers, left wing indoctrination, etc., and now the whole system is corrupt. Kinda reminds me of how law enforcement as an institution is being treated right now.

Public education is not perfect, but don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

BTW, I love teaching. It is the best profession in the world.
    Really? Never heard about possible strikes by teachers? Hopefully you don't teach Current Events https://www.google.com/search?q=teac...0&bih=615#ip=1

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Really? Never heard about possible strikes by teachers? Hopefully you don't teach Current Events https://www.google.com/search?q=teac...0&bih=615#ip=1
    Nope. Middle school Spanish teacher. I browsed through some of the articles that came up with the google search and it seems like most of the cases of teachers threatening strikes is far more localized than wide spread. In fact, look at the first article that comes up:
    Chicago. Things are already nuts there, so don’t use them as a litmus test for the rest of the nation. I’m pretty sure that in all the cases, the journalists are polling from a small sample source and everybody thinks that when the article says “teachers” that means “all teachers,” or “most of the nation’s teachers.”

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Nope. Middle school Spanish teacher. I browsed through some of the articles that came up with the google search and it seems like most of the cases of teachers threatening strikes is far more localized than wide spread. In fact, look at the first article that comes up:
    Chicago. Things are already nuts there, so don’t use them as a litmus test for the rest of the nation. I’m pretty sure that in all the cases, the journalists are polling from a small sample source and everybody thinks that when the article says “teachers” that means “all teachers,” or “most of the nation’s teachers.”
    Theats of strikes are worldwide, but in truth teachers teach because they love teaching kids. Kind of like cops, it only takes a few bad apples to give people a false impression.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Theats of strikes are worldwide, but in truth teachers teach because they love teaching kids. Kind of like cops, it only takes a few bad apples to give people a false impression.

Andy
    Thank you for recognizing this. The war on teachers is pretty real. There is concerted effort in this country to undermine many of its institutions like public education and police force. The MSM is sensationalizing small pockets of dysfunction in our country to sell advertising space/time. Most news headlines are pretty much clickbait.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Thank you for recognizing this. The war on teachers is pretty real. There is concerted effort in this country to undermine many of its institutions like public education and police force. The MSM is sensationalizing small pockets of dysfunction in our country to sell advertising space/time. Most news headlines are pretty much clickbait.
    Well considering the continual effort to revamp curriculums; diminish if not completely eliminate education on civics, government, and history in general all the while emphasizing and promoting alternative lifestyles, gender fluidity, the fallacy that is systemic racism, and reducing academic standards to foster inclusivity and ameliorate “inequality” I’d say a lot of that angst to undermine and oppose is warranted.

No doubt public educators have a challenging gig but to suggest the quality of education over hasn’t been steadily declining despite more and more money, technology, etc being pumped into districts (wonder where all that’s going) I’d argue is incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    "War on teachers"? Teachers have been complicit in the making of little leftist since John Dewey.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Well considering the continual effort to revamp curriculums; diminish if not completely eliminate education on civics, government, and history in general all the while emphasizing and promoting alternative lifestyles, gender fluidity, the fallacy that is systemic racism, and reducing academic standards to foster inclusivity and ameliorate “inequality” I’d say a lot of that angst to undermine and oppose is warranted.

No doubt public educators have a challenging gig but to suggest the quality of education over hasn’t been steadily declining despite more and more money, technology, etc being pumped into districts (wonder where all that’s going) I’d argue is incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would agree with you on much of what you have listed here. There is far too much ideology being injected into schools, there is a lot of wasted spending on tech and programs.

There is a lot of money to be made on education and businesses with the help of politicians are keen to capitalize. Manufacture a problem. Have a ready made solution to the problem you can sell. Laugh your way all the way to the bank.

Again I will say it. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. The solution to bad public schools is not eliminating public schools. It’s better public schools.

But in reality are American public schools really that bad? Not really. If you control for poverty, American students do as well or better than the rest of the world.

Protecting Students Against the Effects of Poverty: Libraries

Stephen Krashen

New England Reading Association Journal

Despite the current interest in school "reform," and despite the current movement to radically change schools and teaching, there is no evidence that school itself needs to change dramatically. There is no evidence that teachers these days are worse than they were in the past, that parents these days are more irresponsible than they were in the past, or that students these days are lazier than they were in the past.
    Can schools improve? Of course. Nearly all educators work for improvement all the time. But we do not need "reform." We do not need radical changes in the structure of school, in teacher evaluation, teacher education, etc.
    The main evidence for the claim that our schools have failed is the fact that American students have not done especially well on international tests of math and science. Studies show, however, that American students from well-funded schools who come from high- income families outscore nearly all other countries on these kinds of tests (Payne and Biddle, 1999; Bracey, 2009; Martin, 2009). The mediocre overall scores are because the US has a very high percentage of children in poverty, over 20%, compared to Denmark's 3% (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ec...-child-poverty. (1)
    Our educational system has been successful; the problem is poverty.

You can read the rest here:

http://www.sdkrashen.com/content/art...g_students.pdf

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast