Thread: (Army) 33yo non prior service. Help decide on a combat MOS

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

(Army) 33yo non prior service. Help decide on a combat MOS

I've done a lot of research but the info is rather shallow and sometimes very dated.

Looking for input from those with experience in one or more of the above. Honest pros and cons.

I mention my age because although I've always taken fitness seriously, you all would know something to expect that I might not. I'm well aware that mil is different (physically and mentally) than working out/recreational sports.

I really like the idea of basic combat knowledge/tactics but with a high/guaranteed chance of unconventional training and schools.. Sniper, sere, sapper, etc.. Also the more deployments, the better. I want to travel a lot.

From my limited knowledge:

-Infantry-

Pros:

lots of basic gunplay, challenging, pride.. Path to ranger or sf pipeline

Cons:

perhaps one dimensional? Just conventional unit tactics without extra knowledge/responsibilities?

-Cav scout-

Pros:

basic infantry unit tactics PLUS sniper, recon, smaller unit tactics, I've heard some demo and boobytrapping etc? More land nav? Sounds pretty fun

Cons:

perhaps not as good at conventional tactics (training time)

possibly a higher chance of death/pow risk in combat being in smaller forward groups? Hard to hide with large vehicles..

Garrison being primarily tank maintenance?

-Combat engineer-

Pros: Train with/attached to infantry, get to possibly blow shit up very often?

Cons: building boring but useful shit like bridges and fobs, have heard negative things about not being on raids with infantry.. Sometimes just setting up fences or driving down roads checking for IEDs nonstop forever (not seeing action in combat deployment would suck)

Also may be interested in EOD.. I have 4 years at a stem university and test well (96 asvab, 134 gt) but don't want to end up as a bad luck washout going wherever needs of army sends me

Please correct me if I'm wrong, share your perspective, any advice you might have, etc

Help me have the most fun possible. I want something that's at least somewhat HSLD.

Also, my recruiter is telling me these days its very rare to get slots in a contract for schools.. That it's now done in/after OSUT by various recruiters/cadre. Is this really true?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Sturmtag; 07-30-20 at 13:43.