Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: (Army) 33yo non prior service. Help decide on a combat MOS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Ugh. I have to go to one in August. Gross.
    You know a DD214 protects you from such stupidity.

I don’t regret doing an enlistment in the infantry (USMC), but honestly prior to deployment especially prior to 9/11 a solid 75% of any given day was usually completely pointless bullshit as a junior enlisted. Now we’re back to a basically peacetime military, so back to busy work and garrison bullshit.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 07-31-20 at 22:28.

Feedback Score

(Army) 33yo non prior service. Help decide on a combat MOS

ETA: Bottom line....I have to agree with folks that feel your best opportunity passes. But if this is something you feel like you need to do, it won’t kill ya, and it’s not a life sentence.

Some folks said USAF Security Forces as an option. It’s become a good career choice over the years, and motivated, sharp performers do well. I have several SF friends who retired as E8/9’s.

But at 33 years old? Not sure you can even enlist in the AF at that age. I know when I was in max age was 28, 32 for ANG and AFReserves.

Your issue will be you’ll be the odd guy out in pretty much every situation for the first 4-6 years minimum. You’ll be an old guy among your grade peers and a very junior ranking troop among your age peers.

It will take until E6 to start feeling like you’re in the right crown, and even then you’ll be the old guy at late
    30’s. By the time you hit E7, you’ll be with guys your age, but they will be retiring left and right...hitting their 20 years while you’ll be just half way.

It will be a tough road. Know that going in. Use your brains more than your brawn and you will do okay...

I retired in 2010 at 47 after 28 years. I still work in DOD...mostly with a bunch or retired AF, Navy, and Army folks. I do miss my uniform, but I still enjoy the culture, even if it is getting way more PC these days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 08-01-20 at 10:14.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    You know a DD214 protects you from such stupidity.
    I’m 4 years out from retirement.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Ahhhh so you’re about the same age as the OP?

See OP, the ship done sailed.

Feedback Score
    From the OP via PM:

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmtag
    I'm the OP of the general thread re: enlisting at 33.

I can't post there yet, so would you please post for me?

Just wanted to thank you and others on both sides of the issue for being real with me. It's exactly what I wanted and needed. I'm talking with an AF recruiter and I may go security forces, but he told me they're also hiring for the space force now (I laughed but now I'm curious).. Still leaning towards AF security forces. Machine guns, good food, hot women, etc. I'd also have an Associate's degree very quickly with my current credits, and finishing my bachelor's afterward.. In my situation, at my age, it really may be the best fit for me and my best long-term contribution.

Thanks again

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Don’t forget painting rocks and stupid shit like that. Thats why I suggested 68W. “Uhm Sergeant, I’d love to, but I’ve got HIPAA training to do up at Battalion today”
    Luckily he came in at a time and went to a place where (you probably know the neighborhood) it was straight out of the gate for him, somewhere around 2005ish.

Regardless of where you end up OP, the first year out of boot camp is gonna have you regretting your decision. You're going to get hazed and forced to do stupid shit. My only word of advice is to embrace it but plot to advance. Volunteer for everything, use your age and maturity to your advantage, don't brown nose but don't have a mightier than thou attitude.

If it's consoling at all, I've heard through the grapevine that there's dudes getting assessed and selected to serve in the Regiment in their 40s. Anything is possible, just stay focused.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    My middle son joined the Army as an Airborne 11B at 28 after a few false starts finding a path in life. It has not been easy physically, plus he got caught up in the Corona CF in training and when he PCSed to Europe. On the flip side, he is doing something worthwhile and can definitely come out better off than he went in. I retired from the Army at 39 with 22 years service (POG). Basic, etc was a cakewalk at 17/18, I am sure they suck at 33.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I would finish your degree and apply to the CIA. You’ll have people your age going through the pipeline and you wont have some 21 year old E4 chewing your ass over silly bs. You’ll get similar training to the SF community. The only thing is you’ll spend your career overseas most of the time.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There are millions of unfilled cybersecurity jobs and the numbers are trending up.

Feedback Score
    I'd go with federal law enforcement if you can instead. WAY better pay, you'll be with people your age and maturity, and you can find a better place to put your life and professional experience to good use. Admittedly, it's a tougher gig to get, and the hiring pipeline is long, but the payoff is much better. You also won't be vilified like local law enforcement. Plus, if you want to do high speed stuff, pretty much every federal LE agency has SWAT/counterterrorism units.

Honestly, I wouldn't consider the military unless there was a war and a draft and you were going to get drafted anyway. I'm speaking more from a physical perspective. No matter how hard we train, we're not going to keep up with guys 15 years younger than us who are doing the same training. There's a reason that pro athletes' careers rarely extend beyond their late 30s or early 40s. We may keep the same level of muscle strength, but the military is about muscle and aerobic endurance.
    Last edited by BoringGuy45; 08-01-20 at 21:08.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast