Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (Army) 33yo non prior service. Help decide on a combat MOS

Feedback Score

(Army) 33yo non prior service. Help decide on a combat MOS

I've done a lot of research but the info is rather shallow and sometimes very dated.

Looking for input from those with experience in one or more of the above. Honest pros and cons.

I mention my age because although I've always taken fitness seriously, you all would know something to expect that I might not. I'm well aware that mil is different (physically and mentally) than working out/recreational sports.

I really like the idea of basic combat knowledge/tactics but with a high/guaranteed chance of unconventional training and schools.. Sniper, sere, sapper, etc.. Also the more deployments, the better. I want to travel a lot.

From my limited knowledge:

-Infantry-

Pros:

lots of basic gunplay, challenging, pride.. Path to ranger or sf pipeline

Cons:

perhaps one dimensional? Just conventional unit tactics without extra knowledge/responsibilities?

-Cav scout-

Pros:

basic infantry unit tactics PLUS sniper, recon, smaller unit tactics, I've heard some demo and boobytrapping etc? More land nav? Sounds pretty fun

Cons:

perhaps not as good at conventional tactics (training time)

possibly a higher chance of death/pow risk in combat being in smaller forward groups? Hard to hide with large vehicles..

Garrison being primarily tank maintenance?

-Combat engineer-

Pros: Train with/attached to infantry, get to possibly blow shit up very often?

Cons: building boring but useful shit like bridges and fobs, have heard negative things about not being on raids with infantry.. Sometimes just setting up fences or driving down roads checking for IEDs nonstop forever (not seeing action in combat deployment would suck)

Also may be interested in EOD.. I have 4 years at a stem university and test well (96 asvab, 134 gt) but don't want to end up as a bad luck washout going wherever needs of army sends me

Please correct me if I'm wrong, share your perspective, any advice you might have, etc

Help me have the most fun possible. I want something that's at least somewhat HSLD.

Also, my recruiter is telling me these days its very rare to get slots in a contract for schools.. That it's now done in/after OSUT by various recruiters/cadre. Is this really true?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Sturmtag; 07-30-20 at 13:43.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The only way to guarantee anything is by the contract. Want Airborne, get it in the contract. Ranger? 40X in the contract. SFAS? 18X in the contract, etc.

Only you can answer what you want to do. How about Officer, with a degree and GT you would be eligible. Many, Many options. Narrow it down and then people can help.

My 2 cents is always go SOF if you have the drive and maturity. That could be Rangers, SF, PSYOP, CA, etc.
    SF

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In my opinion you're a fool to join at 33, with a STEM degree? You said you have four years at the school but you didn't indicate whether or not you have the degree. The military is a young man's game for many many reasons. I turned 20 when I was in basic and was considered on the more mature side for the flight. My TI was only 23. The oldest dude we had was like 32 and in the guard. Even though he was a full time LEO; AF BMT was really a struggle for him. He dislocated his shoulder on the O course. You are gonna have kids 10 years younger than you, with half your IQ; telling you what a lame POS you are, because they figured it out themselves only last month. Lastly the MOS doesn't always guarantee the 'right deployment'. When I was in Afghanistan in '13 we fell under the 82nd Airborne. I saw dudes with airborne tabs do basic security around base. Controlling entry points, checking ID's, ect. My own sister unit was a cav platoon and they where not the least bit impressive to watch on patrol. Flat out the only Army guys I ever was comfortable being around outside the wire where the Ranger's or SF dudes. Everyone else is way too 'just off the HS football team'.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Is your main goal just to do some badass gun stuff like you’d see in movies?

How fit are you?

Do you have a family?

And related to above, do you care about money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My 2 cents: you’re too old for a Ranger scroll, maybe not a tab. If you really want to do it you better do it quickly. If I were you I’d look into NG SF, 19th or 20th Group.

Feedback Score
    I don't have a degree yet. I changed majors and have another year-1.5 to finish my bachelor's. Which I may just do online slowly during active duty.

I have no interest in becoming an officer. No love for money. I want training, capabilities, and memories.

I'm also not looking for training for a civilian job afterward. This is for serving my country, life experience, and fun (I'm well aware it won't always be fun.)

I don't think I'm too old.. The age limit for SFAS is 36 and for big army enlistment is 35. I also have a few years experience studying with bright and upstanding 18-20yo. So being around that age group isn't a big deal to me. Perhaps for most people my age, it would be. But I get along just fine.

I have no premonitions or delusions. I'm not a movie-watching wannabe copycat. I've had a rough and interesting life. I bust my ass and I'm rather intense. I like to think that if somebody at my age would be just fine, it'd be somebody like me.

I'm very interested in SF, but the 18x enlistment option now says max age of 28 (unwaiverable.) I've also read that the avg selected is 31yo.. And that the avg Ranger is 21yo. Perhaps I'll approach SF pipeline the long, traditional route.

No wife. No kids. I don't even deal with dating bs anymore. No ties.

As for fitness, the new ACFT is a breeze.. I would easily max it all besides distance running. Which I have time to bring back up to speed. I don't want to ship until January.

If I don't enlist I know I'll regret it forever. I'd rather die than live with regret but that's just me. I need to do this.
    Last edited by Sturmtag; 07-30-20 at 14:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    My 2 cents: you’re too old for a Ranger scroll, maybe not a tab. If you really want to do it you better do it quickly. If I were you I’d look into NG SF, 19th or 20th Group.
    Thanks. Would you care to explain why too old for ranger bn and why SF might be a better fit? Culture/pipeline/standards? I appreciate your input

The NG SF option is very interesting.. I just thought active might be better for me re: preparation/training for selection as well as the fact that I'm a current student, not in an established career. So life would just be easier/more simple as active duty.

It's just the 18x age limit ordeal. I could put in a packet after 11x/19d OSUT if I go active duty

EDIT: I now don't see this thread in the forum and when I try to reply, it says I don't have permission to access this page.. What's the deal?
    Last edited by Sturmtag; 07-30-20 at 15:43.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Would you pass the physical at MEPS?

I don’t mean strength, endurance, and all that. As we age, lots of little things come up that can get in the way. Besides the advice from others who know 100% more about the military path itself, I’d get yourself thoroughly physically vetted by someone before you start down a lengthy road.

In your shoes, as cool as it sounds, I’d really listen to those who have the actual experience. I know that after a lot of research, I had zero interest in anything other than SF or an officer path (aviation wasn’t an option for me).

Then again, I had a friend the exact same age as me who went in a year earlier and now flies choppers. Loves his life. But he was about 27, and a lot of luck happened.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 07-30-20 at 17:24.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    At your age, you absolutely, positively, without a doubt will be happier on the SOF side of the house.
    If you can't get 18x due to age, go the traditional route.
    But I'd recommend going through a more technical career field than 11x.
    Have you talked to a recruiter?

ETA: you can't reply because this was apparently moved to "GD" which has a minimum post count before ability to actively participate.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You’re not to old to be a Ranger, I think. Try for 68W with a Ranger contract, and move to SF or other from there. To be sure, call a SORB recruiter to ask about age. They are not the ones that get you into the Army, but rather the ones that get people moved from big Army to SOF. So, they will know the answer to the age question and have no reason to bullshit you.

Edit: do not, under any circumstances, join the Reserves. Ever. For any reason. Don’t.

Edit 2: I spoke to a SORB recruiter to satisfy my curiosity. There does not appear to be an age problem for getting into 75rr as long as you have a 105GT and wreck PT.
    Last edited by 1168; 07-30-20 at 16:59.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast