If I was your age and thinking the way you are I'd enlist for Air Force Security Police, maybe a NG unit. They get to play with guns and the USAF life is undoubtedly better than the Army or Marine Corps (probably Navy too, unless you like being cooped up for months at a time with nowhere else to go). The USAF security forces have evolved over the years to become not just gate guards anymore.

I do not regret my choice when I joined. I enlisted in Army Delayed Entry right after I turned 17 and was in it my whole senior year of high school. I left for active duty the day after I turned 18. There is a reason why Infantry or higher on the food chain are generally gotten into as a "kid" (talking first delving into it, not career guys who stay). When you get older you have more sense!

As an "old[er]" fella I am more mentally mature than I was as an 18yo kid. My body, however, is also. Kind of flip-flopped.....I could run and do PT quite well, but was basically a rebellious punk. Now my mind is right but I'd be in a wheelchair if I did the physical stuff I did then!

While I still keep in decent shape, I couldn't do the running/rucking that was required of me then. The other thing that would bother me is the obviously stupid shit you do and merely mentioning a better way gets you an "At ease!" The Army, especially the Infantry, isn't known for geniuses setting protocols on how to do things. It is the Army way, and that's it.

I still say USAF Security Forces if "gunning" it is your thing.