Dude has a college degree in STEM? Dude is 33 years old?

Uhhh...... yeah I don’t think enlisting at that age is a good plan. Sorry but infantry is a younger man’s game, at 33 even in good shape you’re going to be much more likely to pick up an injury and take a lot longer to recover from injuries. You’re starting out 5-7 years younger than a lot of career guy’s age when they retire.

Here’s what will happen you’re a grown ass man, you’re going to go to boot camp with some kids young enough to almost be your kids. You will be treated like a kid, but hey it’s boot right? Things will be better when I get to my unit. Nope. You’re still a private, and will be treated as such. This goes beyond mere private busy work, you’re going to be treated like a moron by policy like you were 18-19 years old. Every aspect of your current adult life where you get to make decisions will go away to be replaced with your unit dumbing your existence down to what an 18 year old can be expected to do and not totally screw up. Plus GWOT is winding down, you’re not deploying anywhere any time soon.

You will get to enjoy this existence until you’re able to get a shot at doing something that doesn’t totally suck a bag of dicks. Then you go to Q course or RIP or whatever have you, and try to not get injured and keep up with kids who are PT studs, or guys your age who have been doing this stuff since age 18 have forgotten more than you know at this point.

So unless you get a contract specifically giving you a direct shot at SF, you should run away. Do not walk, run. Also remember if you fail, the Army still gets to keep you, and you will just be another private.

If you currently have gainful employment I think I’d stick with that.

Sorry to be a downer but someone needed to point out some harsh reality.

Now if you want to commission.... that might be a better route. A 2nd Lt might show up knowing almost nothing but he is still an officer, and that means less menial stupidity.