Thread: School me on Throwing Axes for beginners

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

School me on Throwing Axes for beginners

I could search the internet but am looking for opinions of M4C members as generally everyone is very helpful and knowledgeable. Looking for your experiences in getting started throwing axes on your property or in the woods, not going to some bougie axe bar. Guides, equipment, tips and techniques, et cetera. Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Cold Steel Norse Hawks are cheap and good enough quality to learn on. More importantly, the toe and heel are elongated increasing your chances of sticking.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Cold Steel Norse Hawks are cheap and good enough quality to learn on. More importantly, the toe and heel are elongated increasing your chances of sticking.
    Nice, thanks I saw that one in an initial search. Affordable and simple.
    Definitely need some guidance on a backstop now.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Forgot to mention one concern about the CS hawks. Unless they've changed their mfg method, the ones I've seen have been rather loosely fitted relying on a set screw to help keep the head in place. Just make sure to keep it tightened or fit a new handle.

As far as a backstop in the woods, I'd just make sure nothing was downrange so to speak

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Forgot to mention one concern about the CS hawks. Unless they've changed their mfg method, the ones I've seen have been rather loosely fitted relying on a set screw to help keep the head in place. Just make sure to keep it tightened or fit a new handle.

As far as a backstop in the woods, I'd just make sure nothing was downrange so to speak
    Thanks read about the handle set screw issue in a number of online reviews. Found this on the backstop, it’s pretty helpful.
    https://worldaxethrowingleague.com/b...arget-at-home/

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Ultimately built a target. It came out well. Some 1”x6”s and screws and a circular saw and a level was all I needed. I repurposed this old kids play set deck, turned on it’s side, and it makes a solid backstop. Axes are inexpensive SOG brand, just because of the value pricing. I figured I could move up to proper axes after some practice. I think it came out well and it’s hella fun. Total cost including refreshments was sub $100.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For the best throwing ‘hawks’ (actually referred to as tomahawks ) you should go to muzzleloading sites or vendors like Crazy Crow or Jedidiah Star, who also sell ‘how to’ books on throwing tomahawks and knives.

Off-topic, but most interesting... unlike that scene in the Mel Gibson ’Patriot’ movie, one did NOT throw your tomahawk away! A knife? Maybe ... as any good Frenchman, courier de bois or French milicien, would carry 3 at a minimum (at neck, waist/sash, & leggings)!
    Last edited by Lefty223; 08-26-20 at 19:55.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!