Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: FSB's in 2020?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

FSB's in 2020?

In 2007 most were in favor of (unshaved) front sight bases on serious guns, nearly unanimously in the case of unmagnified optics. (The thread then digressed into the value of pinning.) Browsing the photo threads today I see a lot of guns without a FSB. Do serious builds by the most knowledgeable still use FSB's?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hell yes. An AR with no fixed FSB is not a serious fighting gun to me.

(don't get me wrong. I have lo pro blocks/FF rails and all that. They make great target guns and are good for long range stuff)
    Last edited by markm; 07-31-20 at 08:44.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wouldn’t put myself in the “most knowledgeable” category but I have fixed FSBs on every AR I currently have. I have a Sionics Patrol 3XL upper en route to me via UPS as we speak, and that has a free float handguard, because there is something specific I’m going to do with that upper that a free float works better for. In general though, I like fixed FSBs. I still shoot iron sights a lot too though, and probably because of that in most cases I feel better with a set of durable open sights that are a bit more substantial than simply rudimentary “back ups” to an optic.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would think that is all personal preference and what the gun is going to be used for. Like a general patrol rifle with a red dot I see how in the quotes post that works, I have one rifle set up like that myself only my rear sight is fixed too. But with the use of magnified optics and or night vision equipment that’s space wasted on what may be a tertiary aiming device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    There are many many tier 1 unite without FSBs. I don’t think they hurt, but a requirement? I’m not so sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I am not most knowledgeable, but comments like markm’s have kept my go-to carbine with a FSB. In fact, it is a Kino, so the FSB’s only function is as a sight.

Feedback Score
    So I personally like a front site post of some sort, but all my barrels save 1, are free floated with a low profile gas block. I usually run a DD fixed front site post on my go to AR's because of that institutional Marine Corps knowledge that I can refer to it if I have an issue, but this was what I was taught in 2007. Having said that, I do have a beater gun with an Aimpoint Pro that still runs the old plastic magpul backups and I don't have an issue using that if I had to in a life or death situation. I look at my buddy who uses his for work and has magpul pro offsets folded down to allow for a dbal/ light and pressure pad, no FSB. I would refer to @Nowski87, it might just be personal preference.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    We need some more manufacturers to make FSP cutout rails. DD and Centurion are all I’ve seen. You would think Geissele might make one.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    We need some more manufacturers to make FSP cutout rails. DD and Centurion are all I’ve seen. You would think Geissele might make one.
    PRI and Scalarworks makes them as well.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Slight thread hi-jack.

I'm converting two Colt 6920 rifles from DD 7.0 & 12.0 Omega rails to some type of M-LOK rails. Is there really a reason to have rail in front of the FSB? The additional real estate is nice, but I've never used it.

Thoughts?
    Here comes the thunder.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast